Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
2024 Tropical Tracking Thread

WxWatcher007

26 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Update on the evacuation. My parents left Palmerto FL at 12. They are currently 25 miles South of Gainesville. It has taken almost 8 hrs to go 140 miles. They need to get to Macon for their overnight stop. 

Hope they stay safe.

• Like 1

My in-laws are hunkering down in Bradenton - in evac zone B  :-(  They are in a house that's rated for Cat 3 at least, is boarded up and at 18' above sea level, they have multiple generators with lots of food and fuel.   So - fingers crossed and prayers for them.   It's going to be a wild ride.

• Like 2

Nice that it weakened some overnight.   Latest report shows it being flat though and maybe starting to strength.  145 mph winds earlier; now 150 mph.

Incredibly compact eye last night.   Saw at one point the eye was only 3.5 miles wide.

Mrs. J - hope your relatives made it to a good destination last night.

27 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Well I had no idea my post in the main tropical thread would be that popular lol. It’s nice to add value. :wub: 

Well, to be honest I didn't even realize there was a specific tropical thread!   I usually just follow the regional boards, which lead me to this thread.   Was wondering why it seemed so quiet here!   Thanks for pointing that out.

I got that tidbit about the eye size from an X post - I'm guessing it came indirectly from you.   LOL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Well I had no idea my post in the main tropical thread would be that popular lol. It’s nice to add value. :wub: 

Oh you do more than that--you are an anchor in that thread, my friend. And that post was uber informative and red tagger worthy :lol: (What's your background?)

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Oh you do more than that--you are an anchor in that thread, my friend. And that post was uber informative and red tagger worthy :lol: (What's your background?)

Thanks. Definitely not a met, just been studying tropical since I was a kid. Literally. :lol: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Back to a cat 5. Unreal. 

The fact that the potential peak from this thing was so high that the "weakening" last night from the EWRC meant it got down to "just" a high end 4 is dizzyingly insane! That's the threshold with this thing, and now it's intensifying again...as you said: unreal! I see LF predictions are at Cat 3 but I'm wondering about that...especially with what seems to be the tendency of every hurricane strengthening right into LF.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Are you sure using the NAM for a hurricane is a good idea? (I'm actually not sure but I never see the experts in the tropical thread use it for that).

NHC is calling for 18 inches locally:

RAINFALL: Rainfall amounts of 6 to 12 inches, with localized totals up to 18 inches, are expected across central to northern portions of the Florida Peninsula through Thursday. This rainfall brings the risk of catastrophic and life-threatening flash and urban flooding, along with moderate to major river flooding.

IMG_4051.gif

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, aldie 22 said:

Someone who works for me lives in Sarasota and they have decided to ride it out. They live in zone D at 27' above sea level. I have a bad feeling about this one.

Oh...I'm sorry.  That is such a bad decision.    My friend who moved to Sarasota in August set up some cameras before he left for the panhandle yesterday.  I'll send any video if he shares it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aldie 22 said:

Someone who works for me lives in Sarasota and they have decided to ride it out. They live in zone D at 27' above sea level. I have a bad feeling about this one.

My wife's cousin in Sarasota wanted to leave town but their work sent a memo out saying they aren't closing. I really, really hope this isn't the mindset of most businesses down there.

• Sad 4

15 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

My wife's cousin in Sarasota wanted to leave town but their work sent a memo out saying they aren't closing. I really, really hope this isn't the mindset of most businesses down there.

They saw the story about the factory in NC that didn't close and said "hold my beer"

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

They should be held criminally responsible if any of their employees are injured, killed or otherwise harmed. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

They should be held criminally responsible if any of their employees are injured, killed or otherwise harmed. 

Everything common sense seems to take a back seat to unbridled capitalism in the US.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2