• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
Aurora Alert

baltosquid

I'm a bit obsessed seeing all these pics since May so booked a 6 night trip to Tromso Norway over Christmas.  I figured this is the year.  Family would prefer skiing in the alps or beach somewhere lol. Being the only who wants to plan a vacation has its perks

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Another X-class flare. But this one looks (at least preliminarily) to be more impulsive. Probably a lower chance of a CME with this one. But who knows. The existing CME from yesterday is still coming. 

Dumb question here...how long does the CME take to get from the Sun to Earth?

Just now, toolsheds said:

Dumb question here...how long does the CME take to get from the Sun to Earth?

Got my answer --> The fastest Earth-directed CMEs can reach our planet in as little as 15-18 hours. Slower CMEs can take several days to arrive. They expand in size as they propagate away from the Sun and larger CMEs can reach a size comprising nearly a quarter of the space between Earth and the Sun by the time it reaches our planet.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Tomorrow and Friday nights I think 

Tomorrow night seems like the best shot. Think that by Friday night the storm will have subsided unless more activity erupts. Space weather is so fickle, though. 

Let's hope the storm onset and peak holds off until we are well after dark tomorrow evening. Would suck to waste daylight hours on Kp7-9 values. 

1 hour ago, Kmlwx said:

Another X-class flare. But this one looks (at least preliminarily) to be more impulsive. Probably a lower chance of a CME with this one. But who knows. The existing CME from yesterday is still coming. 

Could add to the main one though. We shall see! May 10th was all M flares stacked up.

11 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Could add to the main one though. We shall see! May 10th was all M flares stacked up.

Keeping an eye on imagery to see if there's any faint halo CME with the most recent impulsive flare. That sunspot bears continued watching! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

Let’s goooooo. I may actually try to stay awake to see if I can see them instead of falling asleep in my favorite chair by 9pm 

I would imagine that you and your fam are sitting very pretty in your location to see SOMETHING this evening...plz take pics if you do!

And yeah, I just told my office team about tonight's potential space wx...most of 'em responded the same way you did, e.g., sure I hope to be UP past 10 p.m.  :D 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I would imagine that you and your fam are sitting very pretty in your location to see SOMETHING this evening...plz take pics if you do!

And yeah, I just told my office team about tonight's potential space wx...most of 'em responded the same way you did, e.g., sure I hope to be UP past 10 p.m.  :D 

at 40 years old and a wake up time of 530am, I very rarely make it past 10pm these days hahaha. But gonna try tonight! 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, mappy said:

at 40 years old and a wake up time of 530am, I very rarely make it past 10pm these days hahaha. But gonna try tonight! 

Believe me, I get it. Mrs V and I...it's a GREAT night if we can stay awake until 10:30 to finish MAYBE a couple streaming sitcoms OR a SINGLE drama episode. We're pathetic.  :( 

But...I'm gonna set up my tripod in my severely light-polluted cul de sac later tonight and give it the old college try!  :)