• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June 2024

20 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

Much of yesterday’s convection had to do with the motion and location of outflow boundaries that were literally all over the place - particularly west of the city.  Today’s convection will be getting a boost from the forcing coming in ahead of the cold front later.

I was more concerned with to much overturning of the atmosphere from yesterdays storms but we should have had plenty of time to recover.

24 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I thought Tuesday was supposed to be cool too, these forecasts keep fluctuating.

Real cooldown comes Friday and beyond with temps in the 70s.

its not the heat it is the humidity even if it reached 90 with lower dewpoints it will feel much better then it does today..

• Like 3

Just now, MANDA said:

That one was absolutely brutal.

There were a couple since then which were also very bad but not quite to that level

1993 had nine days of 100+ at Newark including five in a row in that particular heatwave.  NYC had three days in a row of 100+

1999 if I remember correctly had 2 heatwaves of 7+ days as did 2002.

Haven't had any 7 day heatwaves at NYC since 2002.

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

That's all they have kept saying in the media, "wait for Tuesday to get  a break from the heat and humidity'

Tuesday will be nice because the humidity will be low with dewpoints well down into the 50s, but I do think we'll make it up to the low 90s. Tomorrow is the day that temps will be significantly cooler with highs in the mid 80s. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

Newark made it to 100° on Friday and Hillsborough-Duke reached 100° Saturday. Models have a 3rd day approaching 100° today in NJ. The combination of steep gradient, Ambrose Jet, and strong to severe convection pressing in from the west will produce very strong southerly flow this afternoon. All the guidance show widespread 30-40 mph gusts near the South Shore beaches. Some of the higher resolution models like the HRRR and NAM 3km have gusts approaching 50mph at the beaches later. Very rough surf and dangerous rip currents so the lifeguards will probably limit access to the water as the winds pick up.

IMG_0221.thumb.png.e4413165f455f10a3fcde32022f438de.png
IMG_0219.thumb.png.9d7a34eca8f590a62a0b2c560088a8c4.png

No wind in NY harbor, they cutting sailing short