Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
Aurora Alert

baltosquid

4 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yeah, my shot isn’t what I saw. I could tell that it was happening, but to the naked eye, it didn’t look like like the photo.

For me, it doesn’t take away from the event.

Yeah, totally. The pink glow was very noticeable even with tons of light pollution.  Unbelievable we saw that in Maryland. 

1 hour ago, Kmlwx said:

Well...keep in mind almost all of these photos are 1-4 second exposures. Modern smartphones automatically go into "night shot mode" unless you specify otherwise. Naked eye was of course much dimmer than the photos. 

I couldn't see a thing with the naked eye. And maybe iPhones only take a few seconds long shot...but I selected "Night Sight" mode on my Pixel, and because it was mounted on a tripod...waited a few seconds to go into "Astrophotography" mode, which take a 4-minute long shot...which is how (I believe) I captured the little bit of visible aurorae in the close-in NoVA burbs. With the city due north, it's damn near impossible here.

On 10/12/2024 at 9:33 PM, baltosquid said:

mvg6s7f_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=gr

Best photo of Thursday, during the 10pm substorm. Washed out in the city but was still very much naked eye visible though fainter. Only caught a bit of the 7:30 substorm which seems like it was the strongest but overall what a night!

So, this is similar (if even more muted than here) that I got last Thursday evening IMBY about 15 miles south of the District, with all of the light pollution of the city (mostly) ruining my pics. However, I feel like, with the extra townhomes, balconies, etc. appearing in your pics...yours are even more interesting. Thx for sharing.