• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June 2024

35 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I grew up in Long Beach and got used to the much stronger winds between 4-7 pm on summer days like this. The trick was eating your lunch by 1pm so there wasn’t as much blowing sand. Bike riding along boardwalk and near the beach was a challenge was so much blowing sand at times. The ocean conditions would get pretty chaotic with numerous lifeguard rescues. People parking near the beach quickly figured out that it wasn’t a good idea to keep the convertible top down.;)

Really wow I dont remember any wind like this outside of April-May.  Is the ocean cooler than normal?  By June you'd expect this kind of wind to die down.

9 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Really wow I dont remember any wind like this outside of April-May.  Is the ocean cooler than normal?  By June you'd expect this kind of wind to die down.

This was pretty typical living in Long Beach. Today seems like a a combination of factors enhancing the winds on Long Island. There is the localized Ambrose Jet component within a larger NY bight wind response due to the deepening low to the west. So we get the overlap expanding the stronger winds further east across Long Island. 

Farmingdale    PTSUNNY   82  70  66 S21G38  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a high temp of 96 here today, but it's been 91 the last couple hours due to all the clouds. Today could have been the worst day of the heat wave, but the clouds prevented that from happening. Didn't feel too bad out there for exercise during the late afternoon at 91 degrees with lots of clouds and breezy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MANDA said:

Hi @SACRUS

Liberty was referencing 1993 and I was referencing the killer heat wave of 1995.  Sorry, my error.   Has this area seen Heat Index readings similar or equal to 1995?  That was the worst heat I can ever remember.  Large loss of life in Chicago.  I believe HI readings around here topped out in the 115 degree range but I'm not sure.  It was stiffing heat though.  HI readings in the Mid-West topped out near 125 degrees.

Alot of the heat precautions that exist now came in the aftermath of that Chicago heatwave. Almost 500 direct deaths and actual death toll estimated to be closer to 800. I don't remember cooling centers etc being a thing until after 1995.

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 99 (2024)
NYC: 96 (1888)
LGA: 95 (1965)
JFK: 94 (2010)

Lows:

EWR: 51 (1992)
NYC: 40 (1918)
LGA: 53 (1940)
JFK:  52 (1992)

Historical:

1902 - The temperature at Volcano Springs, CA, soared to 129 degrees to set a June record for the U.S. (Sandra and TI Richard Sanders)

1944 - Four tornadoes killed 153 persons and caused five million dollars damage in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Maryland. The tornadoes formed during the evening and moved southeast along parallel paths flattening everything in their way. The town of Shinnston WV was leveled, and was left with the majority of the causalities. Until that time it was believed that damaging tornadoes did not travel across mountainous terrain. (David Ludlum)

1944: The deadliest and strongest tornado in the state of West Virginia occurred on this day. The Shinnston Tornado that ravaged a path of destruction from Shinnston to Cheat Mountain, then on to Maryland and ending in Pennsylvania in the Allegheny Mountains, is the only twister to produce F4 damage in West Virginia. This tornado killed 103 people. Click HERE for more information from the History Channel.

1957 - A few miles west of Fort Stockton TX, softball size hail injured 21 persons unable to find shelter, mostly farm laborers. Some livestock were killed. (The Weather Channel)

1987 - A massive hailstorm hit eastern Colorado causing an estimated 60 to 70 million dollars damage. At La Junta, CO, hail as large as softballs caused 37 million dollars damage. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Thirty-four cities reported record high temperatures for the date. The reading of 90 degrees at Bluefield, WV, equalled their record for the month of June. The record high of 104 degrees at Billings, MT, was their thirteenth of the month. (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Six cities in the High Plains Region reported record low temperatures for the date, including Sheridan, WY, with a reading of 38 degrees. Showers and thunderstorms in the eastern U.S. deluged New Castle County, DE, with 2.5 inches of rain in one hour. (The National Weather Summary)

39 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Huge fail today 

Yep but there were definitely model runs that showed most of the storms missing to the south today.

Anyway as Stormlover said, at least we got hit yesterday. I don't care too much about being missed today because I got over an inch of rain yesterday. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

South jersey getting rocked of course and ct for like the 5th day in a row 

Shit south jersey is on their third storm cluster of the day lol

Maybe we can get a nice drink late tonight with the CF and storms in Central PA