Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June Discobs 2024

George BM

11 hours ago, Jrlg1181 said:

0.04 down here , when radar looked like at least 0.25

Was hopeful , but I knew it would be another disappointment when i got home and checked  ...  Slightly above a half inch in just about a full month ...

I must live on the dry side of town for this one!  Didn't receive a drop.

Nicer humidity today, but still AN temps. I biked 55 on the eastern shore and baked in the sun. If you’re ever in Oxford, hit up Scottish highlands creamery. The moon pie shake was perfect!

Based on the forecast, I’m expecting my grass to be toast by next weekend. My pepper plants should like it though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

600 dam lol

Baltimore and Philly will be pushing 100 by the end of the week.

gfs_z500a_us_20.png

If you want excessive heat, then you want to be on the north or northwest side of this high. That maximizes the warm air advection. 

21 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

If you want excessive heat, then you want to be on the north or northwest side of this high. That maximizes the warm air advection. 

Look at the advertised position of the surface high in the western Atlantic and the low/mid level flow and temps. The worst of the heat for the MA will be late week into the weekend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Look at the advertised position of the surface high in the western Atlantic and the low/mid level flow and temps. The worst of the heat for the MA will be late week into the weekend.

Yes I agree. Historically our big heat waves occur when you have strong high pressure situated from Kentucky to Bermuda.

100 degrees on Saturday is looking possible.  Rare early season heat dome, imagine another heat dome comes later in the summer, could be like the one in the PAC NW in 2021 when the highest temperature recorded in all of Canada was recorded at 121.3 degrees.  Interesting stuff.

• Like 3

We recently bought a rowhome in Bloomingdale NW as a city getaway.  We get our keys this week and this weekend will be our first weekend up in the city.  Is it a ton more oppressive downtown compared to out by the bay?   My wife has visions of walking around the mall outside but I'm thinking that's better for September, or maybe at 4am before the sun comes out...

4 hours ago, frd said:

Only Jun 20 th by that point. You think hottest summer ever here ?

Its way too early to speculate how this summer will stack up historically.  The 1930's are generally accepted as the hottest decade since 1895.   1936 witnessed more than 5000 perish from heat.  From NOAA:

image.png.affac3ddf29958733e420c913b4533df.png

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, stormy said:

Its way too early to speculate how this summer will stack up historically.  The 1930's are generally accepted as the hottest decade since 1895.   1936 witnessed more than 5000 perish from heat.  From NOAA:

The 1930s were really an extraordinary period. It’s hard to imagine, especially in the context of no air conditioning and the Great Depression. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stormy said:

The 1930s were hot but I think that graph misrepresents the degree. It’s continues to warm since so many of those records set in the 30s have since been surpassed. But the warning since was more spread out not the extreme jump the 30s were compared to prior decades. 

Sun starting to break thru the clouds here, up to 78.2 degrees at 4 pm after being in low to mid 70's all day. Was 55 this morning. SO MUCH different from the forecast for today back several days ago of 90-91 for a high. The temps for this weekend have been lowered every day since last Monday when mid 90's were called for. Was it last summer or the one before that massive heat was called for but it was punted down the road about a week at a time? 

We recently bought a rowhome in Bloomingdale NW as a city getaway.  We get our keys this week and this weekend will be our first weekend up in the city.  Is it a ton more oppressive downtown compared to out by the bay?   My wife has visions of walking around the mall outside but I'm thinking that's better for September, or maybe at 4am before the sun comes out...

It’s always at least 5 degrees warmer in the city due to UHI. I was looking at private station reports Friday and overnight lows averaged 6-8 degrees warmer in DC compared to where I’m at, about 10 miles southwest of DC.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stormy said:

Have to revisit this in July to determine feedback loops, soil moisture, changes in the pattern,etc.

There is more moisture in the atmosphere and with the West Atlantic SSTs getting ready to take off will we will be at high rish from tropical systems. 

• Like 1