Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
June Discobs 2024

George BM

1 hour ago, hstorm said:

I read “profound effects on life” to mean something much broader than just agriculture. There may or may not be a profound effect on agriculture. There will not be any profound effect on life unless the dry spell continues for significantly longer (which it won’t.)

Low of 60 here this morning. 

For many in rural areas, "life" and agriculture are interwoven. Many in my region are rapidly approaching a profound effect on their lifestyle and the lifestyle of their livestock. Streams and ponds that supply life sustaining water are nearly dry. Pastures that supply food for livestock are brown and grass is in a non growing dormant state. Corn and soy bean crops are already severely stressed.

Many in this area have received less than a quarter inch of rain during June.

About an hour ago I traveled through an intensive agriculture area about 5 - 10 miles from where I live. There is a huge multi-million dollar dairy operation within this area. They are milking 1500 head of cattle and probably have at least a thousand acres of field corn that will be chopped to provide feed for these cattle next winter. I have never seen corn this severely affected by drought!!  It is about knee high, all the blades are severely rolled up, many bottom blades yellowed out!  A farmer tells me that if we don't get a decent rain of at least a half inch in the next week this corn will start dying. This operation is on the verge of losing hundreds of thousands of dollars in crops. Irrigation is not an option for this operation.

Many others who simply enjoy vegetable gardening as a source of food see their gardens drying up.

"Major Water Supply Reservoirs"  provide 0% of needed water for most in rural areas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1