Total Members
    Most Online
    g0ldl10n
    Newest Member
    g0ldl10n
June 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

17 minutes ago, rimetree said:

No problem getting some yard work done in this weather. Overcast, breezy and in the 60s. The heat will be back but it almost feels like we've had our highest temp of the year already.

History here says yes.  We reached our 20th 90+ in 27 summers last week and have not reached 90 in July/August/September since 2002. 
90s by month:  May 2; June 9; July 3; Aug 4; Sept 2.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, tamarack said:

History here says yes.  We reached our 20th 90+ in 27 summers last week and have not reached 90 in July/August/September since 2002. 
90s by month:  May 2; June 9; July 3; Aug 4; Sept 2.

N of about CON NH latitude by about another 20 or 30 miles on N it is hard to do it after spring. 

The reason for that counter intuitive assessment is because heat early typically is drier.  It arrives 'over the top' and then additionally ... the vectors are downsloping as well.    Once theta -e is densely injected into the air mass, the sun after the solstice at those latitudes is increasingly challenged to deliver enough energy to raise the temperature very high when the energy is being absorbed in water vapor.

Most high heat at high latitudes doesn't accompany 70+ DPs. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Absolute dumpster fire day.  Temps holding around 60F, some local sites dipping into the 50s with steady synoptic rainfall.  Cold season type system with steady warm frontal precip.

Would be a nice SWFE lol.

I couldn’t play in our club’s member/member this weekend because of my wife’s family reunion. I’m pretty happy I’m not out there chasing golf balls around. At least at the family reunion we had canopies to be under. 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

N of about CON NH latitude by about another 20 or 30 miles on N it is hard to do it after spring. 

The reason for that counter intuitive assessment is because heat early typically is drier.  It arrives 'over the top' and then additionally ... the vectors are downsloping as well.    Once theta -e is densely injected into the air mass, the sun after the solstice at those latitudes is increasingly challenged to deliver enough energy to raise the temperature very high when the energy is being absorbed in water vapor.

Most high heat at high latitudes doesn't accompany 70+ DPs. 

Last week's 90 was something of an anomaly for June as the TD was 70 or a bit higher.
Caribou's all time hottest is 96, reached 4 times including this month.  Three have been in June and one came on May 22, 1977.

28 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Last week's 90 was something of an anomaly for June as the TD was 70 or a bit higher.
Caribou's all time hottest is 96, reached 4 times including this month.  Three have been in June and one came on May 22, 1977.

Keeping in mind ... climate's also shifting a little.  

But yeah, I just mean in general.  With those lower DP heat expulsions out of the SW that sometimes arrive on an early season ridge ballooning, it's going to be easier to 96 that ... Probably huge diurnals, too

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Of course I have a tree question for you. While hunting oaks today I ran across a healthy American chestnut about 30 ft tall and 10 inches in diameter. Certainly an outlier for me. They usually die much smaller.  What do you find up in your neck of the woods?

• Like 2