Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2024 Tropical Tracking Thread

WxWatcher007

4 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

I think this storm will be remembered for it's massive flooding. It looks like a real disaster for the Smoky Mountains and the Southern Appalachian Mountain region. Their will be the typical wind damage at the coast that, that area sees every few years. IMO that won't be the big story with this rain bomb. 

Agree. I cant see this reaching major status. I could be wrong. But I dont think it is going to have enough time to do it. The flooding though is going to be disastrous in the Smokey's. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

I think this storm will be remembered for it's massive flooding. It looks like a real disaster for the Smoky Mountains and the Southern Appalachian Mountain region. Their will be the typical wind damage at the coast that, that area sees every few years. IMO that won't be the big story with this rain bomb. 

Except for the storm surge in the immediate coast. But other than that, I agree

• Like 1
  • 100% 1

34 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I think it's going to get to Category 7. Lots of hot water and all that kind of stuff. Could be wrong, but I think I know enough to make a bold call.

JB says it has 15hrs and rapid intensification has just started.  So I'd say a cat 7 call is the safe play.  

• Haha 1
  • 100% 2

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Decided to hang in Perry for now but will reassess a little later when I have a better long term motion of the eye. For now, a bit far but obviously getting closer. 

2afCx4b.png

Activity has definitely picked up around here as Helene approaches. Stay safe everyone in the path. 

f2isO2u.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WeatherShak said:

NOAA plans to issue a category 4 of 4 for high risk recessive rainfall into the southern Appalachians. This is going to be unprecedented.

So…20-30 inches of rain forecast for Brevard, NC - where my father-in-law is. Beyond catastrophic for them. They have elevation. There will be landslides along with unreal flooding. 

• Like 1

Fuller update 

10 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It has been quiet all day here in Perry. There has been plenty of heat and humidity but virtually no rain as everything has set up west of here.

wzx0LbS.png

I drove around a bit earlier and the roads have cleared out substantially as stores close and board up. I’m actually surprised that a lot of places haven’t boarded up. 

gIkvE71.jpeg

If the heading holds, we’re likely to get a big hit. Some of the damage from prior storms still remains. 

RJD6Ptv.jpeg

PpTnf51.jpeg

I’m cautiously optimistic about my spot. I’m in a good building with a number of reporters, chasers, and national guard. Of course a lot of locals are here too. 

This is by far the hardest part of a chase: the anxiety of watching every frame of the radar to make sure you’re in the right location. 

Will probably start my pressure trace in an hour or two if the storm heading holds. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. I was wrong again. For gods sake dont take my views as an educated person saying them. It is beasting now. Closed off and bombs away from here. Contracting eye and a beast has been born. Prayers for the Big Bend  of Florida. Horrific for them

GeoColor - True Color daytime, multispectral IR at night

Eyewall is tightening up.  Cat 7 confirmed.  

• Haha 3