• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June Discobs 2024

George BM

This is nuts...101 on my front patio with solar curtains closed! Of course I have the worst exposure for heat events, facing south/west. Fortunately I'm able to crack the blinds on the north side away from direct heat and sun. Thermostat at 77, air temp up top at 85...yuck. Tolerable if you don't move around too much and drink ice water. Ceiling fans on. Basement of course much cooler at 76.

Minimum temps tonight are going to be a mess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowtoRain said:

Honestly, with the breeze this is not that bad

I was kinda thinking along this line. I think ... and this is, as so many of my postings are, totally unscientific ... that I internalized the heat hype so that when it arrived, I was prepared psychologically, and so it hasn't felt that bad either yesterday or today. Perception is a powerful thing. I'm actually sitting here with the window open and a/c off because I need to air out this room. Of course, I'm not carrying bales of hay in the open or wielding a jackhammer or even doing much more than walking to the store. My take on the heat would doubtlessly be a bit different in those cases, and I would be duly bitching about how eneverated I felt.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm just around the bend and need to be committed somewhere. I shouldn't be so phlegmatic about a 110 HI.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

I was kinda thinking along this line. I think ... and this is, as so many of my postings are, totally unscientific ... that I internalized the heat hype so that when it arrived, I was prepared psychologically, and so it hasn't felt that bad either yesterday or today. Perception is a powerful thing. I'm actually sitting here with the window open and a/c off because I need to air out this room. Of course, I'm not carrying bales of hay in the open or wielding a jackhammer or even doing much more than walking to the store. My take on the heat would doubtlessly be a bit different in those cases, and I would be duly bitching about how eneverated I felt.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm just around the bend and need to be committed somewhere. I shouldn't be so phlegmatic about a 110 HI.

There is such a dramatic difference experiencing heat without high humidity if you are not in the sun and not doing anything active.  

• Like 1

Still 83 approaching 930. Doesn't feel bad out at all really, but pretty impressive for here where there is zero UHI and really nothing but open fields and woods with clear skies. Probably hit a low of about 78.

• Like 1

Now that was a hot work day..

Don't recall in the past few years drinking that much non alcoholic beverages in one day... A few hours mowing grass on a farm till noon for some side cash - then 8 hours in a delivery vehicle from a certain company without ac to finish out the work day !

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, 09-10 analogy said:

A 110 heat index is serious stuff. I am the crazy pos who is around the bend a couple weeks ago piling on mulch at 3pm in the sun with 101/79.

A 110 degree heat index in DC is serious as a heart attack. Down where I am, I shouldnt think 110 is all that bad lol

• Like 1

Interesting day...  made it up to 101 at our place.  Brought back memories of living in India back in the early 90's (when I was skinny and could dissipate heat better!).  In Delhi the temps would nudge up a little almost daily through April and May before maxing out in June.  In my 3 years there we routinely hit 115-118 for weeks on end, with a max around 123 one summer - think it was 1994.

As the monsoon rains migrated across the sub-continent from the SE to the NW in late June through July, the temps subsided some with the increase in humidity.  But temps still stayed in the 108-115 range with humidity so thick you could taste it.  The HI was way off the charts used by the NWS in the US, easily in the 130+ range.  It was brutal.  About the only thing the air conditioners did in my house was provide a few comfortable zones in each room.

As a comparison, the ambient air temp was so hot the water in holding tanks on the roof of my house was much hotter than you could stand to take shower in.  Some tanks were covered to try to keep the sun off the tanks, but that didn't help much with ambient temps above 115F. (Most of the tanks are black poly, which made the water even hotter with most of the tanks exposed to the sun).  The first thing I had to do every morning was turn on the "cold" water (at well over 100F) to drain the roof tanks enough to start the pump in the backyard cistern, which would pump cool water from the underground storage cistern into the rooftop tanks.  After about 10 mins of mixing the water was cool enough to take a shower, barely.  It was a daily routine about 5 months of the year, every year. 

All the above was complicated by rolling brown-outs that interrupted power daily from a couple of hours to much longer.  Then during the drier months the city water reduced to a trickle, and often ran dry for weeks at a time.  Fortunately, my house had a 35kw generator and the Facilities crew in the Embassy had three 1500 gallon water trucks that filled the cistern in the back yards of embassy employees (most people had a cistern).  In the driest periods the trucks ran 18 hours a day non-stop.  Fortunately, the embassy had 20+ deep water wells on the embassy grounds and a 150k underground tank, which was used to fill the tanker trucks.  It was an impressive feat of logistics to keep everyone in the embassy supplied with water. 

The entire experienced helped me appreciate what we take for granted here in the good ole USA.  

• Like 9