Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
June 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, Sled said:

Beautiful elm too. A friend of mine has 2 on the edge of one of his corn fields. Gotta love the perseverance. Just sad to think my kids might feel the same way about ash and beech that we do about elm and chestnut.

Our beech has beach leaf disease. This tree is one of the reasons we bought this lot 30 yrs ago.  It's now roughly 50' tall with a 50' canopy and shades most of the front yard. The arborist wants to do a root flare injection for $900. But everything I read says spending hundreds a year will only prolong the inevitable. So we'll probably have to have it cut down.

DSCF8171.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, hammerz_nailz said:

Our beech has beach leaf disease. This tree is one of the reasons we bought this lot 30 yrs ago.  It's now roughly 50' tall with a 50' canopy and shades most of the front yard. The arborist wants to do a root flare injection for $900. But everything I read says spending hundreds a year will only prolong the inevitable. So we'll probably have to have it cut down.

DSCF8171.jpg

I can get it milled, dried, and turned into custom furniture for you when the time comes if you like:)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hammerz_nailz said:

DSCF8171.jpg

No need to spend hundreds a year. You can legally buy every chemical online and diy. The same exact stuff the professionals charge you $900 is available online for probably $40. 

https://www.domyown.com/

• Like 2

Dry weather with near to slightly above normal temperatures Tuesday and Wednesday. Increasing risk for some showers and isolated thunderstorms Wednesday night into Thursday. Also expecting increased humidity with above normal temperatures Thursday into Saturday. The timing and coverage of these showers and thunderstorms remains the most uncertain aspect of this forecast. With many outdoor plans for the holiday, it would be best to monitor the forecast over the coming days.

Normal to above...take

• Like 1

It is so disgusting out.  I was trying to get some plants in the ground and do other outdoor jobs but it is just so disgusting out and the bugs are crazy.  Yesterday was perfect planting- cool -58 to 60, rainy enough to drive away the bugs but not enough to make it unworkable.

This is just awful out there today.

edit: two closest stations are 78/85 and 81/73.  I just can't handle working outside in temps over 75 anymore thanks to living at 1200'+ in C and N VT for years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Here's the tree, the one in the middle of the ATV. There's an axe at the bottom that measures 32 inches to give an idea of height.

20240630_095655.jpg

Nice. Kinda hard to see the leaves there, but maybe those are some in the pic near the top right? That sassafras definitely stands out though.

We have quite a few elm growing by the stream in the back woods that are tall and leggy. I’m not sure if growing in the water has helped them? I have another in my backyard that’s probably 40ft tall that a porcupine has been tearing up and another sapling growing in my tiger lily bed that a deer ate up. I’m trying to root a few of the semi hardened off cuttings that the porky left fallen on the ground.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

No need to spend hundreds a year. You can legally buy every chemical online and diy. The same exact stuff the professionals charge you $900 is available online for probably $40. 

https://www.domyown.com/

Of all the available treatments, root injection with Arbotect 20-S is showing the most promise, but is not a cure and would still need to be done yearly to prolong the life of the tree. It's a process where you drill into the root flare of the tree and set up tubing around the circumference and pump the chemical into the roots. Arbotect 20-s is available for consumer purchase in CT. It's $550.00 per gallon.

15 minutes ago, klw said:

It is so disgusting out.  I was trying to get some plants in the ground and do  other outdoor jobs but it is just so  disgusting out and the bugs are crazy.  Yesterday  was perfect planting- cool -58 to 60, rainy enough to  drive away the bugs but not enough to  make it unworkable.

This is just awful out there today.

edit: two closest stations are 78/85 and 81/73.  I am so not acclimatized to temps over 75 anymore.

These hhh days are akin to washouts. Indoors only.

• Like 1