Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
NNE Warm Season Thread

mreaves

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I haven’t.  Not sure the northward extent of it.  Seemed like an axis from Underhill to Stowe to Worecester/Elmore/Wolcott.

6 minutes ago, Froude said:

Looks high but maybe not quite flood stage downstream here in Fairfax. Certainly nothing like the events last year.

Thanks.  I checked social media and didn't see anything either.  That trail is really growing popularity and the State did a great job repairing last year's damage.  Hopefully they can actually get it all open again by fall.

13 minutes ago, Froude said:

Looks high but maybe not quite flood stage downstream here in Fairfax. Certainly nothing like the events last year.

Yeah, luckily this was a bit more localized in a west to east manner than widespread north-south along the Spine.

Feel like most of the waterways in Stowe head towards the Winnoski instead of the Lamoille (from Moss Glens Falls and West Branches, Gold Brook, etc).

I think both sides of the Worcester Range took the brunt of it to be honest.

IMG_0041.jpeg.e3da295fd0de983dcb90e822cc697fb7.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, dmcginvt said:

Man 3rd 100 yr flood in a year coming tomorrow for N VT?  I got 8 inches in June and 4 inches tomorrow is gonna do a number.  

I hope you pull through unscathed… I made a post in the general discussion about it and Tip assuaged my fears somewhat. I am in no flood prone area like you, Powderfreak, Eaves, and a few others on here but man- this is a crazy time to be alive in VT…. no less the world.

I thought harder about my thought process and figured that some of the influence on it is that it is *SO ON THE NOSE* being 1 year pretty much to the day(s) of last years flooding. I am not alone- clearly. With that said, I am hoping that the flooding out in the narrow valleys of the beautiful state of VT is localized.

Regardless of what happens, it’s hard to deny that threats like this will keep coming with more regularity as our global climate changes. We, as Vermonters, have recovered on a large scale, twice, since I moved to VT from NY in 2004. I hope we can continue to weather these storms and offer each other help where it’s needed. 

We’re all in the same boat.

Best of luck tomorrow.

13 hours ago, dmcginvt said:

Man 3rd 100 yr flood in a year coming tomorrow for N VT?  I got 8 inches in June and 4 inches tomorrow is gonna do a number.  

In our region, the Sandy River reached 31,300 cfs on May 1st, only the 4th time it had passed 30k since 1929.  Then the Dec 18 storm brought it up to 42,700 cfs, 2nd only to the 51,100 of April 1987 and causing major flooding.  That latter storm had 4 hours of 50+ gusts, destroying about half of the mature fir on our 80-acre woodlot.  Not since Bob in 1991 had we experienced wind of that strength and duration, and the 101 hours without power (except that we had an on-demand genny :D) is the longest I've experienced since the 6-day blackout from the January 1953 ice storm in NNJ.

GYX has us in the 2-3" color, and given a bit of Stein this month, all should be well unless a 2"/one hour event is included.

• 4 weeks later...

To get a bit meta:

I generally lurk and sometimes contribute… but it’s like we ran out of steam (no pun intended?) on July 11th when we (at the least) here in VT and the greater NNE area woke up to *yet* another flooding event.

I just found it poignant, for me, that this thread seemingly went radio silent on the night of July 10th.

Hope everyone is doing OK!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, grambo said:

To get a bit meta:

I generally lurk and sometimes contribute… but it’s like we ran out of steam (no pun intended?) on July 11th when we (at the least) here in VT and the greater NNE area woke up to *yet* another flooding event.

I just found it poignant, for me, that this thread seemingly went radio silent on the night of July 10th.

Hope everyone is doing OK!

I look at forecasts and just wonder how much more we can take. Like PF said in a different thread, event though I enjoy weather and try to separate that from the actual impact but it’s getting harder and harder. I find it hard to ignore the “let’s wash away all the bridges in VT” type comments. Its too real and too close now. 

• Like 4

I’m right there with ya. It’s the real fuckin’ deal.

I don’t appreciate posts about people’s lives (literally or figuratively) being washed away/ potentially washed away, either. It’s like a comic making jokes about another mass shooting or something. It’s a type of humor that might be absurdly healing in some weird way after a one off tragedy (timing is everything, mind you). If the tragedy keeps happening… well… I’m at a loss for words and the jokes earn well deserved disdain on my end.

Nevertheless, hope we can find the strength to be there for each other.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2024 at 10:05 PM, grambo said:

I’m right there with ya. It’s the real fuckin’ deal.

I don’t appreciate posts about people’s lives (literally or figuratively) being washed away/ potentially washed away, either. It’s like a comic making jokes about another mass shooting or something. It’s a type of humor that might be absurdly healing in some weird way after a one off tragedy (timing is everything, mind you). If the tragedy keeps happening… well… I’m at a loss for words and the jokes earn well deserved disdain on my end.

Nevertheless, hope we can find the strength to be there for each other.

See… I do get the real life implications but I’ve also been on these weather forums for maybe 25 years… and the one constant is that people who like weather, meteorology, and exciting weather are the ones who find themselves on these forums.  Professional meteorologists love exciting weather.  Hobbyists love exciting weather.  They are going to cheer it on.

Rooting for tornados, severe weather, hurricanes, snowstorms, ice storms brutal heat and cold… it all affects people’s lives.  No one wishes it personally and in the moment, everyone on here wishes people are safe when the sh*t hits the fan.

We all joke leading up to events but even during the last flash flood, posters were asking if we were all ok and to stay safe.

I think back to about 15 years ago, my uncle was killed in an interstate crash in CT due to snowy/icy roads (I-395).  We all root for snowstorms and winter weather, but no one is rooting for the human element.  And I can’t not cheer for snow, because I love snowstorms, even knowing that it may cause fatal car crashes.

The intersection between our love of exciting weather and real world implications is always a tough subject to hash out.  But I truly believe no one here is actively rooting for human hardship, we just joke because sometimes there’s nothing else you can do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1