• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June 2024

50 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

Next seven days - most of this from the front / storms Wed Pm -(overrnight)/ THu AM.

p168i.gif?1719248189

It appears that we could have a nice squall line with that front. It would be nice to get widepread strong storms instead of just widely scattered. 

3 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

what a rare day. Cooler and drier as the day goes on under clear skies in the summer. Very rarely gets to turn off the air condition as the day goes on in the summer.

It was quite warm still this morning

Once the winds picked up this morning, it scoured out that leftover humid air.  Really dried out since, great summer day!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, lee59 said:

A relative of mine in northern Westchester said trees and wires down in some areas as bad storms moved thru yesterday.

Yes - I came into the city on Metro North this morning and trains were backed up because of trees and branches down all over.  In fact, a train was stopped just outside of my station with a large limb under the front axles and a bunch of limbs and leaves all over the front of the first car.  Obviously it hit a downed tree and they stopped to clear everything.  This was like at 8 am so the tree must have just fallen since that was not the first train on the route this morning.  

Today provided a respite from the recent heat and humidity that had gripped the region. Despite plenty of sunshine, temperatures remained in the upper 70s and lower 80s in many parts of the region. A stiff breeze provided refreshment.

Tomorrow and Wednesday will be very warm days. Much of the region will see the temperature top out at 90° or above. Somewhat cooler air will arrive afterward and remain in place through the weekend.

Following New York City's 4th warmest spring and Philadelphia's 6th warmest spring, it is very likely that June 2024 will rank among the 10 warmest Junes on record in both cities. Records go back to 1869 in New York City and 1874 in Philadelphia.

The latest summer guidance continues to suggest a warmer to much warmer than normal summer lies ahead.  

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.9°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was 0.3°C for the week centered around June 19. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.88°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.15°C. Neutral ENSO conditions will likely evolve into a La Niña event during the late summer or early fall.

The SOI was -14.97 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +1.398 today.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied near 100% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal June (1991-2020 normal). June will likely finish with a mean temperature near 75.6° (3.6° above normal). That would make June 2024 the second warmest June on record.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, lee59 said:

A relative of mine in northern Westchester said trees and wires down in some areas as bad storms moved thru yesterday.

12 minutes ago, wishcast_hater said:

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/6nKDDsuiuQeu87aK/?mibextid=WaXdOe

I’m in Dutchess and parts of the area got hammered. Trees down everywhere. I live only a few miles east and missed it.

Yup stuff down here too. Western CT got rocked again for the second day in a row. Saturday there was a microburst that did all sorts of damage then yesterday they got straightline winds and torrential rain. 

3 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

Winds easily gusting past 40

Yeah, a lot of damage to my garden. These are the kinds of winds I only see after a tropical storm has passed through. It has that kind of feel. Was not expecting this and it's early in the season so a number of plants weren't strong enough to tolerate it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, forkyfork said:

a tree in my neighborhood with rot in the middle split in half. lots of gusts over 40

Legit tree damage around town this afternoon. Didn’t think it would get this windy. 

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

Yeah, a lot of damage to my garden. These are the kinds of winds I only see after a tropical storm has passed through. It has that kind of feel. Was not expecting this and it's early in the season so a number of plants weren't strong enough to tolerate it.

Agreed. Definitely not forecasted well 

Just now, Allsnow said:

Legit tree damage around town this afternoon. Didn’t think it would get this windy. 

Quite a few limbs down here. The strength of the winds was a surprise today. I went running in the wind this afternoon and it felt very refreshing, but almost knocked me backwards a few times. lol

• Like 1

What a difference a day makes. Felt cool compared to yesterday with the winds and much lower temps/dews. 

Right now Wednesday is the only disgusting day but it could also yield severe weather. Hopefully it'll make up for yesterday's bust. 

19 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Nws said they were caught off guard but that an advisory wasn't warranted 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Feels like mid September....brrr