Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
Mountain West Discussion

22 hours ago, Newman said:

Saw some good Aurora up here in Wyoming last night

PXL_20240917_032626847.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.ed53d7a709c08e0e7e11c898b0b13100.jpg

That is just great. Inspiring. Sometimes I wonder what might cause the atoms to light up in the magenta (must be red plus blue) and then the green at lower levels.

Fort Collins cooled down to 47 this morning. Then it is right back to 84 right now, several degrees above average. It's almost as if the USA is in some sort of hot drought and repelling cold air.

On 9/18/2024 at 5:22 PM, Chinook said:

Fort Collins cooled down to 47 this morning. Then it is right back to 84 right now, several degrees above average. It's almost as if the USA is in some sort of hot drought and repelling cold air.

I've noticed this more and more over the last few Septembers- a thin layer of cool air reminds us what month it is when we get radiational cooling at night, but as soon as the sun rises it mixes right out and vanishes. The cooling gets more transient and the heat gets more persistent year over year. I don't think I've seen the Front Range views completely snow-free for this long and this late, maybe ever. 

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like almost every city in Arizona but Flagstaff broke their October record high in the past few days. It hit 113F in Phoenix and Yuma. Some record highs were set in California as well. San Jose managed to hit 106, breaking the old monthly record high by 5F.

On 10/6/2024 at 8:06 PM, lookingnorth said:

It looks like almost every city in Arizona but Flagstaff broke their October record high in the past few days. It hit 113F in Phoenix and Yuma. Some record highs were set in California as well. San Jose managed to hit 106, breaking the old monthly record high by 5F.

15 consecutive record highs at Phoenix and counting. 

18 hours ago, ValpoVike said:

Another crisp evening, with a celestial bonus. 

Fantastic! Could you see it with the naked eye or did you need binoculars to spot it?

We've had clouds to the west and southwest at sunset persistently over the last 3 days, not to mention smoke up against the foothills from the WY fires (I'm assuming).

2 hours ago, mayjawintastawm said:

Fantastic! Could you see it with the naked eye or did you need binoculars to spot it?

We've had clouds to the west and southwest at sunset persistently over the last 3 days, not to mention smoke up against the foothills from the WY fires (I'm assuming).

It was very visible to the naked eye. Yesterday it was at mag 1.5, and I believe this evening it will be 2.5.  For sure a bit dimmer this evening and there is a lot of smoke up here, so I don’t have my hopes up too much for a spectacular encore. 

• Like 1