• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
June 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

I haven’t even looked at ORH. That’s Scoot and Will. I just recently mentioned BDL because it’s obvious af and Ryan said a tech is checking it out tomorrow. It’s not like I’m the lone person noticing it. 

And I’m not dissing the BOS ASOS. It’s more about siting. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

ASOS isn't really there for climate record keeping, so if a temp or humidity sensor goes wonky no one cares if it's close enough which is problematic for people that care about the integrity of the climate record.

What? The vast majority of our records are from ASOS sites. Nobody cares if the Johnson Creek Mesonet hit 100. ASOS sites are typically well sited and representative of the area, of course there are exceptions. 

Even at Newark the actual ASOS site is not on the airport grounds but in a grassy area adjacent to the airport. The whole narrative that readings at ASOS sites are bogus is ridiculous

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

What? The vast majority of our records are from ASOS sites. Nobody cares if the Johnson Creek Mesonet hit 100. ASOS sites are typically well sited and representative of the area, of course there are exceptions. 

Even at Newark the actual ASOS site is not on the airport grounds but in a grassy area adjacent to the airport. The whole narrative that readings at ASOS sites are bogus is ridiculous

That's not what he's saying. 

The sensors themselves aren't great and frequently have issued. They aren't designed for climate record keeping like the COOP stations are.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

That's not what he's saying. 

The sensors themselves aren't great and frequently have issued. They aren't designed for climate record keeping like the COOP stations are.

Davis stations at homes are better and more accurate. It’s embarrassing what they use for equipment . And then records go into the books that aren’t real 

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

The ASOS record began in 1996 and exists primarily for air traffic safety. For example, if the RVR, vis, CHI, wind, or pressure sensor (especially class 1 stations if any still exist) goes bad, it's getting addressed pretty quickly. If a temp, hum, or precip sensor drifts, it'll get fixed whenever because it's not critical to aviation. A lot of the disputes here are less about siting and more about suspicious measurements. The climate record even at the first order sites are mostly stitched together through time anyway using nearby stations and differing equipment since the climate records go back before airports.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, psv88 said:

I think they are just saying that if the ASOS is off a degree or two, it’s not impacting Air Traffic safety.  Air safety is the sites primary reason, climate just piggybacks on it.  If that thing starts giving faulty visibility and ceiling readings, folks will be on it immediately.  Temps get a lot of leeway before techs are sent. 

• Like 1

Kids bouncing around pools. Outside grilling and parties. Summer as it should be. How memories are made. 

Compare that to the memories of 40F rain, anger, and domestic disputes that compromises winter now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Kids bouncing around pools. Outside grilling and parties. Summer as it should be. How memories are made. 

Compare that to the memories of 40F rain, anger, and domestic disputes that compromises winter now.

The past twenty years on the forums have seen many a winter weenie become disenfranchised and start to enjoy the weather they can count on, heat and torches.  Really has accelerated recently, following the temperature graph, ha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The past twenty years on the forums have seen many a winter weenie become disenfranchised and start to enjoy the weather they can count on, heat and torches.  Really has accelerated recently, following the temperature graph, ha.

You are one of us 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

These last two winters have been a disaster. Nothing but depression for months. It honestly makes me cheer on summer. I hate to say it, but that’s how I’m starting to feel lately. I’m much more happier in the warm season.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You are one of us 

I’m not yearning for darkness, that’s for sure.  Walking the dog right now, sun is still high in the sky, sweating just walking for an hour, but I wouldn’t trade for it to have been dark for 3 hours now like in December.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Not me. Eff the heat.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2