• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Mountain West Discussion

32 minutes ago, Chinook said:

This is so nice. Maybe the temps are getting up to 50 there and melting snow fast?

Yes, summer started quickly and the 14er climbing season is off and running though plenty of snow in the shade still. Streams are full and cold! Too hot the next week though, several temps predicted >95 for Denver.

There is a severe watch for scattered thunderstorms. There is already one strengthening storm in Denver.

The NWS Storm Prediction Center has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Watch for portions of 
     Eastern Colorado

* Effective this Friday afternoon and evening from 210 PM until
     900 PM MDT.

* Primary threats include...
     Scattered damaging winds likely with isolated significant gusts
       to 80 mph possible
     Scattered large hail and isolated very large hail events to 2
       inches in diameter possible
     A tornado or two possible

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 230 PM MDT
FOR NORTH CENTRAL DOUGLAS...WESTERN ARAPAHOE...DENVER AND EAST
CENTRAL JEFFERSON COUNTIES...

At 207 PM MDT, a severe thunderstorm was located over Chatfield
Reservoir, or 12 miles southwest of Denver, moving northeast at 30
mph.

HAZARD...Quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

Snow fell as low as 4,000' southwest of Calgary earlier today. It has been very cold and unsettled up this way since Saturday, and I was over in Alberta on weekend, hail and thunder in locations now snow covered, and readings in 40s F all day. Not a lot better back at base, 53F and passing rain/hail showers. 

Forest fire potential is very low which is the one good thing about this recent spell. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 5:53 PM, Roger Smith said:

Snow fell as low as 4,000' southwest of Calgary earlier today. It has been very cold and unsettled up this way since Saturday, and I was over in Alberta on weekend, hail and thunder in locations now snow covered, and readings in 40s F all day. Not a lot better back at base, 53F and passing rain/hail showers. 

Forest fire potential is very low which is the one good thing about this recent spell. 

Coolish here too, low 70s today, but we may not see that again for a long time. Very dry too, the forecasted rain did not materialize. 0.11" rain in June so far and I'm worried we may end it that way.

Models are showing big ridging developing west of the Rocky Mountains with robust temperatures being forecasted for California's central valley. Should it play out like what models are showing it could be a historic heat wave.  

Denver is heading for its second warmest June on record, topped only by the insane summer of 2012 that had multiple 105 degree days. Super dry at our house too, only 0.13" rain unless we get some today. Will be interesting to see what different places do with fireworks since the moisture has been so variable around the region.

We have done a little better up here. It was dry until a week ago, and over the past week we have had daily .05” rains or so. The past two days have logged a quarter inch each. Not a ton, but better than it could have been. Temps have been quite seasonally average up here, likely tempered by 2pm’ish daily rains and cloud cover. 

I’m waiting for confirmation, but it appears that Las Vegas has set a new all-time record high today of at least 118 F! This would beat 117, which had been hit five times. Records go back to 1937. 

Models are calling for more very hot days much of the upcoming work-week.

With a RH of a mere 3%/dewpoint of 16, the LV heat index is “only” ~106.

The far-West heat has been quite bad. Needles, California, had a daily high temperature record of 122 recently, beating a value of 121. I have barely ever seen that kind of temperature in a populated area.

Sorry you guys had +5F for June, that is, 3 to 5.6 degrees above normal for June. Must have been rough. Actually I had my own 100 to deal with one day.

Looks like Las Vegas is 118 is right now, which apparently breaks the all-time record.

1-2" hail with supercells down by Pueblo and Colorado Springs right now

pueblo.jpg

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Chinook said:

The far-West heat has been quite bad. Needles, California, had a daily high temperature record of 122 recently, beating a value of 121. I have barely ever seen that kind of temperature in a populated area.

Sorry you guys had +5F for June, that is, 3 to 5.6 degrees above normal for June. Must have been rough. Actually I had my own 100 to deal with one day.

Looks like Las Vegas is 118 is right now, which apparently breaks the all-time record.

1-2" hail with supercells down by Pueblo and Colorado Springs right now

pueblo.jpg

LAS VEGAS FAIR 118 17 3 NW7G20 29.75F 6HR MIN TEMP: 107; 6HR MAX TEMP: 120

So, Las Vegas made it all of the way to 120! That beats their old all-time record high by 3!

https://kamala.cod.edu/nv/latest.asus45.REV.KREV.html

The big heat out west will make it's way east over the rocky mountain area later this week and weekend. Both Laramie and Cheyenne WY will approach their all time record highs of 94° and 100° respectively, we'll see if afternoon clouds inhibit any attempt at breaking these records

Today's record max of 134F at Death Valley is still listed on NWS climate report as a daily record (and all-time), but as mentioned, some doubt was raised about exposure or calibration of 1913 era reports, not saying it was a lot cooler since 131F recently is max more widely accepted. 

July 10 also one of Toronto's max days from July 1936 (105F on July 8, 9 and 10) in 184 years of records (103F in July 1911 is next warmest) ... NYC max is 106F on July 9, 1936. 

It is a stifling 101F at my location and 105F down in valley today. A weak cold front made it as far as Cascades but will not have a lot of impact east of Okanagan valley as cool air is quickly modified to near same temps as interior air mass. But a pleasant 75-80F around Vancouver BC today. 

LV was 117 at 3PM PDT. They’re going to be very close to 119-120 again. What an amazing heatwave!

Edit: Looks like 118 for the high. That makes 3 days hotter than the record high of 117 prior to 2024!

19 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Finally some rain. Only 0.4" but I'll take it and I won't admit being bitter that literally a mile away they're pushing a full inch.

Same here, where it is a bit frustrating to see decent QPF all around me.  Meanwhile I have been clocking a steady .05"/day for quite some time.  But even that I will take.

Sorry guys. The forest fire smoke has to happen some time. At least it's not a fire in Colorado. (Not that I know of.) In the next week, the NWS says there will be just some light rains above 6000ft with the monsoon moisture, so, drought values shouldn't change much for the positive.

Smoke on map over WA-OR-ID is from fires in those same states (several bad ones in Cascades of WA, Blues of OR), BC-AB smoke is drifting east and later south into high plains region. Despite living close to both sources, we have been in and out of smoke for days, AQI ranges from 50 to 200 as a result. A few raindrops witremnant cells over us at 1100h (18z) but no measurable rain, so now dry for 20 days locally. Cloud broke for afternoon and back up into mid 90s as a result. We are going to get some relief by Thursday here. Core of heat will then shift to central plains states. It was 107F on Sunday at Spokane WA breaking a record of 103F set in 1905. Today's high of 100F did not break record (103, 1938). Lows in 70s are unusual for region too.