Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

53 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

I think it’s a big shedding event. Seeing it all over southern Maine and eastern New Hampshire. It’s too widespread and sudden to be pest related imo. If it’s needlecast that’s a big deal given how widespread. Most trees will recover 

It seems to have happened in Western MA the past two years but not as noticeable this year.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kdxken said:

Seeing this quite a bit on smallish pines ( 5 to 10 in in diameter) . Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

All mine are doing it as well. Maybe just cyclical? Did it a couple years ago as well. 

All our ashes are dying though. Lots of big ones along the streets succumbing rather quickly. Sad. Another species lost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

BLD is decimating the beech's here.

All the beach trees here are either completely dead and the small ones just have leaves that come out then turn brown and die. 

Screenshot_20240605_102534_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1e61f14a59d28e5fc953e201c4d0bffe.jpg

Same here in the forest behind my house.  European and American Beach trees are in very poor shape.  I do have one Copper Beach in the yard that does not seem to be affected by the BLD, but has had some kind of white fungus on the leaves the past two seasons.

Wondering how this will affect the mushroom growth this year as all the dead oaks and dead or missing Beach leaves are letting a ton of extra sunlight down to the forest floor.  Will the extra light reduce the humidity under the canopy and reduce the amount of mushrooms we get?  I guess we'll see.

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Looks like another year my friend and I will get zilch to chase. We've been doing the last week of May and first week of June since 2009 but starting last year we moved it to the first two weeks of June. Hoping for at least some thunder tomorrow. May have stuff over the weekend. At this point just looking for storms, severe isn't happening. 

Obviously easier said than done, but put away $50 a paycheck and chase in the Plains next year.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Obviously easier said than done, but put away $50 a paycheck and chase in the Plains next year.

I know you mean well here but unfortunately it won't work.  I've tried and tried and tried to penetrate that mind with this and other bits of methodology, as well the general frivolity of attempting to do so anywhere E of the Hudson ... It can't be done.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Kidding aside, there's some suggestion there.   "Increasingly concerned," that may actually be a little too strong for current indicators, but this/may be yet evolving.  There is rising NAO (of uncertain ending magnitude) with falling PNA ( also with uncertain destiny), both occurring on the aft side of +PNA that has a much higher confidence of collapsing to at least neutral  That's close to the leading signal for a warming ejection E over the eastern mid latitude continent.

In concept, the antecedent +PNA traps Sonora-NM-AZ-SW TX region under a sun that by virtue of those environment(s) the air mass is very highly proficient in energy absorption.  Plus, the regional sigma ( elevation in pressure coordinates) places that air mass at a particularly useful altitude for mixing with the lower thickness during diurnal expansion once that air mass is displaced and/or expanse E (evil foreshadow).  That's the prep work...  but then... as the mode of the +PNA relaxes, releases the trap ...and synoptically ejects that highly kinetically charged air mass out of the SW. 

If/when the circulation mode of the +PNA --> -PNA is well-expressed ( the non-hydrostatic heights balloons over the eastern middle latitude continent), as said kinetically charge air mass is injected into it.  The higher non-hydrostratic heights, being symptomatic of DVM at mid levels, lower clouds and adds a compressional aspect ... high solstice or near equivalent high insolation... this is produced extremes of temperature ( + ).   

Lately across the globe, where there are other recognizable heat transport routes ( for example, the Saharan air layer injection over the Gibraltar straight/western Mediterranean gets caught up in a western European mid and u/a ridge expansion.  That is how the British Isles down to France and Spain can cook ), these have been over performing.  Modeling may signal a much above normal few days of temperature, but what results is both longer in duration, but maximizing above the guidance suggestion.   These so called 'synergistic heat waves'  ( papered ) are recognizably increasing in frequency.  There have been heat waves across the U.S. every year ... but 1995 and 2012 are rank-able among these types.   

We have not experienced this here in New England since perhaps 1975 on a single day, but given to the shortness of duration as provided by a brief/transient synoptic circumstance, it seems that was a 'spike' outlier that may not fit. 

This is awesome. 

2 hours ago, NoCORH4L said:

All mine are doing it as well. Maybe just cyclical? Did it a couple years ago as well. 

All our ashes are dying though. Lots of big ones along the streets succumbing rather quickly. Sad. Another species lost.

I have two large ashes dead, I'd like to cut them down and use as firewood this year. Already dry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoCORH4L said:

Biocontrol showing signs of protection against EAB in second growth ash stands in the Midwest. There are also many pockets of ash in very remote locations in Maine that stand a chance. I have been injecting my ash shade trees and will continue to do so. Sad thing is ash is a huge part of creation story for eastern Algonquin tribes like wabanaki. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 5:39 PM, rclab said:

Our only option may be to go commando. Stay loose and mind the back door, as always…

True story.  I packed exceedingly light-all in my backpack plus laptop for a 36 hour stay.  Unfortunately I am a pair of undies short.  4 options:

1.  Wash a pair in the hotel sink-but will they dry in time?

2.  Commando.   Too much could go wrong..lol.

3.  Make an emergency purchase but time is short…

4.  The winner is wash a pair in my son’s family washer but it didn’t occur to me until I woke this morning.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

I think Kens drooling over that great firewood you have:lol:

I still have plenty. And my beeches are dying as well. Like somebody else posted The copper beach still looks great. Weird that just a little different DNA wards off The disease.

59 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Really  68 dp?

i mean, my sensor is not sited per NWS specifications, but it's not located over a pond, either. so yeah, DP is somewhere in the mid to upper 60's