• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
2024 Tropical Tracking Thread

WxWatcher007

Time limited image below but it’s clearly trying to reorganize as the eye is becoming more defined with a more symmetrical CDO. It has been extraordinarily resilient in the face of moderate shear present and dry air lurking. 

Perhaps some frictional convergence, missing the mountains of Jamaica, and over modeled shear helping right now. Even when the SFMR came down earlier, the winds above the deck were very strong. 

13546276.gif?0.7716800948109631

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

0z euro actually brought the remnants of Beryl pretty close to us as a defined low pressure area 

12z euro says Beryl busts the drought next week. 3-6” of rain for the area. Don’t hold your breath.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

0z euro and GGEM take what’s left of Beryl to our northwest next week, but pull in some moisture from it to give everyone rain and storms. GFS keeps the remnants south, but still maybe pulls in a little moisture.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is WxWatcher007 reporting live from Bay City, TX. 

The trip here took longer than anticipated, as I ran into hellacious storms just as my plane landed in Houston.

lrjXmGT.jpeg

Traveling from Houston to my destination was delayed as a result. I had to pull off the highway as water started flooding the road. 

Once I got here however, there was the eerie quiet that’s become all too familiar in my travels. 

The hospitality staff are hunkering down and are here with their families. Children play in the lobby as a local news broadcast describing the severe potential runs in the background.

At the local Walmart, the updated position and forecast for Beryl played over the sound system. Something I’ve never heard before. Folks here are paying attention, but not overly bothered. 

I am here for at least tonight—as I’m hedging east until I get a better sense of the final approach.

As you all know—I have no interest in documenting storm surge. My priority is getting into the most intense part of the storm safely away from water, and with rapid intensification possible I definitely want to be on the eastern side. Other potential locations include Port Lavaca (but a little concerned about surge given my staging location), Corpus Christi, and Edna, a small community due north of Port Lavaca. 

As usual, I’m in touch with @MillvilleWx in case I can’t post during the worst. I’ll provide updates when I can. 

Definitely want a successful chase (on my birthday weekend!) but it’s the first of what I think will be a few chases this season. This is my first Texas hurricane chase.

Wish us all luck down here.

OBKk1H9.jpeg

• Like 23

On 7/6/2024 at 6:35 AM, WxUSAF said:

0z euro and GGEM take what’s left of Beryl to our northwest next week, but pull in some moisture from it to give everyone rain and storms. GFS keeps the remnants south, but still maybe pulls in a little moisture.

Looks like a potential disturbance in the flow around the western side of the broad W Atlantic High combined with a frontal boundary associated with the remnant low moving eastward(possibly slowing/stalling) could set up an extended heavy rain threat for late week. Long way off and we know how this has gone lately.

gfs_z500_vort_eus_22.png

gfs_mslp_pwat_eus_20.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, CAPE said:

Looks like a potential disturbance in the flow around the western side of the broad W Atlantic High combined with a frontal boundary associated with the remnant low moving eastward(possibly slowing/stalling) could set up an extended heavy rain threat for late week. Long way off and we know how this has gone lately.

gfs_z500_vort_eus_22.png

gfs_mslp_pwat_eus_20.png

A direct hit from Beryl remnants would be a lot simpler. Much higher fail potential with the setup your post shows.

Just now, WxUSAF said:

A direct hit from Beryl remnants would be a lot simpler. Much higher fail potential with the setup your post shows.

A bit more convoluted but the other globals have the same general idea. With that broad HP there and a front in the vicinity, there should be an area of LL convergence with an impressive moisture feed. 

30 minutes ago, CAPE said:

A bit more convoluted but the other globals have the same general idea. With that broad HP there and a front in the vicinity, there should be an area of LL convergence with an impressive moisture feed. 

Yeah, I don't doubt that the setup is real, just that it seems to be a fairly narrow corridor of heavy rain and as 12z euro shows today, there could be a fairly tight gradient between quasi-drought buster and light showers.  

P.S.  Icon is the most friendly-to-everyone solution with the entire subform getting in on a healthy rain.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Yeah, I don't doubt that the setup is real, just that it seems to be a fairly narrow corridor of heavy rain and as 12z euro shows today, there could be a fairly tight gradient between quasi-drought buster and light showers.  

P.S.  Icon is the most friendly-to-everyone solution with the entire subform getting in on a healthy rain.  

There seems to be a slot of subsidence on the eastern flank of Beryl's remnants.  The ICON and GFS keep this sinking air back over Charleston, W.Va. giving Virginia a beneficial rain from a slug of Atlantic moisture.  I'm really concerned about the 12z EURO desire to put western Va. in this dry slot.

I'm anxiously awaiting the 12z AIFS.

17 minutes ago, stormy said:

There seems to be a slot of subsidence on the eastern flank of Beryl's remnants.  The ICON and GFS keep this sinking air back over Charleston, W.Va. giving Virginia a beneficial rain from a slug of Atlantic moisture.  I'm really concerned about the 12z EURO desire to put western Va. in this dry slot.

I'm anxiously awaiting the 12z AIFS.

Exactly what I am afraid of happening,  coastal and piedmont and west of the Apps rain . With sinking air east of the remnants of Beryl centered over the Valley...

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Jrlg1181 said:

Exactly what I am afraid of happening,  coastal and piedmont and west of the Apps rain . With sinking air east of the remnants of Beryl centered over the Valley...

The 12z AIFS is better than the deterministic Euro, giving our area an inch of rain by late Friday.