• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
June 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

Those three consecutive mid-month days with the heat index well above 100° broke me. For the first time - and to my everlasting shame - I have installed... Not nearly enough for the whole house of course, but it provides a safe haven (in the guest bedroom) should it be necessary to retreat from the heat!

20240626_152641compressed.jpg

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Those three consecutive mid-month days with the heat index well above 100° broke me. For the first time - and to my everlasting shame - I have installed... Not nearly enough for the whole house of course, but it provides a safe haven (in the guest bedroom) should it be necessary to retreat from the heat!

20240626_152641compressed.jpg

Climate shifting, installs where they weren’t before.

I feel like 15 years ago no one had AC up here.  Now everyone has it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We didn't have it down here when I was a kid. We had one fan for the whole house and we just sweated our assess off. Never slept well when it was HHH. Used to like to go to work in an air conditioned grocery store and go in the walk in freezer, that was my reprieve.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Nice. Kinda hard to see the leaves there, but maybe those are some in the pic near the top right? That sassafras definitely stands out though.

We have quite a few elm growing by the stream in the back woods that are tall and leggy. I’m not sure if growing in the water has helped them? I have another in my backyard that’s probably 40ft tall that a porcupine has been tearing up and another sapling growing in my tiger lily bed that a deer ate up. I’m trying to root a few of the semi hardened off cuttings that the porky left fallen on the ground.

Interesting article on elm trees. Apparently they can grow bigger and live longer than I thought. They rarely last longer than 50 years however. They also classify them as "avoiders" or "survivors" . I found one today that is 21 inches in diameter. Would have to believe it's older than 50 years. 

https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-us/where-we-work/united-states/vermont/stories-in-vermont/largest-elm-tree-restoration-in-the-northeast/

20240630_095800.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

Interesting article on elm trees. Apparently they can grow bigger and live longer than I thought. They rarely last longer than 50 years however. They also classify them as "avoiders" or "survivors" . I found one today that is 21 inches in diameter. Would have to believe it's older than 50 years. 

https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-us/where-we-work/united-states/vermont/stories-in-vermont/largest-elm-tree-restoration-in-the-northeast/

20240630_095800.jpg

How do you like splitting elm?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, kdxken said:

It has no redeeming qualities. None. If they were the only trees in my forest I would bury my saws.

My strategy is hack-and-squirt herbicide and wait 2 years.  Reduces splitting labor from impossible down to difficult with my maul.  Trick is to have just enough natural degrade to make the wood brittle without losing most of the heat value, though the bark almost always falls off.  Doesn't work on some elms.  Only trees within 100 feet of our stove qualify.  :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

My strategy is hack-and-squirt herbicide and wait 2 years.  Reduces splitting labor from impossible down to difficult with my maul.  Trick is to have just enough natural degrade to make the wood brittle without losing most of the heat value, though the bark almost always falls off.  Doesn't work on some elms.  Only trees within 100 feet of our stove qualify.  :D

I got a cut up elm one year and tried cutting it with a small electric splitter, got a bunch of mangled splits, I find it splits better frozen.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Every year or two I see a nice straight dry one next to a trail and say what the hell why not? Split one or two rounds and then drive the rest back into the forest and throw it off the trailer. Sometimes I just don't learn...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Lots of reasons for that though, that aren’t necessarily climate related. Most people moving to forced air systems from water based systems makes it easier for central A/C even if you don’t need it. On some systems it’s now more expensive to get it without it since the central HVAC systems are designed for the entire country.

Window units are also less expensive in relation to inflation now that last are made in China, Thailand, and Vietnam.

I will say the climate related need is that it’s warmer and humid more often than it was a decade ago, regardless of what anyone feels is the cause.