Total Members
    Most Online
    pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
June 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Why not invest or at least at minimum, inquire/investigate Mini split technology?

You're a Republican, right?  Which risking the assumption for a moment, doesn't that also mean you are inherently interested in both the acquisition of, but most importantly the retention of your personal wealth?  This becomes simple arithmetic - and obvious - at this point:  Mini splits will cool your home for a significant fraction of the cost that is required to run those window machines. 

Or perhaps you already have Mini's and your just yanking chains? 

Yes sir . We Trump we win 

I priced out minis last year and just too much $16-24 K based on what we need for the house. Central air was more. Also had new driveway done and half new lawn, trees taken down, 1 at Uconn , 1 heading there this fall. Only can do so much each year 

• Like 7
  • Confused 4
  • Weenie 3

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It actually makes the best sense for return on investment for this little abode.

This is probably the way I'm going to go too.  I have baseboard hot water so it wouldn't make sense to install ductwork etc.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I priced out minis last year and just too much $16-24 K based on what we need for the house. Central air was more. Also had new driveway done and half new lawn, trees taken down, 1 at Uconn , 1 heading there this fall. Only can do so much each year 

I bet you in the long run you'd still pay less money to electric - plus, you'll get a bigger return on the value of the home if/when you upgrade. That's a big consideration. 

Up to you.  But you also benefit from noise and vibration reduction ..so there's other intangibles. 

Also, there are big rebate programs that may not have been in place last year.    Not sure if it state mandated?  might be.  But here we get 10K ...so that's half that amt you just cited above, making an ~ 20,000 for your home more like 10 if the rebates are national.  worth looking into.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

What a 3 day stretch

image.jpeg

Today surprised me... I really was not visualizing this at all.  I had more emphasis on a morning BD, with perhaps strata shreds and the vague aromatic sea to the air ... 62 laboring to 73 type thing.

This?

same sky here.  Hot blue.  It's 86 at max and currently bouncing between that and 84 with very little wind movement.  Luckily, the DPs are out of Kevin's comfort zone. 

There is some cooling to the ENE breeze boundary currently moving W through eastern MA but it's not big.  ASH is on the sea side of that thing and are still 84

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We are thinking about it because in MA the rebates and tax incentives are nuts.  Because I've only had part-time work since 2021 we qualify for over 10k in incentives. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We are thinking about it because in MA the rebates and tax incentives are nuts.  Because I've only had part-time work since 2021 we qualify for over 10k in incentives. 

I don't think CT has much for putting in AC.  The solar people however are ruthless with their door to door thing--I think there's a rebate for that however.

26 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I don't think CT has much for putting in AC.  The solar people however are ruthless with their door to door thing--I think there's a rebate for that however.

Solar has a 30% Federal Income Tax Credit that is useable/can be rolled over through 2035 I believe (and then would get extended along with the program itself assuming it gets another life in some capacity). Additionally, states (in my case RI) offered rebates up to $5k off the top. Overall, about a 7 year ROI if you get a good market rate on the project - and that's just the breakeven on the electricity. The panels themselves have lifespans well beyond that, so it can certainly raise the home value in and of itself (nice to sell a several thousand dollar benefit to a prospective buyer).

6 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Front wheel...  It's not an EV or even hybrid.   But the car's tip top at 160K miles.  I've put ... maybe 1200 or 1500 in it in routine maintenance, which went as far once as a caliper/break job which was my fault so not discrediting the car for that.  Mainly just new tires when needed, and I was buying low grade ones until I smartened up about that.  Those say 10,000miles but you really get maybe 5 before the Mass/state inspectors flag you for interior tread wear or some shit. Better off ponying up for the 30k (minimum mileage), and you'll get 4 or 5 years of inspections. 

So basically what I'm saying is that I've been very happy with my Toyota. It runs smooth, and handles great.  There are minor complaints, like some of the touch screen functionality of the console don't work anymore but I don't need that ...it's certainly not worth looking at new car for that.  Plus one of the back speakers can't handle base without buzzing.  Minor unremarkable inconveniences. 

That all said, I am interested in looking at Toyota for hybrid on my purchase.  The only trick is... I don't like buying new cars.  I prefer to purchase them about 30K with good car-fact heritage documented.  I'm not sure that's advisable with battery tech though. I'd go full EV but...I think there's a chance society will collapse and charging might become a problem when/if that dystopian projection takes place. heh. ( some truth to that... ).

The newest Camry is something I would actually consider after having SUVs for a while. AWD, amazing mileage (45mph), roomy, tons of tech. Bullet proof drivetrain.  
I’m still a few years away but seriously considering one. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The newest Camry is something I would actually consider after having SUVs for a while. AWD, amazing mileage (45mph), roomy, tons of tech. Bullet proof drivetrain.  
I’m still a few years away but seriously considering one. 

A good choice. I've never owned one but a good friend has had two. Both of them breezed to 200,000 mi. 

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Today surprised me... I really was not visualizing this at all.  I had more emphasis on a morning BD, with perhaps strata shreds and the vague aromatic sea to the air ... 62 laboring to 73 type thing.

This?

same sky here.  Hot blue.  It's 86 at max and currently bouncing between that and 84 with very little wind movement.  Luckily, the DPs are out of Kevin's comfort zone. 

There is some cooling to the ENE breeze boundary currently moving W through eastern MA but it's not big.  ASH is on the sea side of that thing and are still 84

You get way too hung up on doors. More often than not they are negligible.. especially interior 

31 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You get way too hung up on doors. More often than not they are negligible.. especially interior 

Unfortunately ... climatology is not created by Trump dynamics...

There is a dense list of empirical and objective realities that directly disprove your assessment there.  We've already had several this year that jammed your bs down your throat.

Stick to rallies, kid   ;)

• Haha 7

50 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Unfortunately ... climatology is not created by Trump dynamics...

There is a dense list of empirical and objective realities that directly disprove your assessment there.  We've already had several this year that jammed your bs down your throat.

Stick to rallies, kid   ;)

That’s all well and good.. but we’ve all seen you seem you get panties bunched and undies crunched inside crack for ver a back door that doesn’t do much of anything 10 miles away from coast. Today was a prime example. Doors today are definitely different than when we were growing up. They’ve lost their impetus. Instead of back dooring they get closed at the pass more often than not as we continue to morph to mid Atlantic Climo 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s all well and good.. but we’ve all seen you seem you get panties bunched and undies crunched inside crack for ver a back door that doesn’t do much of anything 10 miles away from coast. Today was a prime example. Doors today are definitely different than when we were growing up. They’ve lost their impetus. Instead of back dooring they get closed at the pass more often than not as we continue to morph to mid Atlantic Climo 

I wouldn’t try to assess Tolland Connecticut as having the same problem with back doors as say, Bedford Massachusetts because the two locations just do not have comparable experiences with regard to that phenomenon.  

I don’t think you should try to make that assessment from that location either because you would be incorrect.  

That said today’s back door never actually came down. There’s a difference between having a gradient wind be northeast across the area, vs a cold wind burst associated with the back door rolling under.  Where I am located in Ayer Massachusetts a Northeast wind is actually a land source and it was doing it under 850s that were plenty warm enough to keep us close to 80° under full sun, which is what happened

4 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

No such thing as a government rebate.  We all pay for it.  Like any other type of public sector spending.  Inflation, for sure, is the great equalizer...slapping us silly with a banner reading, "No free lunch!"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Our only option may be to go commando. Stay loose and mind the back door, as always…

• Haha 5

59/55 at 10pm.  Tonight looks like the “sharp temp drop in evening” time is over.  No more 30s to low 40s.

Last 6 days have been sunny high-diurnal days.  Great stretch but it’ll come to an end.  3 days with mins in the 30s and 3 low-40s.

Highs started in the upper 60s, with full sun, 6 days ago, only to end with highs in the mid-80s today.

Nice progression over the past week of high-grade weather, but it’s like being a frog in boiling water.  It just slowly sneaks upward over time.  The first few days of June averaging +2.5 despite the coolish mornings.

Nice morning.

WRT to the mini-splits, I have them in both Westborough and Maine.  They're more effective at cooling than heating.  I'm not certain about this, but I think that's due to where they need to be placed--high on the wall.  When cooling obivuosly the cool air wafts down toward the floor.  when you're trying to warm the space, it tends the warmth has to work it's way down to where you're standing/sitting..

They're still a good solution, but know that the cooling is more effective.

• Like 2

Wood heat plus mini splits plus heat pump hot water heater is the way. They’ve been doing that in Quebec for years since electricity is so cheap there. With the any income rebates in Maine plus the fed tax credit it’s a no brainer if you are looking to make a change from oil heat and window units. Maine has done over 300k installs since 2019. 

• Like 4