• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

I have a friend in town with 4 kids and his backyard is backed by woods. He’s a cheap ass and believes in letting nature do it’s thing. Well, his 8yr old daughter was having a skin issue in May. These giant red circles began showing up all over her body. They took her to the ER and sure enough, a tick born disease. 

Nature will eat you alive if you allow it…

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

There are plenty of other insects around because the mixture is predominantly cedar oil based, eco friendly. But regardless, my kids and dogs health is more important than any insect species. 

I was thinking of getting a half dozen  Mantis' and putting in my yard..but I'm not sure if they would actually stay put or just fly off

9 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I have a friend in town with 4 kids and his backyard is backed by woods. He’s a cheap ass and believes in letting nature do it’s thing. Well, his 8yr old daughter was having a skin issue in May. These giant red circles began showing up all over her body. They took her to the ER and sure enough, a tick born disease. 

Nature will eat you alive if you allow it…

That's pretty idiotic though. if you aren't going to take any action (plenty of lesser toxic options available anyway)..then you need to be vigilant about checking for them daily. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah we've been talking about this for over a week now...   I guess we need to see a tweet to be impressed with it?   LOL

It is interesting to me though, how we can cover a phenomenon until the dead horse wasn't just beaten but vaporized, ...then the tweet rebroadcasting kicks in like its this awesome thing.  haha.

Anyway, there is a pretty significant seesaw in the Pacific mid latitude circulation mode that's above normal confidence. Above normal because every ensemble system there is not only spatially represent the change, but this is also reflect in the numerical teleconnections.

Negative height anomalies N-NE of Hawaii are replaced with positive heights through that region. That heralds mode change +PNA to -PNA. 

Now... those with a modicum awareness in this field might proffer that the PNA becomes less correlative as we get on with the warm season, and they'd be correct.  However, if the shoe fits ... It's not a "0" correlation either.  The data is overwhelming when its every source.

The operational runs have been variable about what to do with it.  Generally display above normal temperatures, but they haven't really pulled the trigger on a big dawg dome.  The above symphony songs like its possible, but ...a more tepid result would also fit inside that scaffolding - an ending statement I am sure the KFS model will take to heart and resonate with fully.

• Weenie 1

Cedarwood oil is extremely effective and also safe for pollinators. I spray my yard with a product called wondercide weekly and I never find ticks on my dog when he's in the treated yard.

Pleasant-Smelling Wood Oil Not So Pleasant for Biting Ticks, Other Pests

https://www.ars.usda.gov/news-events/news/research-news/2022/pleasant-smelling-wood-oil-not-so-pleasant-for-biting-ticks-other-pests/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know 2 people in CT that were bitten by a lone star tick and have alpha-gal syndrome and can no longer eat red meat. 

Meat Allergy Cases Linked To Tick Bites Growing In Connecticut: CDC

One county in Connecticut may have higher rates of the tick-borne meat allergy, according to two new CDC studies.

https://patch.com/connecticut/across-ct/meat-allergy-cases-linked-tick-bites-growing-connecticut-cdc

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

We definitely have a thunderstorm issue. They avoid this area.

They're pretty good at dodging our immediate area, except for a few at odd times.  The March 2021 strike that blew up a fir tree 55 yards from the house came with temps in the low 40s, as did the crackling TS last Feb 10, the first one with strikes closer than 2 miles since that tree killer.
Annual average days with thunder is 15, and declining.  Since 2017 no years have topped 13.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

I know 2 people in CT that were bitten by a lone star tick and have alpha-gal syndrome and can no longer eat red meat. 

Meat Allergy Cases Linked To Tick Bites Growing In Connecticut: CDC

One county in Connecticut may have higher rates of the tick-borne meat allergy, according to two new CDC studies.

https://patch.com/connecticut/across-ct/meat-allergy-cases-linked-tick-bites-growing-connecticut-cdc

In my line of work it's unavoidable. I've had lyme three times. Catch it early and doxicillin the next day you're right as rain. 

If you ever catch Anaplasmosis however don't mess around. Had it once when it was pretty much unknown in New England.  Drove myself to the hospital about 2 miles away and got lost. I was burning up. 106° temperature. They admitted me right away. My blood counts were unreal. 

What was kind of cool though was I found out the CDC really does its job. They called me right away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

In my line of work it's unavoidable. I've had lyme three times. Catch it early and doxicillin the next day you're right as rain. 

If you ever catch Anaplasmosis however don't mess around. Had it once when it was pretty much unknown in New England.  Drove myself to the hospital about 2 miles away and got lost. I was burning up. 106° temperature. They admitted me right away. My blood counts were unreal. 

What was kind of cool though was I found out the CDC really does its job. They called me right away.

After escaping the evil effects of many hundreds of deer (black-legged) ticks in my forestry job, I contracted anaplasmosis a year after I retired.  Little beast likely hooked on while I was hunting on Veteran's Day 2022 and found a home in a well-concealed private place.  A week later I began to feel crummy and by 11/22 had trouble walking and some vision issues.  Wife thought I'd had a stroke and called 911.  At the ER she spotted another such critter on my back, offering a clue, and next day I got the doxy Rx.  By Thanksgiving (11/24) the symptoms were pretty much gone.
Later I was told by one who had suffered both Lyme and anaplas that the latter was worse by far.

• Like 1

I suppose I’d be much more engaged and would probably spray my backyard if I had kids, but I try not to disturb nature more than necessary. The front lawn gets cut of course, but I don’t use any chemicals. It was a mess when I bought the house and I manually turned over the lawn/removed weeds. 

Backyard is a constant battle and it’s not even a large plot. I have 9 trees on it, and the hilly “terrain” turns the bottom open portion of it into a bog at times. But the grass is always…and I mean always growing. I’ve been out of town and whenever I return it’s possible some of the grasses will be 4+ ft high. It’s nuts. I’d like to convert that to a large pollinator garden. Just have to find the time. 

For whatever reason I’ve always been extra careful about ticks. I only do yard work in long pants and socks, I check myself whenever I finish, and shower/scrub as immediately as I can after coming in. It’s worked so far *knocks wood*

• Like 2

On 6/7/2024 at 6:20 AM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Dry heat at least. I prefer those than our 90/75 days here. 

Trust me you wouldn’t.  I was at my grandson’s graduation about 50 miles east of SFO Wednesday.  101 and they sat us in full sun for hours.   My son was running up to the one refreshment truck for water and ice for his mother and me-both in our mid and late 70s and clearly the oldest people there.  It was brutal.  I’ll take the dews and at least have a better shot of not croaking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, BrianW said:

Cedarwood oil is extremely effective and also safe for pollinators. I spray my yard with a product called wondercide weekly and I never find ticks on my dog when he's in the treated yard.

Pleasant-Smelling Wood Oil Not So Pleasant for Biting Ticks, Other Pests

https://www.ars.usda.gov/news-events/news/research-news/2022/pleasant-smelling-wood-oil-not-so-pleasant-for-biting-ticks-other-pests/

Cedarwood oil kills a ton of insects good and annoying.

idk. Whatever helps you guys sleep at night. Just check for ticks. It isn’t that hard.

Let’s kill everything that annoys us. Humans suck. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 1

You just check for ticks, how hard is it? Teach your kids to check for ticks. You spray, you get complacent, nevermind killing all the bugs. By all means, take the easy way out but don't come crying when your kids get ticks anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1