Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June Banter 2024

George BM

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

The BW parkway is one of the worst roads in the area (and 270 north of Clarksburg). At least we have the Express lanes in VA which are a big help for 3+ and/or paying to get somewhere quicker. 

BW parkway is terrible and straight up dangerous honestly. So is that stretch of 270. Those two take the cake for my least favorite limited access highways in MD.

• Like 2

Speaking of highways or ... er, streets, WATCH it on Connecticut Avenue around the intersection with Davenport, for those who drive that stretch. Nasty speed camera in there that takes no prisoners (two tickets at 100 a pop for doing 36-37 in a 25 zone). And the "radar enforced" sign is hard to see going southbound on Connecticut. But, hey, gotta juice that revenue stream.  

1 hour ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Speaking of highways or ... er, streets, WATCH it on Connecticut Avenue around the intersection with Davenport, for those who drive that stretch. Nasty speed camera in there that takes no prisoners (two tickets at 100 a pop for doing 36-37 in a 25 zone). And the "radar enforced" sign is hard to see going southbound on Connecticut. But, hey, gotta juice that revenue stream.  

I-295 between the Beltway and downtown used to be brutal in terms of speed cams a number of years ago, to the point where I just stopped using the f*cking road because I got a half dozen tickets in just a few month's time for only being a few miles over the speed limit. 

1 hour ago, 09-10 analogy said:

i mean i run through there all the time so i don't mind drivers slowing down and not killing people tbh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pazzo83 said:

i mean i run through there all the time so i don't mind drivers slowing down and not killing people tbh

Stick speed cameras and noise cameras (for those God awful mufflers) on every street. Insane how people drive in residential areas, especially. 

Now scram, off my lawn! B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nj2va said:

Stick speed cameras and noise cameras (for those God awful mufflers) on every street. Insane how people drive in residential areas, especially. 

Now scram, off my lawn! B)

i live on a street corner and people just blow through the stop sign all the time.  like - my kids cross the street there along with hundreds of other neighborhood kids.  just a total lack of consideration for others these days

And 100% on the noise detection - we used to live near the end of I-66 when it goes by the Watergate and the noise was ridiculous.

1 hour ago, pazzo83 said:

i live on a street corner and people just blow through the stop sign all the time.  like - my kids cross the street there along with hundreds of other neighborhood kids.  just a total lack of consideration for others these days

And 100% on the noise detection - we used to live near the end of I-66 when it goes by the Watergate and the noise was ridiculous.

They dont even get in trouble for expired tags or tint anymore. Started to see more and more limo tint on front windows and even windshield now! Cant tell if the person has seen you or is looking. Like NJ said, now get off my lawn haha.

One reason i love remote work. Not dealing with all the crazies out there. 

11 hours ago, nj2va said:

The BW parkway is one of the worst roads in the area (and 270 north of Clarksburg). At least we have the Express lanes in VA which are a big help for 3+ and/or paying to get somewhere quicker. 

And the further up 270 you go the worse it gets. 15 N seriously needs attention. Daily N and S from the 70 split to just pass Motter is a parking lot. I actually find myself going through downtown or to the East to get up to 26. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

How is 270 not three lanes to Frederick?

That would be a question for MDOT. They surveyed county residents about 2 years ago. And the response from them was, while they acknowledge that it needs to be widened there are other pressing projects that are needed. At least we got a new interchange at Rt 85. That used to be a daily accident zone with short merging lanes. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

How is 270 not three lanes to Frederick?

Yeah this has never made sense to me. There are topographic challenges that would probably make widening more expensive. But it's especially weird given how 70 is three lanes for much (all?) of the Frederick - Baltimore leg. And 270 carries more traffic! https://roads.maryland.gov/mdotsha/pages/Index.aspx?PageId=792

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

Yeah this has never made sense to me. There are topographic challenges that would probably make widening more expensive. But it's especially weird given how 70 is three lanes for much (all?) of the Frederick - Baltimore leg. And 270 carries more traffic! https://roads.maryland.gov/mdotsha/pages/Index.aspx?PageId=792

i am generally of the view that widening ends up creating more traffic (induced demand etc) - but I agree with you all this stretch makes no sense.  The lane reduction northbound just creates back-ups.  I don't think it should be a priority for MDOT (WE NEED MORE TRANSIT) but they could do something with this corridor to reduce congestion.  Rail?  Bus rapid transit?  Something.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pazzo83 said:

i am generally of the view that widening ends up creating more traffic (induced demand etc) - but I agree with you all this stretch makes no sense.  The lane reduction northbound just creates back-ups.  I don't think it should be a priority for MDOT (WE NEED MORE TRANSIT) but they could do something with this corridor to reduce congestion.  Rail?  Bus rapid transit?  Something.

Yeah, making MARC from Frederick to DC fast and frequent would go a long way to helping with the commuter backups. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 6:14 PM, Mrs.J said:

And the further up 270 you go the worse it gets. 15 N seriously needs attention. Daily N and S from the 70 split to just pass Motter is a parking lot. I actually find myself going through downtown or to the East to get up to 26. 

Uggggggh, Rt. 15. Visited the Leesburg/Luckets area last weekend on a breweries crawl and forgot how horrendously painful Rt. 15 is. A weekend day, but still...I hear the traffic reports on weekdays, and it's never pretty. Feel for folks up in that corner of NoVA.

• Like 1

Os are slumping a bit. Not worried at all about the offense at this juncture. Pitching is becoming more problematic, but they have plenty of young talent to go make a couple of deals at the deadline to shore it up.

• Like 2

Its 96 degrees but the DEWPOINT is 76. This means it feels like 110.

I was trimming branches with a ladder and a trimmer out here and I was wondering WHY was I so damn hot. I thought it was only 90 degrees and I was just draggin' for some reason.

Be GLAD you dont live in south Texas.

10 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Os are slumping a bit. Not worried at all about the offense at this juncture. Pitching is becoming more problematic, but they have plenty of young talent to go make a couple of deals at the deadline to shore it up.

Pitching is better than this, but the last 7-10 games are showing some big holes. Irvin looking like he’s continuing the suck trend tonight.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Uggggggh, Rt. 15. Visited the Leesburg/Luckets area last weekend on a breweries crawl and forgot how horrendously painful Rt. 15 is. A weekend day, but still...I heart the traffic reports on weekdays, and it's never pretty. Feel for folks up in that corner of NoVA.

You were up near Leesburg? Take Rt 7 to Rt 9 and make a pit stop at Charles Town Races and Slots and try the Craps tables. I used to hang out for HOURS just watchin those guys!

You can win some money.

But you got to know when to stop and just walk away with your colored up winnings.

The Day when I walked away with 2400, two big ORANGE chips and four black ones, best day I had had in a long time up there!

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Went down this morning to Easton to do a bike ride from there to Tighlman Island. Rode right by your school. In all the times I’ve been down that way, it’s the first time I’ve seen it. 

• Like 2

On 6/23/2024 at 11:24 AM, Maestrobjwa said:

Oh for real? But it wasn't an actual "blood moon" so to speak?

Yes...it was reddish due to the haze and whatever else in the air plus the moon being so low on the horizon (lots of refraction...notice how the moon looks rather oblong in that photo due to that).  The "blood moon", I believe, refers to what you'd see during a lunar eclipse...which is a totally different thing, the moon passing through the earth's shadow and it turns a spectacular orange-red when total, then moves out of the shadow.  Here's what the moon looks like during a lunar eclipse, from the one we had recently in Nov. 2022:

LunarEclipse_Nov2022_11.thumb.jpg.7a78fc031040d03be8339034be939da6.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/23/2024 at 10:04 AM, Mrs.J said:

So went out to check my deck plants and realized it is not too bad out this morning. So decided that to get some fresh air would have breakfast on the deck. A simple omelet with garlic scapes and fresh apricots and blueberries with honey. With a grapefruit Kombucha. We have been members for close to 15 years now of a local CSA. The fruit and garlic scapes are just some of what we got from our weekly takings.
If ever in Frederick Co take a trip down to Thanksgiving Farms on Rt 85 near Adamstown. While not certified organic they use organic practices. And their plant selection is amazing. The green house alone will draw in anyone who loves house plants. Hope all stay cool today and crossing fingers that we may get lucky with a storm or two. Not holding my breath on that one though. IMG_0877.thumb.jpeg.96f83d9dc52dfa26809b41fdf7e30755.jpeg

Damn that looks tasty!  I always like a good omelet!!

• Like 1

We need the rain, but hoping for a bust on this evening's storms so that NVSL relay carnival is unaffected.  The kids love this event and it would be unfortunate to have to sit out a long storm delay or to have to reschedule for tomorrow (which would cause huge availability issues for our team . . . and presumably others too).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RickinBaltimore said:

Spare pitcher, ma'am? 

Pitchers. Need 2 strong starters and 2 high leverage relievers. Probably 1 of each is the most to reasonably hope for.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, hstorm said:

We need the rain, but hoping for a bust on this evening's storms so that NVSL relay carnival is unaffected.  The kids love this event and it would be unfortunate to have to sit out a long storm delay or to have to reschedule for tomorrow (which would cause huge availability issues for our team . . . and presumably others too).

Worst NVSL memory EVER, from about 15 years ago...getting the kids to the host pool in Springfield area around 5:30 p.m. for relay carnival, when (of course!) it started thundering. There were severe storms in the area at the time, but it appeared on radar as if they were going to miss our area...but did not. We got 2-3 rounds of really bad storms, while stuck in insufferably hot/humid conditions sitting in our minivan with a handful of bored kids drawing on fogged-up windows. We were continually rain-delayed until well after 9 p.m., when everyone was cleared to hit the pool deck and start RC. Don't think we got home until 11:30 that night...UGH.

On 6/23/2024 at 11:43 PM, pazzo83 said:

we need more trains so people don't have to drive everywhere.  it would be better for everyone's blood pressure.

At least DC has the metro, the silver line being built out to Reston (and right next to our hs) has been awesome for me and my friends cause we’re able to take quick day trips into the city. Really wish we had more city to city light rail to expand our day trip range but at least we can go into dc!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Worst NVSL memory EVER, from about 15 years ago...getting the kids to the host pool in Springfield area around 5:30 p.m. for relay carnival, when (of course!) it started thundering. There were severe storms in the area at the time, but it appeared on radar as if they were going to miss our area...but did not. We got 2-3 rounds of really bad storms, while stuck in insufferably hot/humid conditions sitting in our minivan with a handful of bored kids drawing on fogged-up windows. We were continually rain-delayed until well after 9 p.m., when everyone was cleared to hit the pool deck and start RC. Don't think we got home until 11:30 that night...UGH.

Reminds me of my spring championship meet in Saint Petersburg Florida, it thundered out for finals one night and we were all stuck in a van with no ac. It was close to a sauna by the time we were allowed to leave…