Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
2024 Tropical Tracking Thread

WxWatcher007

On 9/3/2024 at 10:39 PM, WxWatcher007 said:

People are trying to do them now with 65-70% of the season to go so yes :lol: 

Don’t get me wrong it looks bad—historically bad—but it’s like canceling winter on December 31, which people do every year as we know lol. 

If the season does bust - I've always wanted someone to start with this: "Were scientists not fortune tellers" 

• Like 2

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Just quickly, my areas of interest: 

1. BoC low/Invest 91L—80%

Looks most likely to break our NS drought. Like I said before, it’s hard to bet against the BoC topography, though I’m not sure we’d have this area as likely to pop without old 90L and the boundary assisting what was an anemic wave. Western Gulf should watch closely. 

2. Invest 92L—50%

I won’t lie. I’m still nervous that this next iteration of the MT breakdown will fail to immediately produce, but like Windspeed said the tropical Atlantic portion of the MDR is looking substantially better than it did even a week ago. The apparent organization tonight gives me a little more confidence something is developing here. 

3. MT Part II—40%

This is the eastern end of the trough that will take more time to organize, if at all. A future AEW coming off Africa may help give the area the kick it needs to develop. Models are waffling on which part of the MT develops first, but it looks like 92L is in the lead. This is the easternmost NHC orange. 

4. SE Coast—20%

There’s still a signal late next week for a low to develop along a stalled boundary, and this may factor in the eventual track of 92L. What has my interest here is 1) the further south potential for development in a more tropical genesis favored zone, and 2) the possibility of a ridge developing over the top, potentially cutting off a quick exit. Two things 99L didn’t have. Long way away so not worth much attention. 

I’m not going to declare anything until it happens, but I do wonder if the lid is starting to come off…from west to east.

• Thanks 1

This is WxWatcher007 reporting live from Gonzales, LA, just southeast of Baton Rouge. It was a long travel day—much longer than I thought at just under 2,000 miles, as I decided to adjust my staging point well east of Lafayette before my flight early this morning. 

VfAxpdh.jpeg

Here the vibe is quite relaxed, much more than usual. Perhaps it’s the fact that Louisiana has been a magnet for some of the strongest hurricanes in recent memory. In fact, on my way to Gonzalez I passed through Iowa, LA, where I spent hours in the northeast eyewall of the extraordinary beast that was Laura.

Francine is now a hurricane, and at the risk of sounding like Josh :lol:  I’m not terribly enthused. Francine is intensifying, but it is fighting dry air and now shear as it makes the turn NE and heads toward the coast. Tonight is when more significant intensification could occur so I’m watching closely. Dry air and shear could easily blunt that. 

It’s warm and humid here with some light rain and occasionally gusty winds. I should be able to rest tonight as the action is subject to take place tomorrow.

I’m closely watching the track. I think I’m in a good spot, and I chose this location in large part for its highway access to quickly get west or east if necessary. Baton Rouge is 30 minutes west. New Orleans is an hour east. By contrast, Morgan City is 90 minutes south. Obviously it’s closer to the coast so best of luck to the chasers there. 

I’d rather not have to report from Mississippi tomorrow, but we’ll see. :axe: 

As is usually the case, I’ll post when I can. @MillvilleWx is in contact with me and will let y’all know I’m ok if I lose power/cell service. 

11m7FFZ.jpeg

• Like 11