• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
May 16 - June 4, 2024 Severe Weather

Even the Outflow Boundary itself is packing a punch. This is back out to the west in Abilene...

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service San Angelo TX
847 AM CDT Tue May 28 2024

TXZ054-066-113-127-128-139-281445-
Runnels TX-Callahan TX-Nolan TX-Coleman TX-Jones TX-Taylor TX-
847 AM CDT Tue May 28 2024

...STRONG WINDS WILL IMPACT SOUTHERN CALLAHAN...SOUTHWESTERN
JONES...NORTHERN COLEMAN...NORTHEASTERN NOLAN...TAYLOR AND
NORTHEASTERN RUNNELS COUNTIES THROUGH 945 AM CDT...

At 846 AM CDT, Doppler radar was tracking an outflow boundary with
strong winds up to 50 mph near Potosi.

HAZARD...Wind gusts up to 50 mph.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Gusty winds could knock down tree limbs and blow around
         unsecured objects.

This strong thunderstorm will be near...
  Potosi around 850 AM CDT.
  Tuscola around 915 AM CDT.
  Abilene around 905 AM CDT.

Other locations impacted by this storm include Impact, Lake Abilene,
Camp Tonkawa, Echo, Lake Sweetwater, Lake Coleman, Ovalo, Hodges,
Goldsboro, Buffalo Gap and Camp Butman.

This includes Interstate 20 between Mile Markers 256 and 293.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

If outdoors, consider seeking shelter inside a building.

&&

LAT...LON 3167 9920 3239 10041 3264 9994 3217 9920
TIME...MOT...LOC 1346Z 055DEG 14KT 3233 9962

MAX HAIL SIZE...0.00 IN
MAX WIND GUST...50 MPH

$$

SK

1 hour ago, Quincy said:

I know it’s early, but this whole complex could grow upscale and impact the greater Houston area later on…

Knowing well over the years how MCS activity goes this time of year in TX, that’s bound to happen as it very rarely fails around Houston, especially. But the same (concerning impacts) could be said for a large part of the state later today.

Though especially now with daytime heating coming into the mix (aside from adequate CAPE & shear). And the H5 subtropical High is moving further west away from TX as I got an almost due-northerly 500Mb flow now on 12z (BRO & CRP) UA sounding data here in STX this morning.

Just doing a cursory comparison...

What's impressive about today's event vs June 2019 is the latter happened during peak heating after a day with plentiful morning sunshine (when the temp/dewpoint spread was much wider, thus in theory would have enhanced the downdraft strength), whereas today's event happened at diurnal minimum.

Also, I'm pretty certain the coverage of severe wind in June 2019 was more widespread throghout the Metroplex in June 2019, even if the peak rainfall/wind intensity was somewhat less impressive. Today's event was mostly concentrated in the NE half of DFW (granted, still a ton of people impacted).

8 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Outflow boundary's made it all the way down to Austin and will be pushing westward through San Angelo shortly.

In fact, it has prompted a Hgh Wind Warning for the San Angelo area.

Also starting to see some reintensification / redevelopment of storms down around Austin / College Station as the enhanced low level convergence erodes what little capping was in place. Will have to watch and see if it intensifies into a severe QLCS for Houston.

38 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Outflow boundary's made it all the way down to Austin and will be pushing westward through San Angelo shortly.

In fact, it has prompted a Hgh Wind Warning for the San Angelo area.

It hit Abeline before I left there this morning. Guessing we had gusts up around 40-50 mph

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chinook said:

is Pettit in here?

4 point 5 inch hail.jpg

Yes, the hail core went right through Pettit, which is a near ghost town about 7 miles NE of Whiteface. I went back up there and saw tennis to baseball sized hail all over the ground. Granted, it had about 45 minutes to melt…

By the way, the picture I took was from an earlier supercell. The second one was a direct hit. A third one also grazed the area, but it was noticeably weaker. That area really got pounded. Lots of flash flooding due to heavy rain and hailmelt. 

Marathon, TX got smacked by the hail core. It looks like large amounts of small to marginally severe hail fell. There were several inches accumulated in town:

It looks like a notable MCS may plow through parts of Oklahoma and Texas tomorrow, with additional supercell development possible to the west, on the High Plains. 

• Like 2

First round is sub-severe, but has turned into a heavy rain threat for the NE. DFW suburbs, with a flash flood warning in effect for portions of Collin / Denton County.

Will have to watch the evolution of that 2nd line of storms to the SW of Wichita Fallas for this afternoon though, for severe activity. 

EDIT: And now a Flood Warning as well for Dallas County.

Another estimated 3-4" of rain fell with the most recent round of storms part of DFW, with more storms moving in shortly.

I suppose flooding is better than a repeat of Tuesday morning, if a poison had to be picked.

Yesterday featured a hail storm around parts of Denver and a tornado in Midland, TX. 

I extended the thread through June 4th, as the active pattern looks to continue for a few more days, before a ridge builds in the West. That will probably mean a relative lull in severe action for a while, aside from local mesoscale events. 

• Like 1