Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June Discobs 2024

George BM

4 hours ago, dailylurker said:

America was built with no cooling stations around. 

My truck thermometer is reading 99. It's a normal summer day. Classic summer conditions. I bet the pools are packed. 

America was also built with forced labor, so I’m not sure referencing how America was built in the past helps the idea that construction workers don’t need AC. As we move into the age of new “normal” it will only become more needed, so might as well invest now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, stormy said:

You don't see that today because the air is so much cleaner than the 70's and 80's.  That is a fact though some act otherwise.

I took AP environmental science this past year and we truly don’t realize just how much the environmental legislation from the 70s onward made every part of the natural world so much better.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

I took AP environmental science this past year and we truly don’t realize just how much the environmental legislation from the 70s onward made every part of the natural world so much better.  

It was horrible. Seemingly every day was an air quality alert.

• Like 2

EPA regs and the decline of coal power are huge. I also think, but haven't seen good quantification yet (please link me if you have it) that we're really benefitting from two additional things in this decade. One, the rapidly increasing share of solar and other renewable power. Two, increasing share of hybrids and EVs in the aggregate vehicle fleet. Hopefully we can eventually clean up all the small engine crap out there too. I was born in the 80s and remember the 90s-early 00s haze and hope we never go back!

• Like 2

there is one annual cicada in the backyard who has arisen from the earth and is singing his little heart out. he’s going to be lonely as it’s at least another month before the rest of them will emerge.  

today was the hottest day so far, with a high of 94.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, IronTy said:

I must've waited fifteen red light cycles to turn from First to NY Ave.  Avoiding that whole area like the plague until construction is done.  I'm impressed they were doing work in the beating sun with no visible cooling stations around.  

i just simply try to avoid driving anywhere in the DMV if at all possible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stormy said:

You don't see that today because the air is so much cleaner than the 70's and 80's.  That is a fact though some act otherwise.

North America has made incredible strides in cleaner air thanks to legislative action that some would trash today.  The air quality in many other parts of the world is horrendous.

• Like 4

I was just thinking about the lack of hhh this week. I definitely remember more of those in the 90s. Granted, we have plenty of other issues to address, but air quality does seem to have improved.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

17.4C on the morning sounding at IAD.  The models diverge by 00z this evening, with the GFS already pushing 20 and the NAM stuck in the 18 range.  I can't fathom that the NAM will be correct here.

19.4, so somewhere in the middle.

11 hours ago, LongRanger said:

The down side is clean air lets in more light, which means more global warming.

https://skepticalscience.com/global-cooling-mid-20th-century-advanced.htm

There is an ongoing discussion/debate associated with the international requirements for reduced emissions from ships having an impact on warming.

I work for the shipping industry on the training side, and we constantly adapt our course offerings to any (new) international requirements. Currently many ships powered by 2 stroke diesels are switching over to burning LNG as a fuel because its 'cleaner'. These engines are considered dual fuel- burning diesel as a back up to the boil off gas from the LNG. Pretty complex process from storage of the fuel as a cryogenic liquid to getting it to an acceptable pressure and temperature where it can be injected into the engine.

The article linked below references a UMBC study on warming effects related to reduced SO2 emissions.

The study adds to an ongoing debate among climate scientists about the consequences of an International Maritime Organization (IMO) rule that slashed the amount of sulphur dioxide pollution in shipping emissions after 2020. That added air pollution from burning heavy marine fuel was linked to tens of thousands of deaths each year.

However, those aerosols also had a cooling effect on the climate by reflecting solar radiation directly as well as through their brightening influence on clouds over the ocean. Researchers expected that slashing those emissions would result in some warming due to the loss of sulphur dioxide’s cooling effects. But the magnitude of anticipated warming ranged widely.

Yuan and his colleagues have now estimated the warming effect of the 2020 rule using satellite observations of cloud conditions, along with mathematical models of how clouds might change in response to the expected reduction in sulphur aerosols.

The researchers calculate the drop increased the amount of solar energy heating the oceans by between 0.1 and 0.3 watts per square metre, around double that of some earlier estimates. This effect was more acute in areas of the ocean with lots of shipping activity: the North Atlantic, which has been anomalously hot since last year, experienced a warming influence more than triple the average, according to the study.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2433564-cleaner-ship-emissions-may-warm-the-planet-far-faster-than-expected/#:~:text=This effect was more acute,average%2C according to the study.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wxtrix said:

there is one annual cicada in the backyard who has arisen from the earth and is singing his little heart out. he’s going to be lonely as it’s at least another month before the rest of them will emerge.  

We were enjoying the deck a couple days ago and one of those things started shrieking about 20-30 feet from us.  I thought we had more time :fulltilt:

Noticeably more sticky this morning while out watering.  It's gonna be a scorcher

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Maxed out at 89.0 here about 5:15 pm yesterday, warmest day of the year by far. Currently 64.6/63.3 with just a bit of haze in an otherwise clear sky. 

Interesting - my 88.7 yesterday was the warmest thus far this year. Thought you woulda hit 90 by now. “Heat dome” has now surpassed “base state” as the most overused met term. Let’s hope someone breaks the century mark after hearing about the heat (endlessly) to make this bout at least noteworthy. 

• Like 2

The first time I ever saw blue skies and puffy clouds on a hot, humid day was in August 1988, during the record string of 90-degree days. Bill Kamal on channel 9 commented on how unusual it was, that the air came straight from the tropics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

It is, in fact, not normal for BWI to hit 100 a few times per summer??

Yeah, that's not true.  On average, BWI has hit 100 every other year in the past 14 years.  

https://www.currentresults.com/Yearly-Weather/USA/MD/Baltimore/extreme-annual-baltimore-high-temperature.php

image.png.59c9f644981e05ffe6f31123fae007d8.png

12 hours ago, Wxtrix said:

I thought I heard one yesterday on a bike ride, but it was someone working on their house with a circular saw. :lol:

I'll take the under though on when you hear the rest of them.

• Like 1