Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
Aurora Alert

baltosquid

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Wow, great pics. I can’t see from the naked eye here but see some pink through my camera, but too much light pollution. Pics from family in NH and NY are pretty too. 

right after sunset we could see it with the naked eye (faintly) in Tenleytown/AU Park in DC.  Unreal.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Whatever allows the aurora to be here when it never was; what else gets “brought south” with it?

Thanks 

Good question. 

I'm paying extra attention to weather patterns this year. So far the difference is +NAO. We have had 8 +NAO periods this year, when it was a total of 3 in the last 4 years.  There was stuff published on this relationship prior to this year..  My intuition says more High pressure. 

Growing up this happened way farther north only 

My theory is social media vastly has increased awareness… plus phone camera exposure and night mode being so readily acceptable.

Think Aurora is probably visible from Shenandoah a dozen+ times a year during the years of solar maximum. Wouldn’t have known that in the past because no one tried… or if they did it wasn’t shared out.

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

My theory is social media vastly has increased awareness… plus phone camera exposure and night mode being so readily acceptable.

No!  It seems like people keep making this point about awareness being greater only recently. Record keeping was very good when I was growing up in the 1990s, and well before in the 1970s-80s. We have had access to satellites that are used very much by the public for a long time. 

No!  It seems like people keep making this point about awareness being greater only recently. Record keeping was very good when I was growing up in the 1990s, and well before in the 1970s-80s. We have had access to satellites that are used very much by the public for a long time. 

I think it’s more the cameras that have improved rather than the satellites. Everyone now carries a $1000 camera with them at all times. We’ve realized we don’t need G5s or K9 or whatevers to see Aurora in the mid-Atlantic.

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I think it’s more the cameras that have improved rather than the satellites. Everyone now carries a $1000 camera with them at all times. We’ve realized we don’t need G5s or K9 or whatevers to see Aurora in the mid-Atlantic.

News stations definitely would have reported Aura's several decades ago.