Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Lucky. My station says 89/82 lol but I think it’s a little off. Regardless it’s choking outside. 

You literally have NYC summer climo.  I generally am ok with dews but the heat and dews cooked me Thursday afternoon.  Happy for the break before we get a milder version during tomorrow and the week ahead.

• Like 1

Thankfully tornado warning expired before going over where I'm living. Still freaked me out!

We got small hail. The people around were panicking about it. I assume that means they're not used to hail up here? That hail was small and I was relieved to see that's all we got. lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pretty ordinary shelf cloud in HVN, only slightly menacing. Not worthy of a photo. Had some hopes of a meso based on prior radar trends but area of interest got buried behind outflow dominant gust front, as almost always happens this close to stable marine air. Still, some nice thunder and lightning ongoing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harmonie said:

Thankfully tornado warning expired before going over where I'm living. Still freaked me out!

We got small hail. The people around were panicking about it. I assume that means they're not used to hail up here? That hail was small and I was relieved to see that's all we got. lol

You’ll quickly learn Oklahoma severe and CT severe are not remotely similar. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Hoth said:

The warnings are not that similar either. Stuff that would be ignored in OK can get tor warned here. The local NWS office does the best they can, but with the high population densities in CT they tend to err on the side of caution and the warning threshold is often rather low. Of course, the relative unfamiliarity with rotating storms also means that occasionally some cells that should be warned aren't, or aren't warned in a timely manner. Basically, you're not in Kansas (or OK) anymore, but you'll soon get used to the way things operate around here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ct_yankee said:

The warnings are not that similar either. Stuff that would be ignored in OK can get tor warned here. The local NWS office does the best they can, but with the high population densities in CT they tend to err on the side of caution and the warning threshold is often rather low. Of course, the relative unfamiliarity with rotating storms also means that occasionally some cells that should be warned aren't, or aren't warned in a timely manner. Basically, you're not in Kansas (or OK) anymore, but you'll soon get used to the way things operate around here.

Well, that's a bit unnerving!

A shame I can't look at the radar and tell what's going on myself. You'd think after living in OK and watching soooo many live weather casts during tornadic storms you'd think I'd be able to see a 'couplet' for myself, but when I try to see that stuff outside of when it's pointed to me I'm useless.

Point is, if there's any storm nearby, just head for cover, right? :lol:

20 minutes ago, Harmonie said:

10 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I can count on two fingers the times it has hailed in my back yard. One was in DC and the other was in CT on December 30, 2019. :lol: 

• Haha 3

Wow. Well that explains that.

People were all like "OMG our cars!!" and I was all like "That's it? Nothing to worry about. That happens all of the time. Never seen much of any damage come out of that!".

I mean, I've seen golf ball sized hail. Sounded like boulders hitting the roof. :blink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

The most tropical day so far here in Southbury and all we could muster was a 5 minute shower that was more sun than clouds....0.04"

Yesterday a few rumbles of thunder and 0.67", glad to see the summer convection shield is just as strong as the winter snow shield...haha

Pretty wet over the past hour. 1.18” 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Harmonie said:

We got small hail. The people around were panicking about it. I assume that means they're not used to hail up here?

Nah they’re just not used to seeing any frozen precip anymore.

• Haha 8