• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June 2024 General Discussion

2 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Record watch starting again for June. Looks like some locations may see their warmest June on record.

At Toledo, the mean maximum for the month stood at 84.1F through yesterday, which would be tenth warmest. With today's 95F factored in, the mean has climbed to 84.6F, placing it in a tie for ninth place. Based on the NWS forecast maximum temperatures, the monthly mean may climb to around 86.2F by the 27th. The current record is 85.9F, set in 1934 & 2005.

image.png.3b95e67d24b420b9b102d1f0896aa918.png

For the record, this analysis is based on the mean maximum temperature. I have been told in the past that it is the low temperatures making the summers warmer and that people judge summer months based on maximum temperatures. With the drought causing unusually large diurnal ranges, I thought maximum temperatures would probably be more appropriate for 2024.

While the thread creator suggesting sticking a fork in the month of June, Dayton International Airport observed its 4th consecutive 90+ reading today [coming off an 89F on Sunday]. The forecast calls for 90+ through Sunday, which, if it were to occur, would be the most 90F readings through June 23rd in any year since 1994.

In addition, Dayton continues to impress from a temperature standpoint in 2024. The mean temperature through yesterday stood at 51.6F (and rapidly climbing each day of this heat wave). This is more than 0.5F warmer the second warmest year (2012). Of course, it's worth pointing out that the official observation site was still in the city, which can be as much as 300 feet lower in elevation than the airport, and with a significant urban heat island effect exacerbated by poor siting of the instrument on a building rooftop. Thus, it's likely that 2012 is actually the second warmest, but I digress.

image.png.7e10da2843195c9cf28601291b0a70f5.png

Between 1872 & 1996, 15 years at Knoxville saw mean temperatures [through 6-19] equal to or colder than Dayton in the year of our lord 2024. An additional 8 years in that interval were within 0.5F of the Dayton value.

Whereas previously Dayton was performing better against Oklahoma City, the very hot summer climate of Oklahoma City is starting to leave Dayton in the dust. However, there were 6 years between 1899 & 1979 that were less than or equal to 51.6F [including one year (1979) that was a whopping 2F colder]. A total of 16 years in that same time interval are no more than 0.5F warmer than 2024 in Dayton.

Based on this data, we can conclude that Dayton in 2024 is warmer than 1 out of every 8 years observed in Knoxville during the 19th and 20th century.  We can similarly conclude that Dayton is warmer than about 1 in every 13 years in OKC during the first 4/5ths of the 20th century. Although this doesn't tell the full story, since Dayton is relatively warmer in the wintertime and OKC racks up massive numbers in the summertime. As such, it's very unfair to just look straight up since Dayton has a much milder climate overall than OKC.

10 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

As forecast it’s a gloomy morning in Bayfield WI. Doesn’t take much away from the beauty of this area though. Lake Superior and Madeline Island are peaking through the trees from the back windows of our rental cabin. High of 58 today and tomorrow.

35A9C346-5F65-4D70-A960-DF9CE19354D9.jpeg

Looks and sounds awesome 

• Haha 1

IWXwx and cyclone77 might enjoy this. The winter wheat is ripe and coming out of the fields here now. Got these images after they took off the end rows and were on the other side of the field making a dust storm. Left me a moment to get an image before it all disappeared.

8G3A7891.thumb.JPG.4d1c563a3c516bcd94c5358494f4b60e.JPG

8G3A7893.thumb.JPG.efc2c9affb1bf6c99ff359fab6397604.JPG

• Like 7

9 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

I could smell the rain from a tiny cell that passed a few miles south a little while ago.  Top 3 event the past 3 weeks.

Nothing beats the smell of petrichor, except actually getting the rain of course.

• Like 1

As the heatwave winds down (it was a great one here), my temps have been comfy with even some hints of a cool breeze the other early evening, however the cloudiness is getting too pervasive again. Its fairly dark this morning, brightening up some in the last hour. Stormy day forecast with increasing rain chances by evening. I expect nothing storm-wise but underhyped = watch out! :P

Looks like a cloudy day on tap with highs in the low-mid 60's, and a lake wind. Scattered shwrs/stms will be about during the day. Starting tomorrow, back to more summery wx with temps in the 70's, and 80's showing up briefly around Tues. 

Storm summary from June 18 has some pics of the flooding across NE MN.

https://www.weather.gov/dlh/june2024flood

My county was put under a tornado warning Sat evening, some cell off Huron had rotation but was elevated so this large country was blanketed once again even though I'm 25 miles at least from the storm moving ENE...

So how did the heatwave end storm wise here? With no thunder and just steady on and off rains! Fail #4!