Total Members
    Most Online
    happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
June 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I may look into that for next year. Can only do so much each year with 2 now in college 

I think you mentioned that before.

guessing your lot is around 1/2 acre? Would be around $5-6k I think

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

you need an irrigation system desperately. you don't even have to think about watering your lawn, just set it and forget it.

Might not be a good idea, he’s probably on a private well, could go dry if it’s not deep enough

• Like 1

The other problem with the euro overmixing is it gets the mixing heights up around H75-H8 so you’re mixing dry adiabatically down to 850. So you’re inflating the temp at that level a couple degC as well. It all ties in together. That’s why when I see it spitting out 105/55 at 2m with 24C 850s and mixing to H75 I just instatoss it and play it closer to normal big heat climo. 

• Like 6

I was really hoping for mid 70's dewpoints. There is something magical about wearing jeans and just feeling the sweat develop on your legs and if you listen super closely, you can hear a faint sizzle as the material of the jeans slowly absorbs the sweat. The sensation you get when you slowly tug the jeans down to try and take them off...it's indescribable. 

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Brewbeer said:

Might not be a good idea, he’s probably on a private well, could go dry if it’s not deep enough

Meh, that's probably not a big deal. But you are right, he would need to get the GPM and recovery rate tested first, which any reputable irrigation company would do anyway. i am on a well and have irrigation. i have a 20 minute recovery/rest between zones to give the pump time to chill out and for the well to recover.

• Weenie 1

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah just less diurnal ranges, our records are more like 130 degree ranges.  Can be 98F, or -33F.

We've lived in 4 towns since moving to Maine in early 1973.  Each place had its own character for extremes.

Bangor (3 yr)  Range: 118°  Max: 102 on 8/2/75; Min: -16 on 1/16/74. 
We were in town; the AP hit -24 in Dec. 1975 while we only got down to -13 that month.

Fort Kent (9.7 yr)  Range: 142°  Max: 95 on 5/27/78; Min: -47 on 1/17/79. 
Both were set when we lived in town.  After we moved to the Violette Settlement, 450' higher than town, in 9/81 Max: 94 on 7/4/83; Min: -34 on 1/18/82 and 1/12/84.  Range: 128°

Gardiner (13 yr)  Range:  118°  Max: 93 on 7/20/91;  Min:  -25 on 2/7/93 and 1/20/94   
We lived on a forested lot 3 miles from town center

New Sharon (since 5/15/98)  Range: 129°   Max: 93 on 7/3 and 9/9/02    Min: -36 on 1/16/09. 
We're in a frost pocket, as cold air drains from a field and stops at our lot as it's surrounded by thick forest on 3 sides..

We've had only 2 heat waves in our 53 years in state.  Ironically, both were at Fort Kent and both in May:  22-24/77 and 27-29/78.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, weathafella said:

BOS is rocketing now with a bit of a downsloper.  

Now that we've collectively groused the apparent "failure" of the models to correctly assess the temperatures that will be realized by this first bigger anomaly of the season, ... the 12z NAM came in with a real roaster at Logan for tomorrow and Thursday.  

FOUS grid for BOS

30000607452 -1494 242311 77  31 22 15
54000545750 -1193 222311 77 32 23 16 

Those spreads will typically yield 35 .. 36 in the 2-meter.  There is no codified def for "big heat" but I've always suggested 95 - with some valid argument that the HI should be a part of that discussion.   With DPs in the 65 to 71 range, there's not much contention either way if those are realized.

• Like 1

The NAM bursting the T1 by 3 C, and the T2 by 1 to 2 C in this run this morning, and looking at area obs already 90 as of 11:xx am should give pause when using the MET for tomorrow.  Now that we are in the same synoptic realm that will realize both today and tomorrow ... we are valid to test the behavior ( now-cast ) this thing.

unfortunately my weather station here in Holyoke is a Acurite, and I think the temp sensor has a radiation problem.. it definitely reads high when it is sunny..

A Davis, it ain't.

There are some other issues with it as well, but I don't know if those are due to the station or the weewx driver. I gotta get something better for up here.

I think we're at 86/74 here right now, which is pretty dewy for these parts..

3 minutes ago, w1pf said:

unfortunately my weather station here in Holyoke is a Acurite, and I think the temp sensor has a radiation problem.. it definitely reads high when it is sunny..

A Davis, it ain't.

There are some other issues with it as well, but I don't know if those are due to the station or the weewx driver. I gotta get something better for up here.

I think we're at 86/74 here right now, which is pretty dewy for these parts..

Several folks have said my Davis vp2 with fars readings are/were bogus over the years, siting is fine etc.. you can't please everyone.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Looks like Tip left a black frisbee on the FIT ASOS

image.gif

It's 91 here ... 91 at FIT ... and 90 at ASH   that depiction isn't right for what it makes the complexion look like