• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

29 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

You probably need 1-2" Monday or a D1 is coming to M-Ville. 

It won't matter. Marysville, Harrisburg, Rouzerville...anywhere outside of Middletown could go the next 6 months with no rain but if MDT is above normal, no drought.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8:20pm: Ending the day in Williamsport with some hazy skies and patches of sunshine coming through windows. 80 with DP of 58. Not so bad. 

1. I was surprised to see these maps showing big shift in Tornado Alley. Here is older one in which worst storms concentrated in just a few Plains states: 

image.png.2e9946065ea1778f2f8a1f7bad66b437.png

Tornado map from 1986-2020 looks very different. Lots more yellow than green for one thing.

Source used for article: new study released in the Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology

image.png.8be6548ba87e68599344dc2562c67c27.png

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13655441/Tornado-Alley-shifted-east-midwest-study.html

2. If you want to see some high bad air numbers, go take a look at air quality map at purpleair.com and move to the middle of the country and further west:

https://map.purpleair.com/1/mAQI/a10/p604800/cC0#7.34/40.747/-77.123/33.4 

I copied link for my area but you can expand it out using your fingers all over place. Lots of wildfires and smokey air out in western half of US and Canada. I hope this doesn't come our way.

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It won't matter. Marysville, Harrisburg, Rouzerville...anywhere outside of Middletown could go the next 6 months with no rain but if MDT is above normal, no drought.

Exactly, the official record books show a surplus of rain for the year to date at Harrisburg & Williamsport.

If they fall behind by a few inches, then drought panic with have more relevance in my opinion.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Where did this come from? I didn't think any rain/storms were forecasted for tonight.

Screenshot_20240721_221156_Chrome.jpg

It’s been fascinating to behold. Not sure I’ve ever seen anything quite like it. I’m right in the middle of those two cells and while nearly stationary, each has been moving ever so slightly exactly opposite from one another. The western one moving SW and the eastern one moving NE. It was stunning to watch the radar loop as I got shafted to the tune of .01”. 

• Like 1

What MDT gets matters.

Just look at this past snowfall season. My yard, just 20 minutes from MDT, got 25 inches of snow, which is just slightly below the MDT normal of 30 inches.

During the final February snow event this year, MDT missed out on the heavy band of snow that crushed my yard, & the northern Harrisburg suburbs. My yard got 7” & MDT got less than 2” from that event. That single band of snow caused MDT’s seasonal total to end up at 18” instead of what could have been near 24” if they got in that heavy band. The MDT seasonal total would have been fairly respectable.

No one should care about my yard!

History will remember & show the MDT total. When we collectively look back, we will look at MDT stats to shape our assessments of a given year.

13 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

It’s been fascinating to behold. Not sure I’ve ever seen anything quite like it. I’m right in the middle of those two cells and while nearly stationary, each has been moving ever so slightly exactly opposite from one another. The western one moving SW and the eastern one moving NE. It was stunning to watch the radar loop as I got shafted to the tune of .01”. 

I was shocked when I saw it. The only rain in the entire state, and it just popped up out of nowhere.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2024 at 10:15 AM, canderson said:

Hey @MAG5035 has the heat killed you? Been mia …

On 7/17/2024 at 10:30 AM, Atomixwx said:

I feel like he tends to be less frequent during the non-winter months unless there is a significant weather event. Apparently it hasn't been hot enough in Bellwood to post. 

Sorry I haven’t posted much lately, I usually am busier during the spring and summer months but this year I’ve been especially so and haven’t had much of a chance to post. But otherwise all is well.

It has definitely been hot enough haha. I’ve already had about 12 days of 90+ this summer to date here at home, with a max of 95ºF (twice) and several other days that were 88-89ish. Probably a fall breeze compared to some of the LSV this summer but definitely hot for this area. Only about 0.6” in rain since 6/28 and 0.44” of that came on 7/3.  Hopefully that changes this week. 

• Like 3

Discrepancies over forecast...again.

NWS  

Today
Showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 2pm. High near 81. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Tonight
Showers and thunderstorms, mainly before midnight. Patchy fog before 4am, then patchy fog after 5am. Low around 68. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

ABC27 says less than half inch through Wednesday. I wonder if NWS will cave again to ABC27?
WN_7-day.jpgBrett-Thackara.png?quality=75

8 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Exactly, the official record books show a surplus of rain for the year to date at Harrisburg & Williamsport.

If they fall behind by a few inches, then drought panic with have more relevance in my opinion.

Not sure about panic but there is this.    Any area in D1 and above is in a drought regardless of yearly surplus.  MDT is officially experiencing a drought right now.  True S Central PA a severe drought which may be expanded to Extreme tomorrow. 

image.thumb.png.840b2e9bde8e21b14e667d059c4f2b26.png

6 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

We're all going to look like ass a-holes in September talking about this drought versus surplus when we are being boated off of our roofs after the category five hits Havre de Grace and goes right up the gut.

Were long over due for a tropical storm of some sort. We had drought in 2011 and look what happened in September.

9 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

It was crazy! My wife and I were sitting in our backyard last evening when I get this text from my daughter: "how long is it going to rain like this" - she lives 1.1 miles as the crow flies from me. I'm reading this...stunned. It was a pleasant evening. There was no rain in the forecast, nothing on the radar when I looked at it around 6pm...rain was the last thing on my mind. 

There was measurable rain .2" miles south of me and .5" .6 miles from me. Marietta was under water! (it never rained a drop at our place)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

What MDT gets matters.

Just look at this past snowfall season. My yard, just 20 minutes from MDT, got 25 inches of snow, which is just slightly below the MDT normal of 30 inches.

During the final February snow event this year, MDT missed out on the heavy band of snow that crushed my yard, & the northern Harrisburg suburbs. My yard got 7” & MDT got less than 2” from that event. That single band of snow caused MDT’s seasonal total to end up at 18” instead of what could have been near 24” if they got in that heavy band. The MDT seasonal total would have been fairly respectable.

No one should care about my yard!

History will remember & show the MDT total. When we collectively look back, we will look at MDT stats to shape our assessments of a given year.

I don't disagree with you that it matters. It is this area's official recording station.

I strongly disagree with passive-aggressive comments that are made directly in response to someone talking about conditions in their yard about a serious lack of rainfall by essentially saying "MDT is above normal...what kind of fools are you to talk about some sort of phantom drought." In that situation, it absolutely DOESN'T matter what is happening at MDT. Each of us have our own realities when it comes to the weather.

I grew up in a house of Phillies fans. (sigh) Summer nights were filled with Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn on either the radio or TV. Do you know how many times Harry would say "Whitey...it's pouring at the airport" while there was nothing happening at the Vet. Whitey's response was "Harry...we're not playing at the airport." Shockingly, the Phillies continued to play on! They never once stopped the game because it was raining at PHL - that was completely, 100% irrelevant to what was happening on South Broad Street. 

The airport measurements matter...but they also don't matter at all. 

I know that there are people who agree with you on this. I respect that. I personally will find zero satisfaction in MDT getting 38" of snow this upcoming winter if I get 15". To me, and my own life...it'll be a shitty winter. Because that is my reality. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It was crazy! My wife and I were sitting in our backyard last evening when I get this text from my daughter: "how long is it going to rain like this" - she lives 1.1 miles as the crow flies from me. I'm reading this...stunned. It was a pleasant evening. There was no rain in the forecast, nothing on the radar when I looked at it around 6pm...rain was the last thing on my mind. 

There was measurable rain .2" miles south of me and .5" .6 miles from me. Marietta was under water! (it never rained a drop at our place)

That's like the inverted trough blizzard of 2009 lol

Just now, Mount Joy Snowman said:

It really was similar to that. Just completely out of the blue. Nothing in the forecast and nothing to really trigger the event. Just pure localized randomness. Weather, man. 

Eric Horst's house was ground zero for that. He measured 12.5" and was out posting videos on MU's site during all of it. To say I was a little green was an understatement. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

Tropical is boring currently. The only thing interesting just trying to figure out which way we will fail tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I think NWS calling for more today in Williamsport than last night:

Today

Showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 2pm. High near 81. South wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Tonight

Showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 1am. Patchy fog after 3am. Low around 67. Light east wind. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

On the other hand, Wunderground was about 1" last night, now just .23/.32. If we actually get thunderstorms, who knows what we will end up with? 

I think NWS calling for more today in Williamsport than last night:
Today
Showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 2pm. High near 81. South wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Tonight
Showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 1am. Patchy fog after 3am. Low around 67. Light east wind. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
On the other hand, Wunderground was about 1" last night, now just .23/.32. If we actually get thunderstorms, who knows what we will end up with? 
I'm fully expecting someone to not see sun till Friday but come away with less than 0.05"

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Sad 1