Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June Banter 2024

George BM

7 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

How do some of you live here???

IMG_8125.png

Did you make it past short pump yet? 

Growing up I remember going to Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens multiple times a summer. Never remember terrible traffic. Of course that was 30 years ago. Now I attempt to never go south of DC. 

This is gonna sound HoCo snobbish, but we never deal with that type of traffic. Maybe 1-2 hours of slowdowns during peak rush hour on 29/95/100, but theres plenty of ways around it. Nova is like one big ball of traffic that lasts hours and hours. 

• Haha 2

On 6/14/2024 at 3:07 PM, WxUSAF said:

How do some of you live here???

IMG_8125.png

On 6/14/2024 at 10:49 PM, mdhokie said:

Did you make it past short pump yet? 

Growing up I remember going to Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens multiple times a summer. Never remember terrible traffic. Of course that was 30 years ago. Now I attempt to never go south of DC. 

This is gonna sound HoCo snobbish, but we never deal with that type of traffic. Maybe 1-2 hours of slowdowns during peak rush hour on 29/95/100, but theres plenty of ways around it. Nova is like one big ball of traffic that lasts hours and hours. 

As @mdhokie said...it wasn't always this bad. My family and I used to be able to make it to OBX in just over four hours 15-20 years ago...that's completely out of the question now. My wife and I love some of the restaurants in the Stonebridge at Potomac Town Center complex next to I-95 (a mere 12 or so miles south of us) across from Potomac Mills...but given that we typically only have time to do that on a weekend, we're no longer willing to put up with a 45-60 minute trip to travel just 12 or so miles south.

It's gotten so bad, that I hate to plan any travel SOUTH to our favorite beach locations in NC/SC...and when we do attempt to do so, we leave NoVA before daybreak, and try to time our arrival back in this hellhole for late in the evening. Driving pretty much anywhere in NoVA anymore is an exercise in self-flagellation. I avoid it at all costs. And it's hi-test motivation to my soul and spirit to GTHO of this area within the next 1-2 years.

I loved the DMV when I moved here just over 30 years ago. Hell, my profile name here and on numerous internet sites conveys my love for the Old Dominion...one of the few states where, from most places in the state, you are only 3-5 hours drive away from mountains, beaches and everything in between. But I/we can't wait to get out...at least FAR west or south, of Arlington/Fairfax/Prince William/Stafford Counties.

• Sad 4

6 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

As @mdhokie said...it wasn't always this bad. My family and I used to be able to make it to OBX in just over four hours 15-20 years ago...that's completely out of the question now. My wife and I love some of the restaurants in the Stonebridge at Potomac Town Center complex next to I-95 (a mere 12 or so miles south of us) across from Potomac Mills...but given that we typically only have time to do that on a weekend, we're no longer willing to put up with a 45-60 minute trip to travel just 12 or so miles south.

It's gotten so bad, that I hate to plan any travel SOUTH to our favorite beach locations in NC/SC...and when we do attempt to do so, we leave NoVA before daybreak, and try to time our arrival back in this hellhole for late in the evening. Driving pretty much anywhere in NoVA anymore is an exercise in self-flagellation. I avoid it at all costs. And it's hi-test motivation to my soul and spirit to GTHO of this area within the next 1-2 years.

I loved the DMV when I moved here just over 30 years ago. But I can't wait to get out now.

I feel ya. Used to survive in the Dale City Region 6 years ago. Come to south central TX, but beware there is a TON of construction down here. Sometimes I wish I lived in the central Rockies, or in the Yukon Territories, or even in the Australian Outback. Anyplace with a few people, nearest city is 100 miles away, and no one there has ever seen a construction machine in 50 years.

I am sick to DEATH of construction and development. Its turning everything it touches into a total hellhole that would have the devil himself drooling with covetousness.

I know I am being self centered here but sometimes I wish I could have an entire PLANET, an earthlike planet, to myself and maybe about 20 other people and construction was outlawed for the next 2500 years.

Give south central Texas 5-10 years. Welcome to Coruscant, because that is what we will be. Every tree will be gone. Concrete for hundreds of miles in every direction. Brobdingnagian taxes and traffic jams. General weather patterns about 30 degrees hotter and 60 percent drier.

• Sad 2

44 minutes ago, yoda said:

2 pitchers already done due to TJ this season, top reliever TJ last fall, this years top reliever out with elbow inflammation, top prospect just hit the IL with elbow inflammation, and now this. 

18 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

I loved the DMV when I moved here just over 30 years ago. But I can't wait to get out now.

I feel this, I turn 32 in 2 days. Loved the area while I was growing up in Annandale/Falls Church and it's been tough watching it change so much the last ~10 years. Even still, after being away from it for almost 4 years now I miss it. It's hard to appreciate how much the area has going for it before you've moved somewhere else.

Charlottesville has it's small town charm, great access to the outdoors, etc but there is a lot left to be desired. I might be back in NoVA next year...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

600 dam lol

Baltimore and Philly will be pushing 100 by the end of the week.

gfs_z500a_us_20.png

My son and I will be attending the Orioles-Yankees Thursday afternoon game in the Bronx.  We are going to cook.  Hope the beer’s cold.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

2 pitchers already done due to TJ this season, top reliever TJ last fall, this years top reliever out with elbow inflammation, top prospect just hit the IL with elbow inflammation, and now this. 

This is a major problem across the league. The use of data analytics, with measurement of and emphasis on velocity and spin rate etc. seems partly to blame. Rather than going by 'feel' and natural grip/motion/release to develop a repertoire, this generation of pitchers attempts to 'synthesize' it based on specific desired outcomes.

There is some disturbed weather in the southern GoMex today, signs it may get its tropical act together and hit up the Gulf States including Texas with considerable rain, then head eastbound and the DC Region would be next. Need to keep a weather eye on the Gulf.

Nice taking the series from the Phillies (and before that, Braves) before heading to NYC to slay the beast.

Yeah, yeah, Judge and Soto but no one else in the Yanks lineup OPSs over .800. Meanwhile five Orioles (if you count O'Hearn) are, and Montcastle is close at .784. And the O's are 8-2 over the last 10 games, while the Yankees are 5-5. And the Yankees' catcher can't throw at all; Red Sox stole a bunch of bases against him yesterday. So turn Henderson, Jordan, Mateo, and Ced (if he can get on base) loose. 

Losing Bradish and Coulombe hurts, but that's why there's you can trade up until July 31. I'd think about moving Kjerstad, who's crushing it at Norfolk but has nowhere to play in the big time as of now. K can't play center if Mullins can't get untracked offensively (and frankly, with the rest of this offense, I think the O's can afford to carry him for his glove).

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 3:34 PM, hstorm said:

First B meet for us too . . . fortunately at home.  Weather on Saturday was spectacular for time trials.  Hoping for a repeat this evening!

Was a little chilly later in the evening last Monday, but overall it was a great night. Saturday was glorious!

Tonight will be a tad toastier, but this Saturday will be rough. Heard that NVSL is considering suggesting early starts to this weekend's meets should both teams be amenable to it.

No surprise. Gulf storm rain shield will be well south of Austin. I will get about one one thousand twenty fourth of an inch of rain from 91L. This is about fifteen sigmas above normal for moisture from a tropical system in the Austin region in June. Gradient will be heartbreakingly sharp. I should have known not to get my hopes up for rain. I know where I live now, June is the beginning of the arid season. Austin is often California dry in Nina years, but on the other hand, we laugh at hurricanes hitting us. But I still watch and pray for the Texas coast. They DO get hit, and bad. Corpus may get 18 inches. They may get South Florida'd.

NWS is picking up on the model runs - and has trimmed rain amounts lol. No surprise there. Imma thinkin about a road trip to the coast, just to get my rain fix and maybe a little overwash fix too lol.

Rain forecasts continue trending sharply downward. There is a devastating cutoff line positioned south of Buda. It will not give an inch, or one billionth of a nanometer, either. I am S out of luck here. Potential Tropical weather system or not, Austin will likely be partly cloudy tomorrow with highs in the 90s amid 80 degree dewpoints whilst  areas south of I 10 get smashed by super efficient rain showers boasting rates to 3 inches per hour. Corpus is in line for at least 12 inches, maybe 16.

This is quite normal for us. If you love dry weather, I can't think of a better place than Buda Texas. Nina Summer is kicking off, starting with a PTC One rain shutout. We can pray all we want. It's going to be bone dry probably well into 2025, with soil cracks big enough to fall into and break your frackin' leg, and the prospect of a triple year Nina means extremely grim water prospects lie just ahead into the next few years. With all the people moving into my part of the world, accompanied by Brobdingnagian amounts of apartment construction, I will wager you we will all soon be trying to drink from the Colorado River, with predictably horrific outcomes culminating in the late 2020s Diaspora.

Enso cold or hot, it does NOT matter. Neutral enso does us absolutely no good. Dry is who we ARE!

We will always be BONE DRY. Welcome to Texifornia.

This is our fate. Drier, and super hot, until we flee this part of the world.

Bank on this. The Diaspora is Coming.

I am JEALOUS OF HOUSTON. They are getting hit by super efficient rain showers right now. They always get ALL of the doggone rain! I wish I lived in Cherrapunji, India, in a year in which they had a monsoon 2500 percent of normal. I want rain so bad! I want water everywhere!

EDIT: one half inch is expected now in Austin. No surprise. This thing is FIZZLING OUT. New forecast, Buda on Weds, high 97 with 80 dews. Partly cloudy with a 10 percent chance of a light passing shower. Not even wetting rains. PTC One has completely fizzled out. Nada. What else is new under the blistering sun.

On 6/17/2024 at 3:00 PM, mattie g said:

Was a little chilly later in the evening last Monday, but overall it was a great night. Saturday was glorious!

Tonight will be a tad toastier, but this Saturday will be rough. Heard that NVSL is considering suggesting early starts to this weekend's meets should both teams be amenable to it.

Our team confirmed an 8:30 start for our meet om Saturday.  Not ideal given that we are away and have a 35-minute drive to the other pool.  But also understand why NVSL wants to try to beat the worst of the heat.

I find that...the more you try and "prove yourself" online...the worse it gets. I've experienced it on here, and now somewhere less forgiving. People keep saying I'm one way and I try to argue and prove I'm not...but it just doesn't work. I'm too defensive, and I let stuff get to me when I shouldn't. Gotta free myself of other people's opinions even mattering--because opinions are fickle and difficult to change...and most of the time you have no control over them whatsoever.

I must say I have been pleasantly surprised by some steady moderate rain today, although I am brimming with jealousy over deep south Texas getting a foot of torrential rain. I wanted that so bad!!!!!!!!! Those warm clouds extend up to 14500 feet, and I wanted those efficient warm cloud processes SO BAD in my backyard! I never wanted torrential biblical rain so bad in my life! I craved George BM intensity ultra efficient tropical showers!

I heard something disturbing today. Someone called lgbt rights “political”

Bigotry, misogyny, xenophobia, homophobia, nationalism and persecution in general isn’t political.  Some things are still just right and wrong no matter how many people are wrong nor how loudly the wrong people try to scream in order to normalize their wrong behavior.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1