• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

Most locales have again so far today here in Chester County PA failed to reach 90 degrees today through 2pm.....most locations have still not hit 90 degrees so far this "heat wave".....if you folks sweltering in the heat need a break come to the rolling highlands of Chesco for a cool break with highs "only" in the mid to upper 80's!!

15 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I agree with this sentiment. The first 3 days of the great heatwave of 2024 has not matched the hype and honestly, a lot of local forecasters predictions. What might ultimately be remembered after the fact us the duration and not the intensity.

Though...I reserve the right to change my mind at high noon on Sunday sitting in Citizens Bank Park...

Hey all.  I'm just stopping in to see how everyone is surviving the summer solstice heatwave of 2024...lols, and after reading a few posts regarding how underwhelmed some are, I'm glad I'm not alone.  Feels like normal summer to me.  Now the precip side....that's a tad light, and more concerning for farmers with young crops in fields....and eventually the water tables. 

Happy summer to all.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I will say this about East Nantmeal - depending on where I park for Philly sports events, sometimes it's easier for me to come home via the Turnpike. There have been several occasions during the winter that the weather, whether it was the amount of snow on the ground, the intensity of frozen precip falling, the condition of the turnpike itself...it's always worst right around the Peter J. Camiel Service Plaza westbound. My wife is on to this and will ask out loud when leaving Philly if we'll encounter bad conditions around that service plaza. 

I just looked up this morning where that service plaza is located...

It's either in or directly adjacent to East Nantmeal. 

Correct!! It is on the East Nantmeal to Elverson border

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mitchnick said:

In summer, I have our thermostat set at 75 during the day and 72 at night. Winter it's 67 during the day and 64 or 65 at night. 

Between new tin roof and new windows, i do pretty well on heating & cooling costs.

Modified for my almost exact info to share. 

8 hours ago, mitchnick said:

Wow. I call that camping out!

In summer, I have our thermostat set at 75 during the day and 72 at night. Winter it's 67 during the day and 64 or 65 at night. If my grandkids are over in the winter, I'll put it up 2 or 3 degrees. 

Between new attic insultation and sealing of air leakage I had a contractor do and installation of new windows, sealing, insulation of heating ducts, new exterior doors, and a variety of other insulating measures that would bore you to death I did myself, I do pretty well on heating & cooling costs.

I was set to have blown in and seal done next week and the GC just cancelled due to the heat wave.   I do not blame him not wanting to be up there but we do not have a ton of summer days where the high is much below what we have had this week.  2 87's and an 88. 

1 hour ago, ChescoWx said:

Of note through yesterday PHL Airport is well on their way to a top 5 warmest June on record with an average temperature through yesterday at 75.5 degrees.....of course a far different story away from the PHL Airport heat island problem. The 14 Chester County NWS and MADIS sites are running almost 6 degrees cooler from 68.5 degrees at Warwick to as warm as 70.9 degrees at Longwood Gardens. We are only running 1 degree above normal for most of Chester County....this will not be a top 5 warmest June for the county.....now what you will hear about Philly on the news......

Site elevation is a big factor in that. A lot of Chester County is several hundred feet higher to as much as 1,000 feet higher in the hills. Would expect most places to be at least a couple degrees cooler to as much as 4-5 degrees in the highest elevations in the northern part of the county. PHL airport is basically at sea level.

• Like 1

Familiar high of 87 today here today.  3 87's and one 88 so far during the heat wave of 2024 though I suspect we get 90's the next 3 days.   HRRR has upper 90's for the hot box concrete area of the LSV tomorrow and near 100 on Sat.   BUT, 3K has some areas of the LSV staying below 90 tomorrow with clouds and rain.  Interesting. 3K has Pillow in the 60's around the time it gets dark.  

image.thumb.png.6d13d2293295efc17f8e8cfb8ce5124a.png

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Familiar high of 87 today here today.  3 87's and one 88 so far during the heat wave of 2024 though I suspect we get 90's the next 3 days.   HRRR has upper 90's for the hot box concrete area of the LSV tomorrow and near 100 on Sat.   BUT, 3K has some areas of the LSV staying below 90 tomorrow with clouds and rain.  Interesting. 3K has Pillow in the 60's around the time it gets dark.  

image.thumb.png.6d13d2293295efc17f8e8cfb8ce5124a.png

Another 93 for me today. 3rd 93 of the week, 4th straight day above 90. 5th total for the year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Another 93 for me today. 3rd 93 of the week, 4th straight day above 90. 5th total for the year. 

The Capitol Beltway area may be in for a bad summer.   Over here, we are taking our 3 degrees above normal in stride.  LOL.  We were 15 or so AN several days this winter which is newsworthy stuff. 

• Like 1

SXUS71 KPBZ 202007
RERDUJ

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
406 PM EDT THU JUN 20 2024

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT DUBOIS...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 91 DEGREES WAS SET AT 3:53 PM EDT TODAY 
AT DUBOIS. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD FOR JUNE 20TH OF 89 DEGREES 
SET IN 1991.  THE TEMPERATURE MIGHT RISE FURTHER AND THIS RECORD 
REPORT WILL BE UPDATED IF NEEDED.  

THIS TEMPERATURE IS JUST 1F BELOW THE JUNE RECORD THAT WAS TIED ON 
JUNE 18, 2024.   

IN ADDITION, THE LOW THIS MORNING WAS 67F.  THE RECORD WARM LOW 
TEMPERATURE FOR JUNE 20TH IS 66F SET IN 1996.  SO UNLESS A 
THUNDERSTORM FORMS NEARBY AND COOLS THE TEMPERATURE BELOW 66F BEFORE 
MIDNIGHT, ANOTHER RECORD WOULD BE SET.  

$$

CRAVEN

Northeast

30- and 60-day precipitation deficits increased notably in most of the region. In areas affected by abnormal dryness last week, only part of northeastern Maine observed enough rain to experience any consequential relief. The dry weather in most of the region last week allowed 30-day totals to climb above 2 inches in most areas along the southern and eastern tiers of the region, with 2 to 4 inch deficits common from southern Pennsylvania southward through much of Maryland and West Virginia. Farther north, amounts of 0.5 to 1.5 inches below normal were more typical. Meanwhile, 60-day amounts 3 to 6 inches below normal were common from portions of New England and lower New York southward through the eastern and southern tier of the region, in addition to northwestern Pennsylvania, with near-normal totals restricted to a broken pattern of areas from northern West Virginia to northeastern Pennsylvania. On the other hand, 90-day precipitation amounts are generally near- to above-normal, with deficits of around a couple inches limited to parts of eastern Pennsylvania, Maryland, and West Virginia. Low streamflows at a level indicative of at least abnormal dryness (D0) are reported at many locations across the entire region, with concentrated areas of sharply below-normal streamflows (indicative of D2 or worse) found in parts of central and northern Maryland, south-central and southeastern Pennsylvania, southern and western New Jersey, northwestern New England, northwestern New York, and lower Upstate New York. Both modeled and observed soil moisture is declining, and is indicative of statistically significant dryness in some areas, but it has not dropped as markedly or rapidly as it has in some areas farther south, so the D0 expansion in this region – especially central and northern portions – was a little more measured than in the Southeast region. Still, conditions deteriorated to either D0 or D1 over a vast majority of West Virginia and Maryland, and large portions of adjacent southern Pennsylvania, Delaware, and southern New Jersey as well. Farther north, smaller but still substantial D0 expansion was introduced in parts of western Upstate New York, central and western New England and adjacent lower Upstate New York, portions of the greater New York City area, and northwestern New Jersey and adjacent Pennsylvania. Moderate drought (D1) was introduced in small parts of the region, specifically the Maryland portion of the DelMarVa Peninsula and part of eastern West Virginia.

Capture.JPG

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Northeast

30- and 60-day precipitation deficits increased notably in most of the region. In areas affected by abnormal dryness last week, only part of northeastern Maine observed enough rain to experience any consequential relief. The dry weather in most of the region last week allowed 30-day totals to climb above 2 inches in most areas along the southern and eastern tiers of the region, with 2 to 4 inch deficits common from southern Pennsylvania southward through much of Maryland and West Virginia. Farther north, amounts of 0.5 to 1.5 inches below normal were more typical. Meanwhile, 60-day amounts 3 to 6 inches below normal were common from portions of New England and lower New York southward through the eastern and southern tier of the region, in addition to northwestern Pennsylvania, with near-normal totals restricted to a broken pattern of areas from northern West Virginia to northeastern Pennsylvania. On the other hand, 90-day precipitation amounts are generally near- to above-normal, with deficits of around a couple inches limited to parts of eastern Pennsylvania, Maryland, and West Virginia. Low streamflows at a level indicative of at least abnormal dryness (D0) are reported at many locations across the entire region, with concentrated areas of sharply below-normal streamflows (indicative of D2 or worse) found in parts of central and northern Maryland, south-central and southeastern Pennsylvania, southern and western New Jersey, northwestern New England, northwestern New York, and lower Upstate New York. Both modeled and observed soil moisture is declining, and is indicative of statistically significant dryness in some areas, but it has not dropped as markedly or rapidly as it has in some areas farther south, so the D0 expansion in this region – especially central and northern portions – was a little more measured than in the Southeast region. Still, conditions deteriorated to either D0 or D1 over a vast majority of West Virginia and Maryland, and large portions of adjacent southern Pennsylvania, Delaware, and southern New Jersey as well. Farther north, smaller but still substantial D0 expansion was introduced in parts of western Upstate New York, central and western New England and adjacent lower Upstate New York, portions of the greater New York City area, and northwestern New Jersey and adjacent Pennsylvania. Moderate drought (D1) was introduced in small parts of the region, specifically the Maryland portion of the DelMarVa Peninsula and part of eastern West Virginia.

Capture.JPG

Still no drought in Marysville.

Mowing has ended for now, but everything else is still doing well in the yard.