Total Members
    Most Online
    g0ldl10n
    Newest Member
    g0ldl10n
June 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

It just keeps fukking pouring rain.

Just passed 1.30” on the day, Lower Village is over 1.50”.  Over 9” for the month at numerous Stowe sites, here’s the one on the Country Club across the river from me.

With tomorrow left to go, maybe we can break 10” of rainfall in June for an average of 1” every 3 days?

What a month.  Temps ranging from 36F to 93F and keep adding to that rain total.  So saturated, there’s water everywhere, pooling in yards, pouring out of creeks, river is muddy and swuft.

IMG_0101.jpeg.f21e1004bac9cbb4d15ea3e2d3c576d1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

Of course I have a tree question for you. While hunting oaks today I ran across a healthy American chestnut about 30 ft tall and 10 inches in diameter. Certainly an outlier for me. They usually die much smaller.  What do you find up in your neck of the woods?

Leaf pics? Is there a big stump adjacent or nearby? There’s a lot of chinese/american hybrids around including dunstan.

1 minute ago, ineedsnow said:

Paul try to see if you can see something that looks like a hour glass

I was trying to look closely at the body…there was like a red rectangular outline. I think it’s dead now though, my girlfriend got the fly swatter and well it’s down the sink drain now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

32 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It just keeps fukking pouring rain.

Just passed 1.30” on the day, Lower Village is over 1.50”.  Over 9” for the month at numerous Stowe sites, here’s the one on the Country Club across the river from me.

With tomorrow left to go, maybe we can break 10” of rainfall in June for an average of 1” every 3 days?

What a month.  Temps ranging from 36F to 93F and keep adding to that rain total.  So saturated, there’s water everywhere, pooling in yards, pouring out of creeks, river is muddy and swuft.

IMG_0101.jpeg.f21e1004bac9cbb4d15ea3e2d3c576d1.jpeg

Just .33” here. Didn’t make the day any less miserable but we’ve been spared the amounts you’ve been getting to the north. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Just .33” here. Didn’t make the day any less miserable but we’ve been spared the amounts you’ve been getting to the north. 

You’ve still had frequent soakings, which is a positive this time of year (golf courses love a regular watering from Mother Nature)… but interesting it’s been such a sharp gradient on some heavy rain events.  We’ve been unlucky being in the convective firehose for a couple weeks now.  I haven’t been able to hike and wander the mountains with the dog in the evenings due to weather (during the longest days of the year) like I usually can.

Another heavy rainer from Waterbury to Stowe in the valley. Totally random axis/luck.

IMG_0104.jpeg.79aa3e5065587c0e27a963c2f4623a92.jpeg
IMG_0106.jpeg.5e214df647b1c7a3c7f26e5c77171858.jpeg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

You’ve still had frequent soakings, which is a positive this time of year (golf courses love a regular watering from Mother Nature)… but interesting it’s been such a sharp gradient on some heavy rain events.  We’ve been unlucky being in the convective firehose for a couple weeks now.  I haven’t been able to hike and wander the mountains with the dog in the evenings due to weather (during the longest days of the year) like I usually can.

Another heavy rainer from Waterbury to Stowe in the valley. Totally random axis/luck.

IMG_0104.jpeg.79aa3e5065587c0e27a963c2f4623a92.jpeg
IMG_0106.jpeg.5e214df647b1c7a3c7f26e5c77171858.jpeg

With what KMPV recorded Saturday, they are bang in average for precip in June. 

7 hours ago, dendrite said:

Leaf pics? Is there a big stump adjacent or nearby? There’s a lot of chinese/american hybrids around including dunstan.

It's in an area where lots of shoots try to grow. At one time I think the area was all chestnuts. I'll grab a picture 

Just now, dendrite said:

The air took quite a turn here overnight. 
image.gif

Yep, nastiest of the year. 75/72

10 hours ago, kdxken said:

Of course I have a tree question for you. While hunting oaks today I ran across a healthy American chestnut about 30 ft tall and 10 inches in diameter. Certainly an outlier for me. They usually die much smaller.  What do you find up in your neck of the woods?

Incredible! I have a couple saplings that grow off old root stock then die back, rinse and repeat. My folks have one that flowered this year.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sled said:

Beautiful elm too. A friend of mine has 2 on the edge of one of his corn fields. Gotta love the perseverance. Just sad to think my kids might feel the same way about ash and beech that we do about elm and chestnut.

Unfortunately the elm is now dead. Survived the Dutch elm disease for all those years and then the gypsy moths got it.

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, kdxken said:

The public lot at Topsham next to Merrymeeting Bay has some chestnuts.  There was one 15" by 60 feet that was used for controlled pollination by the ACF, but it was been blighted 10-12 years ago.   Following the 1989 thinning of a 15-acre pine plantation established in 1959 on what had been a market garden since the early 40s, a 5-foot-tall sprout was seen in a skid trail - almost 50 years after the field being stumped and plowed.  It grew to 55 feet and 12" with nut crops but the blight arrived ~10 years ago.  Last I saw it, the lowest 15 feet was still alive.
Farther north, at the edge of its historic natural range, the Bradford public land (25 miles north from BGR) has several mature chestnuts.  The biggest got blighted 5 years ago but had produced seedlings in the small patch cut to its immediate south.  A planted one was 40 feet tall as of 2020, twenty years after being a 2-foot seedling.

• Like 3

Operational GFS is at or > 570 hydrostats from D3 to D12 on 06z ...  Almost that long on the 00z.   Both are showing a low more WAR than other guidance, too. 

May just be a peregrination ... the ensembles have a -PNA in the foreground but tend to neutral way out there - but clearly ... the coherency and correlative usefulness is entering the seasonal low from the looks of things. 

Enjoy your tornados today!