Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

15 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

I don't think CT has much for putting in AC.  The solar people however are ruthless with their door to door thing--I think there's a rebate for that however.

We met with a mini-split dealer/ installer last night.  There was a rebate of around $700 but only if we did the heat/ac heat pump combo.  This was for a single, 1 ton condenser, and single head, so I don't know if the rebate increases proportionately somehow with an increase in unit size.   The cost to purchase  and install this single unit was silly.  He wanted 8.5 k for the a.c. only unit, and 10.5 for the ac/ heat unit.   12k/1 ton for a single floor of a very small house.  

38 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

We met with a mini-split dealer/ installer last night.  There was a rebate of around $700 but only if we did the heat/ac heat pump combo.  This was for a single, 1 ton condenser, and single head, so I don't know if the rebate increases proportionately somehow with an increase in unit size.   The cost to purchase  and install this single unit was silly.  He wanted 8.5 k for the a.c. only unit, and 10.5 for the ac/ heat unit.   12k/1 ton for a single floor of a very small house.  

Silly.  The prices of anything home improvement related are just ridiculous right now but people aren't selling so they are staying put and improving so demand is up on home improvement materials etc.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Can you buy a 28000 btu a/c and install into the wall to cool the whole house if it is a single floor?  Can probably do that all with the unit for $1500.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

I've been asking people that have them when I go to appraise their house and that's in line with what I've been hearing.

3 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Nice morning.

WRT to the mini-splits, I have them in both Westborough and Maine.  They're more effective at cooling than heating.  I'm not certain about this, but I think that's due to where they need to be placed--high on the wall.  When cooling obivuosly the cool air wafts down toward the floor.  when you're trying to warm the space, it tends the warmth has to work it's way down to where you're standing/sitting..

They're still a good solution, but know that the cooling is more effective.

We bought ours specifically for cooling.  In its 3 years, we've never used it for heat.  Of course, the only wall big enough to mount the critter is about 10 feet from the Jotul.  :o

Backup is oil-fired hot water baseboard, also our domestic hot water, but wood is the main fuel.  Typical winter we burn about 5 cords; probably a bit more this coming winter as we'll run a cord-plus of basswood thru the stove, from the big tree we paid to have dropped, since it had internal defect and a strong lean toward the house.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, tamarack said:

We bought ours specifically for cooling.  In its 3 years, we've never used it for heat.  Of course, the only wall big enough to mount the critter is about 10 feet from the Jotul.  :o

Backup is oil-fired hot water baseboard, also our domestic hot water, but wood is the main fuel.  Typical winter we burn about 5 cords; probably a bit more this coming winter as we'll run a cord-plus of basswood thru the stove, from the big tree we paid to have dropped, since it had internal defect and a strong lean toward the house.

I'm hoping the small volumetric scale of this house will assist the application and use-case ... not noticing much bias when cooling vs heating. 

I'm going to leave the baseboard resister heat installed this first winter coming up here and we'll see.  This house heats up and cools down very quickly, probably owing to said scale.

3 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

Try home depot.  I got a 36K BTU total unit (carrier) with 2 heads installed for $10K, and it does the whole 2K square feet of my house, heat and cooling.  HD had the best warranty.

The independent contractor I spoke to quoted $19K which was a BS quote soon as he opened his mouth.  Also that quote was for 3 heads, which I knew I did not need.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Nice morning.

WRT to the mini-splits, I have them in both Westborough and Maine.  They're more effective at cooling than heating.  I'm not certain about this, but I think that's due to where they need to be placed--high on the wall.  When cooling obivuosly the cool air wafts down toward the floor.  when you're trying to warm the space, it tends the warmth has to work it's way down to where you're standing/sitting..

They're still a good solution, but know that the cooling is more effective.

Agree somewhat on this.  They don't seem too efficient when it's below 32 outside and they will kick on and off in search of heat.  Cooling seems to work well up into the 90s and the dehumidify capability is out of this world which was a big plus.

19 minutes ago, kdxken said:

This is ridiculous. With climate change these critters are going to become a problem. Pretty soon we'll be housing back widows, tarantulas, brown recluses, and those massive Australian dinner plate sized spiders. 

What does climate change have to do with this? Well these spiders that get brought here will be able to live in our ever warming climate. 

It's going to get ugly with these bugs. 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

5 hours ago, tamarack said:

Seeing this quite a bit on smallish pines ( 5 to 10 in in diameter) . Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

20240531_103809.jpg

20240604_120541.jpg

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

This is ridiculous. With climate change these critters are going to become a problem. Pretty soon we'll be housing back widows, tarantulas, brown recluses, and those massive Australian dinner plate sized spiders. 

What does climate change have to do with this? Well these spiders that get brought here will be able to live in our ever warming climate. 

It's going to get ugly with these bugs. 

Would you take the bugs if it meant more severe storms here?

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Seeing this quite a bit on smallish pines ( 5 to 10 in in diameter) . Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

20240531_103809.jpg

20240604_120541.jpg

something that bores into the trunk of the tree killed the pine trees in my yard

• Sad 1

man... an average month might make us all rage in frigid declaration. 

May finished + 4 at ORH and + 5 at HFD.

Who'd a thunk.   It's probably my own issue but for some reason, these don't feel like warm months to me.  what the f is wrong with me

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

man... an average month made make us all rage in frigid declaration. 

Who'd a thunk.   It's probably my own issue but for some reason, these don't feel like warm months to me.  what the f is wrong with me

If that’s a question. ….. nothing. If that a statement, ….. you’re in good company. Stay well, as always …….

18 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

man... an average month might make us all rage in frigid declaration. 

I don’t think people know what it’ll feel like if we actually get a -3 type month.  Ice age stuff.

And these are on the recent normals too, the 1980-2010 set would be even more.

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

20240531_103809.jpg

20240604_120541.jpg

Might be white pine blister rust, though the lower pic looks odd, with browning branches all around below a green top.

• Thanks 1