• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June 2024

12 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

It's not just about your backyard. Boston area was around 100 today and Burlington VT did not go below 80 last night. This is the equivalent of you yelling about the media going on about a northeast blizzard when you get rain while Boston, Hartford, and Albany are buried under 3 feet. 

I guess we are lucky that our summers since the 15-16 super El Niño haven’t had the kind of warmth we had during the winters. Beating a monthly maximum temperature by 4° like we did in February 2018 when Newark hit 80° during July would equate to 112°. Most people off this forum have been enjoying the lower winter heating demand. But I am not sure how well our grid would handle temperatures above 110°. They would probably have to go into rolling brown out mode in order to keep the grid up. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Big Jims Videos said:

The ocean yesterday at parts of the Jersey Shore was 58 degrees.  Hopefully we can get a wind shift. 

West winds are the worst-cold water, hot beaches and lots of flies from the Bay side.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Big Jims Videos said:

The ocean yesterday at parts of the Jersey Shore was 58 degrees.  Hopefully we can get a wind shift. 

The beaches are going to be packed this weekend. Parts of NJ will get close to 100° with only 70s for the South Shore of Long Island beaches. This will create one of our strongest Ambrose Jet events for late June with gusts to around 40 mph or maybe higher due to the steep temperature differential. So my guess is that the lifeguards may have to really limit access to swimming due to the dangerous rip currents and very rough surf. I can remember days like this growing up in Long Beach when you would get sandblasted walking onto the beach and boardwalk. 

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The beaches are going to be packed this weekend. Parts of NJ will get close to 100° with only 70s for the South Shore of Long Island beaches. This will create one of our strongest Ambrose Jet events for late June with gusts to around 40 mph or maybe higher due to the steep temperature differential. So my guess is that the lifeguards may have to really limit access to swimming due to the dangerous rip currents and very rough surf. I can remember days like this growing up in Long Beach when you would get sandblasted walking onto the beach and boardwalk. 

Have a big beach day planned Sunday on the south shore. That doesn’t sound fun at all 

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

There's a reasonable chance ewr stays above 90 through the 4th 

Think there are two possibilities to end the heat wave there and other parts of NJ - Sat (clouds / showers) if not then there is a sharp cooldown between 27-30th that should push temps back into the 80s before ridge rebuilds.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I remember my first time experiencing these in the Rockaways. One of the more extreme events had the temperature go from the low 90’s to the low/mid 70’s almost instantly, trees blowing around and people running away with their beach stuff in tow, one of the few times I actually felt cold in the summer months.

29 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

There's a reasonable chance ewr stays above 90 through the 4th 

I agree with SACRUS that we're probably gonna see a pretty good cooldown late next week, so I doubt it will go that long. I do think we're looking at a 10 day heat wave though here in NJ, as I mentioned a couple days ago. Humidity will lower early next week, but we should still hit 90 Monday and Tuesday. This heat wave probably goes through Wednesday. Very impressive to get 10 days in a row. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I remember my first time experiencing these in the Rockaways. One of the more extreme events had the temperature go from the low 90’s to the low/mid 70’s almost instantly, trees blowing around and people running away with their beach stuff in tow, one of the few times I actually felt cold in the summer months.

Yeah, I observed it for years living in Long Beach from the 70s into 00s. But I never knew it had a specific name until the papers became available online after the internet began. I lived not far from East Broadway and would often have blowing sand down my street as the afternoon progressed. This made it difficult at times getting lunch at the snack shop located on the beach with all the blowing sand. There were always cars parked near the beach that would be covered in sand.

https://ams.confex.com/ams/89annual/techprogram/paper_144401.htm

14 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

I agree with SACRUS that we're probably gonna see a pretty good cooldown late next week, so I doubt it will go that long. I do think we're looking at a 10 day heat wave though here in NJ, as I mentioned a couple days ago. Humidity will lower early next week, but we should still hit 90 Monday and Tuesday. This heat wave probably goes through Wednesday. Very impressive to get 10 days in a row. 

I agree 17 or 18 days is unlikely but not impossible. Even Saturday which was looking like mid 80s is now back to low 90s

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I agree 17 or 18 days is unlikely but not impossible. Even Saturday which was looking like mid 80s is now back to low 90s

Yeah you never know. The late next week cooldown that the models are showing right now could disappear.

Man it is so dry out there too. It has been about 2 weeks since we've had rain here. Awful. Hopefully we'll see something soon, but the activity the next 2 days will probably stay to the north. We probably have to wait until late Sunday into Monday for a better chance.

1 minute ago, winterwx21 said:

Yeah you never know. The late next week cooldown that the models are showing right now could disappear.

Man it is so dry out there too. It has been about 2 weeks since we've had rain here. Awful. Hopefully we'll see something soon, but the activity the next 2 days will probably stay to the north. We probably have to wait until late Sunday into Monday for a better chance.

Yeah I don’t see much the next couple days

36 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

At some point we will see 90 nearly every day in the summer so heatwave criteria will need to change. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 3

55 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

At some point we will see 90 nearly every day in the summer so heatwave criteria will need to change. 

We should have different levels of heatwaves like snowstorms. Mecs secs etc

3 days of 90 mini heatwave 

3 days of 95 super heatwave 

3 days of 98 or 5 days of 95 mega heatwave