• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
June 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

There's an element of discovery in every entry into a new pattern - which this is... 

The heights are evolving faster than the surface is catching up.  If you look at 12z's initialization on this NAM run ( not saying anything that happens afterword has much value one way or the other ...)

image.png.9800a7234806d7613cfeb8b99a6f8477.png

we are already over 582+ heights within a recognizable heat -related configuration.  I've seen it be 98 like that.  Again, the 850 mb is missing from this - or is yet to catch up... etc.

Yet it's 75 at 11.   Point is, this is coming in like a wall.   Bursting forth is probably apropos.  I don't think today, lagging as it appears to be, will be of much useful indication or offer much value in the area of "correcting" based on now-cast/present behavior biasing.

I was noticing that the 850 mb rise from 13C at dawn to 16 or so by 21 Z...  continuing to rise toward 18 or 19 Tues at dawm. We may even have a late high temperature today.  Like we creep to 84 not realized until 5:30 pm ...then the lows tonight stay relatively elevated. 

It may be more like how tomorrow's behavior goes; telling us something about Wed. 

There's going to be some cumulative effect thereafter.  Like the lows Wed night should be higher than the lows Tues night, even though by then...both overnights will be embedded in the same synoptic circumstance.  That's just the battery charging from two days -worth of insolation vs just one... Thursday night could be quite impressive for that matter.

We'll have to see how the DP advection fits into that.  If we get a metalic 74DP in place under a 95 or 96 afternoon, that night may stay 80 in urban layouts.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I was just looking around at obs and actual sfc features ( ha)

I'm wondering if the NAM isn't as bad as we've been thinking.

image.png.e020f487de06242e7cb617a15bd0ed8f.png

That warm front has 73 to 76 F DPs west, low to mid 60s east.  We may see some drying from DVM associated with rising pig ridge heights... also if the wind can bend into more of a WNW direction..etc, but if the 850s mb is "only" 20C and we turn the air into a theta-e miasma, that would stymie down a Euro look.

Actually, the MET has 97 at ASH on Wed so -

Euro had Tds of 70-71 over a smaller region that is 72+ right now, but it really mixes it out in the midwest by 18z. So let’s see if that happens over the next few hours. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Temperature notwithstanding imagine not appreciating the long daylight we have now?  It’s fleeting but I wish it weren’t.  Ironically I also appreciate the nadir 6 months from now.

I actually enjoy an evening with temperatures in the mid 70's after sunset.  I hated it when we lived in the city but it's more pleasant in the country.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

CON has never gotten over 102° so I think we’d need more than 20-21C at H85 to pull it off unless we can line up the state police chopper’s exhaust right on the ASOS before it takes off to pull over more Massholes.

Don't give them any ideas about a chopper, the Cessna they fly in loops over my house for traffic patrol is loud enough already.

• Haha 1

We'll likely recess this positive anomaly we're in ( the models appear too aggressive with fronts over the weekend but MCS activity may also get involved/obfuscate matters...) but the general -PNA scaffold remains in place, so this kind of signal in the operational GFS' extended has more relative merit.  Feel higher than model climate confidence for eastern ridging - obviously less so for details.

image.png.ac7d6e33168268a97b7f1168598dd985.png

Contrary to what many might expect it's actually pretty uncommon to get high-end heat in June, outside of maybe the last week of the month. Forget about triple digits, it's hard to even reach the upper 90s in June. The last high-end June heat wave that I can recall was June 8-10, 2008. PVD reached 97F on 6/9; just 1F shy of the all time monthly record. That was in early June which made it even more unusual. I remember they had an early dismissal from schools that day for the kids in many areas which was pretty unprecedented. I would take the under on getting anything past like 95 or 96 for most of SNE.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Still looks mostly 68-72 to me with outliers either way? Anyway, 12z euro brought the dews up

image.gif

And now they're not that high. LOL  ... I mean eastern IN and western OH is exactly where it's dried.  weird

It's probably not significant to the big picture. 

Turning into a refreshing looking front on Saturday ... nice.    I was thinking based on the mid level configuration the models were too aggressive with the inevitable boundary but the Euro's got the back door look at 500 mb now.  so we'll see.

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

Temperature notwithstanding imagine not appreciating the long daylight we have now?  It’s fleeting but I wish it weren’t.  Ironically I also appreciate the nadir 6 months from now.

I’m the same way. The 9:45 sunsets in Marquette, MI we’re awesome. 

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

And now they're not that high. LOL  ... I mean eastern IN and western OH is exactly where it's dried.  weird

It's probably not significant to the big picture. 

Maybe not. 

Euro looks a couple F cooler Wed. More in line with the gfs. I think it’s lining up to be a 96-98 deal for most in the MRV. Maybe CT-east deals with some LIS/Atl taint. 

• Like 1

Just now, dendrite said:

Maybe not. 

Euro looks a couple F cooler Wed. More in line with the gfs. I think it’s lining up to be a 96-98 deal for most in the MRV. Maybe CT-east deals with some LIS/Atl taint. 

Agreed.  Been thinking 97er heh.  

I think the heights are left sort of gutted.  this whole situation would soar/perform better with that 850 mb/sw injection.

The pattern isn't over though from what I'm looking at.  Looks like the -PNA may send another ridge.

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah, no one in their right mind would see this layout as being different ...

image.thumb.png.35285b692e42872d45f348607ef134fa.png

This has always been about the dews. Some got obsessed with 100’s.There is no fresh dry cool airmass is the point 

As the upper level ridge is suppressed to our
south...we do expect the excessive heat to break but it still will
be humid.

30 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Turning into a refreshing looking front on Saturday ... nice.    I was thinking based on the mid level configuration the models were too aggressive with the inevitable boundary but the Euro's got the back door look at 500 mb now.  so we'll see.

That was my thought originally too…that it’d take until Sunday or Monday for the break to occur, but I suppose we’re trending toward a shorter technical heat wave for now.

It's also not a classic tropical airmass. Look at the modeled TDs and lower theta-e at 925 come into the southeast US and then up the coast. It's not a classic sub-tropical feed as we know it. That may come next week. Been thinking 94-97 for awhile, but looks like some 98s or so for sure coming up. Maybe dews 65-70 overall at peak?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

It's also not a classic tropical airmass. Look at the modeled TDs and lower theta-e at 925 come into the southeast US and then up the coast. It's not a classic sub-tropical feed as we know it. That may come next week. Been thinking 94-97 for awhile, but looks like some 98s or so for sure coming up. Maybe dews 65-70 overall at peak?

I was thinking something similar to myself earlier. I don't know if we'll really see any oppressive dewpoints with this. Now I don't think dews will be low enough or mix low enough for widespread 100+. The plume of richest theta-e air and llvl moisture will be off to the West.