• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June 2024

74 / 65 SSW slowly crawling around more to an onshore component as the ridge center builds over MD/NJ.   Flow is aiming similar boatloads of rain into TX that southrn Fl had last week.  Warmer spots to 90 (again) others near 90. Tomorrow is the strongest onshore flow so coastal and eastern / south coasts cooler/ inland sizzle.  Thu/Fri flow more sw with the hottest temps of the week. Storms /clouds could keep it below 90 on Sat. Sun interestingly with enough clearing could be the hottest day of the period.  Continues hot Mon.  Cooler as trough swings through 6/27 - 6/30.  Beyond there looks more warm/humid.

GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Good to see others pointing out the unrealistically high Euro temperatures which were over 105° in spots and have been backing off each run. 

Tomer Burg had a thread on it 3-4 days ago as well. The euro extreme highs really need to be taken with a grain of salt.

10 hours ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

I knew this. There is no question in my mind that they had 26. There might be another missing too. I recall there was more than one in September.

WX/PT

NYC 2022 90/+ degree days

APril: 0
MAY: 2 (5/21), 5/31)
Jun: 1 (6/25)
Jul: 10 (7/1, 7/12, 7/13, 7/14, 7/19, 7/20, 7/21, 7/22, 7/23, 7/24)
Aug:  11 (8/2, 8/4, 8/6, 8/7, 8/8, 8/9, 8/19, 8/20, 8/24, 8/25, 8/27)
Sep: 1 (9/4)

Tot: 25

5 days with an 89 degree reading for a high

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 97 (1993)
NYC: 95 (1929)
LGA: 95 (1994)
JFK: 94 (1962)

Lows;

EWR: 49 (1950)
NYC: 48 (1950)
LGA: 49 (1950)
JFK: 53 (1959)

Historical:

1875 - A severe coastal storm (or possible hurricane) struck the Atlantic coast from Cape Cod to Nova Scotia. Eastport ME reported wind gusts to 57 mph. (David Ludlum)

1958 - Hailstones up to four inches in diameter killed livestock as a storm passed from Joliet to Belfry in Carbon County MT. (The Weather Channel)

1970 - Wind and rain, and hail up to seven inches deep, caused more than five million dollars damage at Oberlin KS. (The Weather Channel)

1972: Hurricane Agnes was one of the most massive June hurricanes on record. The system strengthened into a tropical storm during the night of the 15th and a hurricane on the 18th as it moved northward in the Gulf of Mexico.

1987 - It was a hot day in the Upper Great Lakes Region. Nine cities in Michigan and Wisconsin reported record high temperatures for the date. The high of 90 degrees at Marquette, MI, marked their third straight day of record heat. Severe thunderstorm in the Northern and Central High Plains Region spawned half a dozen tornadoes in Wyoming and Colorado. Wheatridge, CO, was deluged with 2.5 inches of rain in one hour. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - Severe thunderstorms in eastern North Dakota and northern Minnesota produced hail three inches in diameter and spawned four tornadoes in Steele County. Thunderstorms also produced wind gusts to 80 mph at Clearbrook MN. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Unseasonably hot weather prevailed in the southwestern U.S. In Arizona, afternoon highs of 103 degrees at Winslow, 113 degrees at Tucson, and 115 degrees at Phoenix were records for the date. (The National Weather Summary)

11 hours ago, uofmiami said:

2022 had 24:

https://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Climate/CentralPark/90DegreeDays.pdf

Edit:  Someone needs to contact OKX, their CF6 for May 2022 has 2 90+ degree days, yet their PDF list says only one day in May.  5/21 & 5/31 both hit 90+

Yes it's 25 (2 in May)

5/21: 90 / 62 (0.00)
5/31:  93 / 65 (0.00)

It hit 89 on 5-22

40 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I'll say twice 

I think twice is most likely, a shot at three times, also a shot at one or zero times. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Daily high temperatures probably occurring earlier in the day than usual.

WX/PT

2 minutes ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

I think twice is most likely, a shot at three times, also a shot at one or zero times. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Daily high temperatures probably occurring earlier in the day than usual.

WX/PT

If ewr hits 97 or above I think central park will hit 90-92 but yeah it's certainly possible they only reach 89 3 or 4x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JetsPens87 said:

Central Parks temp sensor is in the middle of a forest and should never be used for gauging a heat wave.

I have seen the endless threads about the Central Park weather station, placed under a canopy, as well as the pathetic snow measurements...

1 hour ago, Rtd208 said:

The high temp yesterday at EWR was 92

My mistake.  I know Weather Underground was reporting temps in the low 90's in Jersey, but the NWS hourly temps only indicated 90 degreess at Newark.  I guess it didn't average out to 92 for the hour?

8 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

I have seen the endless threads about the Central Park weather station, placed under a canopy, as well as the pathetic snow measurements...

This is from the end of May.  Not sure what time of the day this was.  image.png.1e8e53c6ccccae66bfda11ca3efd2010.png

56 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

My mistake.  I know Weather Underground was reporting temps in the low 90's in Jersey, but the NWS hourly temps only indicated 90 degreess at Newark.  I guess it didn't average out to 92 for the hour?

NWS website showed a high of 92 in the hourly history chart. Not sure where you are looking. 

2 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

It's embarrassing honestly

There should be some other site like LGA used as the official NYC weather obs until Central Park ASOS gets its act together. LGA is also a more central location in the city. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FPizz said:

This is from the end of May.  Not sure what time of the day this was.  image.png.1e8e53c6ccccae66bfda11ca3efd2010.png

This is what it used to look like before the trees began to grow over the sensor and put it in on the shade since the 90s. There is no way NYC would have made it to 106° back in 1936 if they had the same tree coverage that do now. 

IMG_0186.thumb.webp.b7966d73d1bf9e33d5a230f42966c54e.webp