• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

Just incredible, we go from dead silent and tropical to gusty winds and a noticeably moister airmass in just a few minutes. Gotta love early summer convection, especially as it happens right in front of you! We could really use a good soaking right now too.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There is no upper level support for these storms. So the outflow is the main mechanism to cause them to develop. When that happens you get the storms to pulse more and aren’t sustained for long periods of time. The outflow is moving SSE. You can clearly see it on radar. But the mid level steering flow is more westerly. That’s what you are seeing.

I have a tendency to see radar as 2D, but I know it's more complicated than that. Just trying to understand what's going on in the vertical shear, like the horizontal movement, just trying to envision the vertical rolling dynamics. 

8 minutes ago, MarkO said:

I have a tendency to see radar as 2D, but I know it's more complicated than that. Just trying to understand what's going on in the vertical shear, like the horizontal movement, just trying to envision the vertical rolling dynamics. 

When there is no shear and you have an outflow boundary like that, you tend to get those elongated looking cells. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I had .25”. It did clean the dust and pollen off the car. 

We got lucky with a nice soak here along the river and Stowe CC.  One final round moving through, might get to 1.5”? A couple cells maxed out overhead, maybe feeding on the warmth/moisture pooling in the valley.

IMG_9954.jpeg.8f5bdcbc3edc58d142de2c0418dcb8fa.jpeg

10 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

There is no upper level support for these storms. So the outflow is the main mechanism to cause them to develop. When that happens you get the storms to pulse more and aren’t sustained for long periods of time. The outflow is moving SSE. You can clearly see it on radar. But the mid level steering flow is more westerly. That’s what you are seeing.

Any reason imaginable to shorten heat in New England

Whenever a pattern like this and that evolves, you figure there is a 100% chance of something happening to steal 18 - 30 hours off the front or aft end of the duration ...while having almost 0% chance of actually knowing why that will be.

The model runs from about 4 days ago began suggesting the front would sag S and end things on Friday, when just prior to that they had the heat going through the weekend - altho attenuating some.

I began arguing all week that the mid level flow/synoptics did not support a frontal position that far S,  without conventional mechanics ...under those big heights.   I do recall mentioning that the models seem to be confusing the outflow from convection bundling ( perhaps ) as the front.   What's interesting is that the shrouded transparent low scud at dawn are moving S as though the front did go through but according to WPC it is still hang up near or N of Brian ...which is where the mid lvls suggest it should be.   Interesting saga with that for nerds like me.

• Like 3

Here’s the BOS raw 1-min data from 6/19.  They slipped a 99° in there. IIRC, the official temps (5min running means) were 95° at :50, 98° at :54, and 97° at :55. So there was a spike in there starting at :48. 

IMG_8227.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Nothing to write home about in terms of severe weather yesterday in Methuen, but there were some gusty winds and this area looked to be near the rainfall jackpot, as there was training for several hours last evening in this area.

we were on the western end of that ... looked like lag-back anvil deposition after an initial small cell on the MCS outflow developed and dumped .25" very fast. But that trailing blob carried on for a couple hours and gave us to .6" or so total.

Needed.  

• Like 1