Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
2024 Tropical Tracking Thread

WxWatcher007

2 hours ago, Terpeast said:

Have you noticed our hurricane seasons getting extended and lasting longer into the fall? 

Yes—there’s some data out there that shows that early August has gotten quieter over the years, while the back half of the peak, say September 20-October 20 has become more active.

We’ve had several backloaded seasons in recent years and I think if the MDR stability trend continues we will see more of such seasons as the MDR will remain hostile until stability has had time to fade.  

I asked this awhile back in a different thread, and no one addressed it. Probably because it’s such a stupid question, but I thought that I read somewhere and sometime ago that a track over Tampa was unusual. Maybe not?

I bring it up because I have generally been skeptical anytime I see a track like the one on the NHC site now. 

9 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I asked this awhile back in a different thread, and no one addressed it. Probably because it’s such a stupid question, but I thought that I read somewhere and sometime ago that a track over Tampa was unusual. Maybe not?

I bring it up because I have generally been skeptical anytime I see a track like the one on the NHC site now. 

Yes, a track over Tampa is unusual.  They are one of the most vulnerable locations, but the predominant track from the south means that it would have to be a unique track to bend it perfectly to put them in the right front quadrant.  However, Milton is completely different, coming from the west.  It'll take a couple of days to really get the track down, but a somewhat perpendicular hit to the west FL coastline could be really problematic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aldie 22 said:

Ugh I have two co workers who live in Sarasota the flooding from normal rain has been getting worse there over the years. After Helene and now this it could be catastrophic for some.

I've got a friend who just moved there from EC in late August.welcome to Florida. 

I gotta tell you guys. We at WPC along with NHC have had this potential in the back our minds for a few days now. It got real this morning through the afternoon. Not looking forward to what’s to come from Milton. At least this go around I’ll be off tomorrow for my sisters Baby Shower and then work the ERO on Monday before off the follow few days before nights. I was the lead chair for Helene, a truly surreal experience for myself. Those were my first days with no trainer in the SBF (Senior Branch Forecast) desk. I made it and I feel very confident, but it took a mental toll on all of us. Tropical season is a cruel mistress 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

I gotta tell you guys. We at WPC along with NHC have had this potential in the back our minds for a few days now. It got real this morning through the afternoon. Not looking forward to what’s to come from Milton. At least this go around I’ll be off tomorrow for my sisters Baby Shower and then work the ERO on Monday before off the follow few days before nights. I was the lead chair for Helene, a truly surreal experience for myself. Those were my first days with no trainer in the SBF (Senior Branch Forecast) desk. I made it and I feel very confident, but it took a mental toll on all of us. Tropical season is a cruel mistress 

You did a phenomenal job in the lead chair. Glad you can get some rest before this next one. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, SLPressure said:

What is the lead time for NHC, re: posting watches and warnings? And do they only post along coastlines? Maybe a dumb question, but just curious. Visiting family in Orlando at the moment.  And when was the last time Orlando was under a hurricane warning?

48 hours for a watch and 36 hours for a warning. They do issue inland watches/warnings. For Helene there were TS warnings all the way to western NC. 

Don’t know when Orlando was last under a hurricane warning but given the current track forecast it looks like this could be a hurricane across the peninsula. 

Watches are likely at some point today since TS conditions are likely by Tuesday. 

Hurricane Milton
Advisory #5A - 2:00 PM, Oct 6, 2024
        Basin                     AL
       Location                22.5 N, 94.0 W
       Moving                  E 6 mph
       Winds                   80 mph 
       Pressure              29.18 in

Ugh.   I have in-laws in Bradenton.   Unfortunately they aren't the evacuating type, and I believe will be riding it out.   They're in zone B - the second zone; which is in line with 14 ft storm surge inundation.   They're somewhat inland, but near bayous.

This is looking to potentially be the worst storm they've had there, and they've lived there for many decades.

• Sad 2

So the latest public-facing graphic looks like this.

One if the problems with this graphic, IMO, is that it leaves it very unknown / ambiguous as to what is the expected strength at landfall.    Going by this graphic - the storm could be anywhere in the range of Cat 1 to Cat 5 when it hits the coast.   Obviously a huge difference!

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, WolfStock1 said:

So the latest public-facing graphic looks like this.

One if the problems with this graphic, IMO, is that it leaves it very unknown / ambiguous as to what is the expected strength at landfall.    Going by this graphic - the storm could be anywhere in the range of Cat 1 to Cat 5 when it hits the coast.   Obviously a huge difference!

Agree their cone graphic is indeed dated and has needed a reboot IMO for some time. Don't make me bust out the sharpie.

Potentially extreme (landfall) events - maybe they could at least expand on "M" (its buried in the bottom right corner? - it could be top dead center) or include very strong direct language to open eyes at the top.  M = MAJOR HURRICANE FORECAST TO HIT FLORIDA

Know that many people don't or can't read maps. Map reading seems a low priority in our education. 

They could include a drudge style siren gif. Make a gif version with additional info and maybe even pinpointing current expected landfall, timing expanding on more than just eye's landfall, expected rainfall BEFORE, spaghetti's, prep tips or specific risks to that area. The info/graphic doesnt have to be the exact same as for OTS NLT events. We are in the digital age yet using a jpg which just seems... antiquated. 

Yep take the extremely dangerous risk of creating "panic" for extremely dangerous events. Let's live dangerously. We do anyways.

image.gif.ca46aa4b25dfc58daa21c451c1531519.gif

Latest from NHC:

Data from both Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that Milton has 
strengthened to a category 4 hurricane.  The maximum sustained 
winds are estimated to be 150 mph (240 km/h).  Milton is a category 
4 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.  Data 
from the aircraft also indicate that the minimum pressure has 
fallen to 940 mb (27.76 inches).
  • Sad 1