• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2024 Tropical Tracking Thread

WxWatcher007

Wind won’t be the headline under virtually any scenario, but this helps illustrate how even inland lows are likely to stay somewhat robust. It’ll be interesting to see what the NHC does with their late period forecast for when Debby goes post tropical.

Eq20ReL.png

Also, I think it’s the for a thread. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Wind won’t be the headline under virtually any scenario, but this helps illustrate how even inland lows are likely to stay somewhat robust. It’ll be interesting to see what the NHC does with their late period forecast for when Debby goes post tropical.

Eq20ReL.png

Probably so. Fire it up, tropical man!

First really angry band coming ashore in HHI now. Conditions definitely going downhill and a tornado warning close by.

Lots of alcohol procured, so we're ready...

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Eq20ReL.png

Do it, WxWatcher007. Time for a thread. You're our tropical expert. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Eq20ReL.png

palpatine-do-it.png

• Like 2

On 8/6/2024 at 8:01 AM, Weather Will said:

Looking beyond Debby...WB EPS for mid month.

IMG_3768.png

We’re going to quickly pivot from Debby to this new lemon. Forget the op runs—the environment ahead looks favorable, and the steering pattern as it stands preliminarily is for a close approach.

Beware the cutoff trough—if we can get one now, the door is opened for repeats. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

We’re going to quickly pivot from Debby to this new lemon. Forget the op runs—the environment ahead looks favorable, and the steering pattern as it stands preliminarily is for a close approach.

Beware the cutoff trough—if we can get one now, the door is opened for repeats. 

Latest run for mid month.  WB OZ EPS

IMG_3801.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

If you had a non refundable Disney trip from Aug 17-22 how nervous would you be?  

Lol dude Disney in August is like visiting Mickey on the surface of the Sun. Hurricane will at least keep you cooler 

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Lol dude Disney in August is like visiting Mickey on the surface of the Sun. Hurricane will at least keep you cooler 

I know. But there are really only 3 weeks in the year I can take the kids because of my work schedule. Xmas, Easter, or the 3rd week of Aug.   I’ve been all 3. Yea it’s hot but I’d prefer Aug. Way way way way way less crowded. Disney is good about having numerous inside attractions and places to cool off. Dress light. Being a water bottle. It’s not too bad. Bests 3 hour lines for everything the other two weeks. 

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I know. But there are really only 3 weeks in the year I can take the kids because of my work schedule. Xmas, Easter, or the 3rd week of Aug.   I’ve been all 3. Yea it’s hot but I’d prefer Aug. Way way way way way less crowded. Disney is good about having numerous inside attractions and places to cool off. Dress light. Being a water bottle. It’s not too bad. Bests 3 hour lines for everything the other two weeks. 

Yeah by late August the southern schools are back in session which drops the crowds. We went in August once and my kids wilted by 10am…

• Haha 1

GFS shows you exactly what I mean. Today’s trough cuts off and draws Debby north. If it were flat and progressive it would’ve kicked Debby east.

The very next trough is in a different location, but it effectively cuts off too…right in the danger zone. 

7 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

GFS shows you exactly what I mean. Today’s trough cuts off and draws Debby north. If it were flat and progressive it would’ve kicked Debby east.

The very next trough is in a different location, but it effectively cuts off too…right in the danger zone. 

Recurves out to sea

32 minutes ago, weatherCCB said:

GFS was a close approach 

Wxwatcher007 is spot on.

have to really watch this one.

Euro looked like it was about to do a Sandy left turn into New England at 240

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Euro looked like it was about to do a Sandy left turn into New England at 240

Odds seem (as always) low at this point. But if that trough gets cutoff or goes sufficiently negative i don't see why that -couldn't- happen. Seems lots of options are on the table (as always). But that is the big wildcard scenario IMO for east coast impacts. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 5:15 PM, psuhoffman said:

Ernesto just wants to meet Mickey Mouse

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

With all of the conversation in the main thread covering this wave, I figured it was time to start a dedicated thread.

The theme of vigorous waves emerging in the Atlantic this season continues with a new wave in the central Atlantic.

HdjFMKf.png

Models are effectively unanimous in developing this wave as it reaches the Antilles in a few days. On the ensembles, the genesis signal is robust across guidance, increasing confidence that Ernesto isn’t too far away. 

Z95oRvo.png

LnXNZc5.png

What has captured attention are two things. First, the potential development and intensification environment looks favorable. With high end SST anomalies and OHC, there will be fuel. 

g2mk2MQ.jpeg

In addition, the wave is currently south of SAL and has a very good moisture envelope, reducing the chances at least as of this post, that dry air won’t be a tremendous inhibitor. 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91hdrx4zrevreexq87pj

Shear looks manageable for the foreseeable future.

The result is the guidance signaling strong development, though at different stages. 

The second thing is obviously the track. Again—this is something for the Antilles to watch. Guidance brings this close as early as a few days from now early next week. 

Longer term prospects are unclear, but this doesn’t immediately scream as a safe recurve pattern with the potential of a cutoff trough in the eastern CONUS and ridging in the Atlantic. 

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to stay away from long range declarative statements. This is something to watch. It is not a bona fide threat to the continental U.S. at this time. Watch the ensembles and where/how the long range trough develops.

Vm1FJyz.png

KA3LMnG.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

On 8/8/2024 at 10:46 AM, psuhoffman said:

If you had a non refundable Disney trip from Aug 17-22 how nervous would you be?  

Lol, I am pretty nervous right now. I'm supposed to be in Bermuda from the 21st to the 23rd. At sea out of New York starting on the 18th. I'm getting twitchy over here.

4 hours ago, Brianonymous said:

Lol, I am pretty nervous right now. I'm supposed to be in Bermuda from the 21st to the 23rd. At sea out of New York starting on the 18th. I'm getting twitchy over here.

I've been on two Bermuda cruises from Baltimore. I'm convinced of the weirdness of that Bermuda Triangle. Both trips had interesting things happen. Both trips we were supposed to stay over night. THe first trip, something went wrong with the engine and we could only stay for a day. The second trip was supposed to be for two nights, and we lost a night. Add in a potential tropical storm. I'm a believer in the triangle. :yikes:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, adelphi_sky said:

I've been on two Bermuda cruises from Baltimore. I'm convinced of the weirdness of that Bermuda Triangle. Both trips had interesting things happen. Both trips we were supposed to stay over night. THe first trip, something went wrong with the engine and we could only stay for a day. The second trip was supposed to be for two nights, and we lost a night. Add in a potential tropical storm. I'm a believer in the triangle. :yikes:

did you so in September 2019 into that storm with the funny name?