• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June 2024 General Discussion

0.75" of rain last night into the early am hrs. 1.11" for a good start to the month. Avg is 4.23", so a way to go yet, and forecast looks decent for more significant opportunities. For May, ended with 3.88" (3.30" avg) with 2.12" falling on the 22nd.  YTD through May is 10.61 (9.66" avg) so doing well there. Last year, starting in May, precip was pretty bleak until later in Sept. Doing better so far this year.

2 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

First truly sweaty summers day in Minneapolis. 81/64 currently. We’ve had a few days with a hotter air temp but the dews were upper 40s/50s at that time. Short lived, storms and a cold front tomorrow.

Similar here. 79-80/62-63. Muggy day. Clouds cleared around midday, and temps started heading N pretty quick. Plenty of juice for more stms.

• Haha 1

Went to go for a quick night time bike ride to the store and enjoy the cicadathon ambiance around etc.

Then quickly started coming across huge Cicada spots under the street lights ahead everywhere.

I was like what the.

Put the bike back. And walked instead. They’re everywhere. Seen a bunch new ones still climbing everywhere unhatched/hatching etc. 

Definitely been pitching past days.

Neighborhood is a few hairs away getting swamped with them everywhere. With a possible call for a state of emergency. Like a cicada blizzard. Residents trapped and having to call in work with a margarita in hand and while the brooding that has unearthed upon us is buzzing and mating away

ok I’m done

IMG_5408.jpeg

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, madwx said:

Extremely heavy rain with the line that just moved through.  0.78” so far today.  

80 degree dews coming to a neighborhood near you this summer 

We ended up getting trained by storms from about 7 to 10:30 last night up here. The closest wunderground station with reliable precipitation data has 2.14" of rain for yesterday. We are now at around 9" of rain since May 21st. The killer is is that even the smaller rain events have overperformed.

Fog, low clouds with temps in the mid 60's this morning should give way to a very warm and humid day... 82 is forecast with dews as high as mid 60's.  Cool weather in the 60's looks to follow for the next week.  Interestingly, the bugs have not been that bad.  I think the heavy frost put a hurting to the noseeums and the dry weather has kept the skeeters in check.  Have noticed some blk flies on the increase but nothing too annoying yet.

Powerball chuckling at the warmer wx up here reminds me of a story published in our local paper about 25 yrs or so ago. The writer, Monica, had friends come up from TX, and stayed with her for about a week or so during the summer. Around mid July-early Aug, I believe We just so happened to have a heat wave come on with temps in the upper 80's-low 90's, with higher dews, which is unusually warm for here. A/C is not commonly used here in homes. Businesses, and vehicles have it, tho. Monica didn't have A/C, so the house stayed pretty darn warm, and she was using fans to stay cool as best as possible. She couldn't understand why they were complaining so much about the heat. Being from TX, they should be used to that by now, especially since it was a bit hotter there during the summer on a regular basis. When she asked, they said they lived in A/C cooled homes, and all businesses, and cars had A/C. So basically, they were not used to the heat because they never were in the heat that much. We tend to weather brief heat waves without A/C around here. Although, I did eventually buy a window unit for the hotter days. 

But I did understand how the TX folks felt. Back in my Army days in NJ, we would be pretty warm during the summer, and being fairly close to the ocean (about 5 miles inland), humidity stayed up. A/C was necessary to cool off. And I did my basic training in Ft. Sill, OK during the summer. That's in SW OK. Got pretty darn hot there, and being from up here, I was most definitely not used to that. The barracks did have A/C, but we were outside most of the day, except for indoor classes. Drank lots of water, and salt tabs when needed. So, believe it or not, I started getting used to heat. Having A/C cool downs at night were helpful, but my body could handle the daytime heat better once I became more acclimated. In early June 1989, I came home on leave for my sister's HS grad, and I was chilled because it was already very warm in NJ, and I was used to that already. It was 70's/50's here with lower humidity, with 80's/60's there with higher humidity. 

The N areas of our sub really are different, especially nearer the Lake.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, weatherbo said:

...  Have noticed some blk flies on the increase but nothing too annoying yet.

I was greatly annoyed turning the soil in the flowerbed this morning from all the biting black flies here Bleh!

At noon already 81 with a dewpoint of 66 at KIND.  Feeling steamy outside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian D said:

Powerball chuckling at the warmer wx up here

We can return the favor when TX has a week of 30s in January. 

84/64 here. Steamy, but with a strong breeze gusting to 30mph it’s keeping things much more comfortable today. Storms should start firing in the next couple hours. 

• Like 2

Foggy am turned sunny midday. Temps running in the low 70's away from the Lake, but much cooler on the shoreline in the mid 50's with a lake wind E/NE at 15 mph. Upper 60's here at the house. Expecting a good chance of shwrs/stms later this evening into the night.

Just a note: Geese moving heavy N the last few days. Guess they finally think it's good enough to head to CA. :) 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Radar looking good to my west. Always love a mature QLCS. They’ve been rare the past 3 summers here. 

Scattered stms moving in from the S ahead of the front. Fogbank on the lake with the warmer, humid air interacting with the cooler waters. Stronger downdrafts from stms love to push that fog inland on gusty winds this time of year, or it will get pulled in from the strong updrafts of approaching stms from the W. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Tonight's withering band of Iowa sloppy seconds looks like that will be it for the foreseeable future for meaningful rainfall.  After a fairly wet Mar-May we were due for a long dry stretch however.

Picked up 0.04" of anvil rain earlier.

Bust 

The real bust is here. A couple of days ago, NWS had my area of Northern Indiana with a 60% chance of rain yesterday and an 80% chance last night. Then yesterday morning they dropped the chance for daytime rain 30% after 2 PM, but continued the 80% chance last night and 90% chance all day today. Waking up to clear skies, no overnight rain, and still an 80% chance, but only after 2 PM.

I think I'll go ahead and water my garden this morning.

19 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

The real bust is here. A couple of days ago, NWS had my area of Northern Indiana with a 60% chance of rain yesterday and an 80% chance last night. Then yesterday morning they dropped the chance for daytime rain 30% after 2 PM, but continued the 80% chance last night and 90% chance all day today. Waking up to clear skies, no overnight rain, and still an 80% chance, but only after 2 PM.

I think I'll go ahead and water my garden this morning.

Had to water the garden every day since we put it in May 22nd.  Rain has been hard to come by 

Rain showers moving through this morning, maybe even a thundershower later.  Temps should stay in the low 60's with the rain today and probably not get above that through Monday with highs generally in the upper 50's and low 60's and nighttime lows in the 40's.  Garden will not like this weather but for me it's refreshing.  Along with the cool temps, daily rain chances as well which is def nice after the extended dry period. 

46 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Rain showers moving through this morning, maybe even a thundershower later.  Temps should stay in the low 60's with the rain today and probably not get above that through Monday with highs generally in the upper 50's and low 60's and nighttime lows in the 40's.  Garden will not like this weather but for me it's refreshing.  Along with the cool temps, daily rain chances as well which is def nice after the extended dry period. 

Sounds like a recipe for mosquitoes.

Warmest morning so far of the year 19C low which accounts for .7% of all my low overnight temps.  Dark with some dense filtered sun at times earlier. There has been way too much cloudiness during this humid stretch. Three turtles on the trail this morning!

• Like 1