• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June 2024 General Discussion

0.72" from shwrs/stms yesterday into the overnight bringing monthly total up to 1.85". Looks to be a bit warmer today, at least in town, on a SW wind with temps hitting the lower 70's. More shwrs/stms on tap later this aftrn. Lilacs in bloom now, and my local greenhouse delivered my annuals yesterday, so those will need to get into the ground. Ash trees here on my block are finally very near full leaf. They're always the last. 

Had to water the garden every day since we put it in May 22nd.  Rain has been hard to come by 

where are you again? (can’t see on mobile). was thinking glen ellyn or somewhere in that vicinity? if so, wild the regional feast/famine, seems like we get .25” rain at least every other day since March here in NC IL.

26 minutes ago, luckyweather said:

where are you again? (can’t see on mobile). was thinking glen ellyn or somewhere in that vicinity? if so, wild the regional feast/famine, seems like we get .25” rain at least every other day since March here in NC IL.

Kankakee county in IL on the IN border. We had good spring rains and my parents on the other side of town had a huge downpour last week

It’s just been unlucky hyper-locally lately. Went fishing the last two days and keep getting snagged along the shore. The river has receded some. We did get some showers this AM which was nice. Will still have to water but I’ll take it  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Did have a few sunny breaks during the afternoon, among the best wx days of 2024 here! Great humid breeze. At first the hourlies showed a chance of storms from 1-5 pm, then the def squall line later but kept scaling back til nothing except the line at 7pm. Then I was in the split of the line. Instead of 25-35 mm I got 2.5! :lmao: Heard no thunder, some pre-front showers and the rain would turn on and off like the storm couldn't make up its mind...knew the line was fragmented just on that observation alone. That's heatwave 1 wasted, I swear every year these squall lines get lamer. At 10pm I could even see the edge of the cloud canopy despite rain being forecast  :lmao:

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, IWXwx said:

The real bust is here. A couple of days ago, NWS had my area of Northern Indiana with a 60% chance of rain yesterday and an 80% chance last night. Then yesterday morning they dropped the chance for daytime rain 30% after 2 PM, but continued the 80% chance last night and 90% chance all day today. Waking up to clear skies, no overnight rain, and still an 80% chance, but only after 2 PM.

I think I'll go ahead and water my garden this morning.

Ha! I kept the faith that eventually that rain would get here. And the choo-choo train sideswiped the house. 0.91" in the tippy bucket. Must have rained hard and fast as all the old maple seeds got blown out of the gutters.

I only received 0.11" of rain from the early week system, so pretty much a bust.

Today the wind is gusting over 45 mph.  I had to move a bunch of my newly-planted flower pots into the garage to prevent them from being ripped apart.

27 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I only received 0.11" of rain from the early week system, so pretty much a bust.

Today the wind is gusting over 45 mph.  I had to move a bunch of my newly-planted flower pots into the garage to prevent them from being ripped apart.

Yeah DVN finally woke up and issued a wind advisory.  They stopped it west of here though even though we are also getting 45 mph gusts.  Lots of blowing dust out in the open country, which surprised me given the recent rains.

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah DVN finally woke up and issued a wind advisory.  They stopped it west of here though even though we are also getting 45 mph gusts.  Lots of blowing dust out in the open country, which surprised me given the recent rains.

Really shows you how the pattern in place during the Dust Bowl was able to bring such devastating dust storms

Sometimes I catch myself hating on Illinois, but days like today remind me this state has its own natural beauty. Visited another preserve today, nice to put the phone away and not answer work emails. 

IMG_2213-compressed.jpeg

• Like 17

13 hours ago, Chambana said:

Sometimes I catch myself hating on Illinois, but days like today remind me this state has its own natural beauty. Visited another preserve today, nice to put the phone away and not answer work emails. 

IMG_2213-compressed.jpeg

we're beyond blessed but state is ruined by industrial farming and mono-culture

hard to even imagine what the natural prairie must have looked like

• Like 2

3 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

we're beyond blessed but state is ruined by industrial farming and mono-culture

hard to even imagine what the natural prairie must have looked like

A shit ton of buffalo chips keeping the prairie grasses nice, and robust. Herds of millions roaming the NA grasslands. What a sight that would have been.

After a cool, cloudy day yesterday with gusty NW winds, and some scattered shwrs, should be a nice day around 70 on a dry W/NW wind. A chance of rain around sunrise tomorrow am, then scattered stuff in the aftrn possible.

Tonight is the 40th anniversary of the Barneveld, WI F5 :twister: of 1984. Still by far the most significant tornado since 1950 for the south-central part of the state. Although we get our share of severe weather in southern Wisconsin, we average a Plains/Dixie Alley caliber cyclic, intense-violent tornadic supercell about once every 10-15 years. To have one occur in the middle of the night was even more extraordinary. With every regional severe weather event in my memory; storms that form as supercells in Iowa have invariably either grown upscale or weakened by the time they reach here late at night.

https://www.wmtv15news.com/2024/06/07/barnaveld-torando-40-years-later/

• Like 1

On 6/6/2024 at 12:19 PM, TheClimateChanger said:

Dewpoint of 40F at Midway, which is just 4F above the lowest noon local time dewpoint of record on the 6th of June, dating back to 1948.

image.png.2bc445a3318f6747bb82e3238aad6924.png

The monthly record low dewpoint in that time period is 17F, from June 10, 1972:

image.png.b2d54d94db0d898881374126f9135d35.png

Where do you find historical dew point data?

Widespread 30's and 40's for lows last night.  Cool spot was Spincich Lake at 35.  Northern lights were also visible in the northern sky after midnight and before clouds arrived.   Cool today in the mid 60's and even cooler tomorrow with a high around 54 forecast.  As much as I do enjoy the cooler temps, I am ready for some summer like weather.

Backyard is lush

562765761_thumbnail(8).thumb.jpg.fe58861bc61d13bcbbd5409267cf20ad.jpg

• Like 13

Prelim data in for May. Another warm month in the books, obviously. Spring plenty warm, as well. 5 & 10 yr trend charts shown respectively for May, and Spring. Been a few years since we've had a season that hovered around 2dK anom or better mark for our sub as a whole. 

Midwest May anom 5yr.gif

Midwest May anom 10yr.gif

Midwest Spring anom 5yr.gif

Midwest Spring anom 10yr.gif

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

Widespread 30's and 40's for lows last night.  Cool spot was Spincich Lake at 35.  Northern lights were also visible in the northern sky after midnight and before clouds arrived.   Cool today in the mid 60's and even cooler tomorrow with a high around 54 forecast.  As much as I do enjoy the cooler temps, I am ready for some summer like weather.

Backyard is lush

562765761_thumbnail(8).thumb.jpg.fe58861bc61d13bcbbd5409267cf20ad.jpg

Nice ferns 

• Like 2

Edit: 49 47 46 with light sprinkles  :lol:
Cloudy and 50 degrees at 1:30 with a strong northerly flow... sweatshirt weather.  Still in the upper 40's just west of here in the higher terrain. Should clear this evening with upper 30's a good bet.

Return to sun and low-60's for Monday then 70 by Tuesday with a string of them to follow.

647564652_sfct-imp.us_mw(1).thumb.png.d19a968dd55b7e341a405ed1ad21a125.png

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Edit: 49 47 46 with light sprinkles  :lol:
Cloudy and 50 degrees at 1:30 with a strong northerly flow... sweatshirt weather.  Still in the upper 40's just west of here in the higher terrain. Should clear this evening with upper 30's a good bet.

Return to sun and low-60's for Monday then 70 by Tuesday with a string of them to follow.

647564652_sfct-imp.us_mw(1).thumb.png.d19a968dd55b7e341a405ed1ad21a125.png

Fallish our way, while early summer firmly in the grasp for our southern neighbors. You are definitely on the chilly side, even more so than me.

• Like 1