Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
June 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

26 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

12z NAM might be the slowest with the front yet 

yeah, I was just looking at that obsessive drilling of the front thing - why are the models doing that?   It's not just the NAM...  The global's had been arriving the boundary way ahead of any mid level support as well.  

Yet, looking at WPC's sfc analysis, there is a front aligned roughly the ST L seaway to DTX.  It's both stationary and attempting to advect in segments

image.png.2e49570d21a92231459970379819bb56.png

- so albeit slow it is there.  

I think physically the boundary should limp and probably lose identity, until the deep layer mechanics improve but we'll see. 

I mean you look at this and the last thing that leaps to mind is a front even where it is - however closer inspection... if you look closely N of Lake Superior you see a subtle confluent structure to the isohypses. I think the models have been playing that featuring up a bit. There does seem to be a subtle tendency to back off as get closer... so we'll see

image.png.200f92bd28c74955f343ce25d6360e4c.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

No. And No.

I like summer heat but heat index > 100 is you just want to stay inside or in the pool. Everything else is off limits. 

Heat index 110 is just brutal. You hunker down inside. 

Yesterday was first time I felt shortness of breath at times just on short walks and even on the motorcycle. You could absolutely feel the lower oxygen content in the air. None of this is enjoyable.

Fair enough. As much as I really do love the heat/humidity there is certainly a limit to where it becomes unbearable. 

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Fair enough. As much as I really do love the heat/humidity there is certainly a limit to where it becomes unbearable. 

It honestly limits your range of activities as much as the worst weather in winter. 

The dogs are just as unhappy.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah, I was just looking at that obsessive drilling of the front thing - why are the models doing that?   It's not just the NAM...  The global's had been arriving the boundary way ahead of any mid level support as well.  

Yet, looking at WPC's sfc analysis, there is a front aligned roughly the ST L seaway to DTX.  It's both stationary and attempting to advect in segments

image.png.2e49570d21a92231459970379819bb56.png

- so albeit slow it is there.  

I think physically the boundary should limp and probably lose identity, until the deep layer mechanics improve but we'll see. 

I mean you look at this and the last thing that leaps to mind is a front even where it is -

image.png.200f92bd28c74955f343ce25d6360e4c.png

Agreed! Perhaps what we are seeing in more recent modeling is exactly this. 

7 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

It honestly limits your range of activities as much as the worst weather in winter. 

The dogs are just as unhappy.

Our dog was super upset yesterday because we couldn't go outside to play. I didn't want to risk it at all. One day last year we were outside playing and it wasn't even a hot or humid day. He just ran towards the door, kind of stumbled inside, and became disoriented for a bit. It scared the heck out of me. 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Hydrangeas about to explode with teal blue flowers. Hundreds of them after last year's 3 or 4. Amazing difference.

Same with ours-- from few last year to riotous blue this.

23 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

No. And No.

I like summer heat but heat index > 100 is you just want to stay inside or in the pool. Everything else is off limits. 

Heat index 110 is just brutal. You hunker down inside. 

Yesterday was first time I felt shortness of breath at times just on short walks and even on the motorcycle. You could absolutely feel the lower oxygen content in the air. None of this is enjoyable.

This! How anyone can actually like this crap is beyond me.. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

This! How anyone can actually like this crap is beyond me.. 

I don't get how you can do this from May through October with no break like Florida.. A few days of high heat is enjoyable if you have affective cooling and a pool, if not it's miserable, not to mention working outdoors... 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

I don't get how you can do this from May through October with no break like Florida.. A few days of high heat is enjoyable if you have affective cooling and a pool, if not it's miserable, not to mention working outdoors... 

Every person that I knew who moved to the south moved back to New England because of the unrelenting heat and humidity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Every person that I knew who moved to the south moved back to New England because of the unrelenting heat and humidity.

They'll move south again because it's November, 6 months of the year now.

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

They'll move south again because it's November, 6 months of the year now.

Fewer and fewer people are doing that...I know people who did that at one time but they no longer do so. A lot of it has to do with the political climate in the south.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

..ok pick the next topic .. temp?..dews? heat index?...

If we can talk about those three without complaining then I won’t have to complain about the complaining. :weenie: 

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Celtics?

Banter but honestly, I’m still sad about Willie Mays’ passing. What a life well lived. I’m looking forward to the game tonight at Rickwood Field. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Essense of why I post infrequently between April and August.

I don’t mean this as a negative statement, but it’s mostly monotony year round. Not surprising on a random June morning the conversation isn’t about the intricacies of 850mb temperature advection. Riveting conversation there too. :lol: 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

This cirrus moving through might limit max temps here in C/E Mass?

it will .. but, they are moving along and the sky is cleaner over western MA, eastern NY so it's not likely to limit substantially enough to tell much of a difference.