• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

Hi! I'm brand new to the forums and also brand new to the region of New England. I am a former Southerner, hated the climate among many other aspects, so decided to head up north.

Since coming up here, it's ended up just feeling like where I came from. Heat, humidity, severe thunderstorms. I don't know how summer normally is like up here, though, as I'm brand new. Looks like being up here won't make me late summer any less.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I don't know if we will see this with the new D2 but if the trends continue, I think we will see a 10% TOR somewhere. 

Now, it is important to note mlvl lapse rates aren't great which is going to scale things back to some degree. But what that probably means is the threat for higher-end, widespread severe is diminished. What we need to watch for, however, is dewpoint pooling. If we can pool dewpoints to 74-76 that will compensate some for the weak lapse rates. 

Good call 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harmonie said:

Hi! I'm brand new to the forums and also brand new to the region of New England. I am a former Southerner, hated the climate among many other aspects, so decided to head up north.

Since coming up here, it's ended up just feeling like where I came from. Heat, humidity, severe thunderstorms. I don't know how summer normally is like up here, though, as I'm brand new. Looks like being up here won't make me late summer any less.

Expect decent swaths of humid air with the temps in the 80s.  We get into the 90s at times.   Depends where in New England. 

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Expect decent swaths of humid air with the temps in the 80s.  We get into the 90s at times.   Depends where in New England. 

I'm in southern New England, but not on the coast. I expect some humidity. The evenings when first vI got here were very nice, though. I was surprised by how pleasant the weather can get in the evening here. Like one evening it was in the lower 60s and it was amazing! It hasn't been as nice over the past several evenings, but still better than where I came from.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Been bouncing between 78-80 for a bit, solid cloud here hanging on

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harmonie said:

I'm in southern New England, but not on the coast. I expect some humidity. The evenings when first vI got here were very nice, though. I was surprised by how pleasant the weather can get in the evening here. Like one evening it was in the lower 60s and it was amazing! It hasn't been as nice over the past several evenings, but still better than where I came from.

Last week is about as hot as it gets and it does not last too long.  From July 1-august 15th is our hot period. Most of central VT spends a good deal of time on Cape Cod, Rhode Island, Maine coast and the northern New England mountains during those 6 weeks.  I grew up in central CT and it’s a ghost town during the first two weeks of August.  If you can, take a day or a weekend in RI or Cape Cod.  The National seashore beaches on the Cape look a bit like the outer banks without the development. It’s gorgeous and temps are usually 10 degrees cooler and it’s usually breezy.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, andyhb said:

I still don't like reading "weak mid level lapse rates" for any threat in the Northeast.

It gives cause for pause but as you probably know that’s the case more often than not up here. @weatherwiz it’s probably time for a thread? 

19 minutes ago, andyhb said:

I still don't like reading "weak mid level lapse rates" for any threat in the Northeast.

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It gives cause for pause but as you probably know that’s the case more often than not up here. @weatherwiz it’s probably time for a thread? 

Just got back from doing some errands so I can go out after but going to start a threat in a few.

The thing we have to remember with steep mid-level lapse rates/EML's and severe weather is this

EML's are not required for severe weather, however, they are extremely important when talking about the potential for widespread, high-end severe weather. Poor or weak mid-level lapse rates just vastly reduce the potential for widespread, high end severe weather. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Harmonie said:

Welcome to our insane family!   While we get plenty of heat and humidity here, its residence time is typically limited but less so if you’re closer to NYC vs BOS.  What town/state are you in?  

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Nasty out. Did some yardwork and the dogs wanted nothing to do with the outdoors. Looking forward to upcoming dew downs…

Thankfully here it's been in the mid-60s all day. It can dew all it wants.