• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

Please, please, please… DT please be right…

WEEK#2(7/14-7/20): Massive mid-Summer Trough to develop across eastern Canada / Great Lakes will drop 2 Cold fronts southward across eastern US from eastern Canada. First front July 15-16 then second front JULY 17-18. The rain& storms with these fronts could be big followed by STRONG Canadian HIGH THAT WILL BRIGN ideal Mid July weather conditions JULY 18-21. Both fronts will stall across the Deep South.

WEEK #3 (7/21 - 7/28) : Massive Heat Ridge pattern across western CONUS will dry to push east but the Eastern US Trough lingers across the Great Lakes & New England so extreme heat stays W of the Mississippi River.

North of 80 tmrw probably sees several tornados. Long tracked ones along with huge super cells. Values for them are very very high. 

Cape is over 2000! That hardly ever happens in PA. I’d be shocked if they don’t put the northern tier and central mountains into enhanced category. SPC has TOR hatched at 5%. 

The LSV might even se a tornado. Though I doubt it. They’ll put us in the slight risk I’m sure tmrw late am. 

31 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Anyone see State College's Facebook post? Storms and possible tornados tomorrow evening. 

Met from MU had a lot to say about this earlier today. To echo what @candersonsaid, he expects a big threat north of I80, much smaller risk between 80 and 76, virtually no threat down this way.

Never will read this strong of wording a day before storms from CTP. 

“Beyond the heat, our main focus is on a potential and rare tornado "Outbreak" possible Wed afternoon (most of the central and northern CWA) and late afternoon/early evening across the Susq Valley and points east. The combination of instability and shear parameters are as potent as any I`ve seen in the last decade. With model guidance supporting a fairly unstable environment by afternoon (CAPEs of 1500-2000 J/kg), and eye popping shear parameters (0-1 KM EHI as high as 3-4 M2/S2 near and north of the I-80 corridor to the NY border) several HREF and 3km NAM members indicating UH values over 150 across the N Mtns, the Wed aftn storm environment is particularly supportive of upercells and possible tornadoes”

The NAM is absurd with an extreme parameter space. Verbatim, it would support a regional tornado outbreak. It has >2000 J/kg MLCAPE over the entire warm sector with >3000 J/kg near the warm front. That does not happen (rarely, if ever) in this region, coincident with highly favorable shear/hodographs.
IMG-2320.png

The HRRR is much more toned down, but even with it mixing out, you still see a supercell-favorable environment with upwards of 1000 J/kg MLCAPE. I do realize the maps show SBCAPE, but forecast soundings show similar MLCAPE.

IMG-2321.png

Typically a compromise between the two models gets you close to the end solution and that is definitely a yikes. CIPS analogs is even popping a 10% contour over parts of New York. 
IMG-2322.jpg

The only caveat with central PA is that as you get displaced more than about 150 miles from the low center, tornado and supercell probabilities decrease. You want to be closer to the inner core, where forcing and vorticity will be maximized. Also, with southward extent, expect veering of winds along the cold front. The shear profile near the warm front in New York looks ridiculous, but we’ll see how that works out. Warm fronts in the Northeast are notorious for being fickle in severe setups.
IMG-2330.jpg

Still, several CAMs show at least isolated warm sector storms across parts of NW into the northern half of the state. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Thanks for the detailed analysis, Quincy. I'm about 20 or so miles southeast of the I-80/I-81 interchange. Not sure what to expect as I seem to be on the edge of the good stuff.

Very intriguing setup. I’d definitely be out if I still lived in the Northeast. 

Broyles just added a 10% contour in the day 1 outlook up across New York. IMG-2352.jpg