Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
June 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Sure does, could see some flash flooding too as storms should train. 

Shear isn't overly strong but looks like there will be a narrow corridor of bulk shear > 30 knots tomorrow within that area. Lapse rates aren't too terrible either. 

Any advice on how to remain safe? I get scared when scrawny weather types in mid 90's Bruins pull-overs start talking about running trains on me.

• Haha 2

Since we've been on the subject ... I've noticed recently that FIT's DPs are higher and more in concert with other NWS sites around the area.  

I'd long maintained that site seemed a bit too dry.

Just curious, is there a maintenance log anywhere for NWS machinery?

20 minutes ago, Hoth said:

10 miles on the books. Very sticky, but not too hot.

Jesus... not sure how that's even done at that temp.    I ran 5 on Mill at the gym yesterday ... where they had issues keeping the facility below 77 and it was brutal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heat index of 99 at DAW as of 9:50 a.m.

We started much hotter here today, than yesterday. It's a furnace already. 

Hotter start.

No clouds.

Less wind.

Ya really can't get hotter around here than these conditions... This is uniquely miserable. I'll try to enjoy it for its "holy shitness" 

• Like 2

Heating up a lot faster today than yesterday.  The low here was 6° above yesterday's, but some selected Maine sites have an even greater rise between the 2 days.  Using PWM, SFM, IZG, AUG, BGR and CAR, at 10 yesterday their average was 76.3/66.0.  Same time today: 86.0/73.5, climb of 9.7/7.5.  NH change is less, 3 sites, MHT, CON, BML, are ~4° above yesterday.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

WTF is going on there? That is nuts.

I've seen local studies discussing the development of a nocturnal southerly jet on the VT side of Lake Champlain, being funneled up between the cooler lake waters and the Green Mountain Spine.

You can see Plattsburgh, NY (PBG) on the NY side of the lake was calm all night with mist/fog and got down to 68F.

However, at a time of the night when all other sites are showing calm, BTV is actually seeing increasing wind.  

This is some tropical stuff.  Breeze actually peaks in the 4am hour when most other sites are hitting their minimums for the night.  It's like the wind increases to fight off any possible decoupling.

Untitled.jpg.62a16a505bda41bee5a03ac2939120c3.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Heating up a lot faster today than yesterday.  The low here was 6° above yesterday's, but some selected Maine sites have an even greater rise between the 2 days.  Using PWM, SFM, IZG, AUG, BGR and CAR, at 10 yesterday their average was 76.3/66.0.  Same time today: 86.0/73.5, climb of 9.7/7.5.  NH change is less, 3 sites, MHT, CON, BML, are ~4° above yesterday.

Interesting ... as I've been opining all morning, we had a bit of a delay - cause unknown - where several sites stuck at 81 for an hour under full sun.  

There may have yet been a genesis of a shallow low level inversion, even in this torridity ... BOS was down to 69.x while BTV was 81 ... There's almost no movement to the air so there might have been a bit of challenge at first to mix out -

• Like 1