Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
2024 Tropical Tracking Thread

WxWatcher007

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It depends on what nada means haha. If it’s no direct hit up the bay, then yes, that’s a great bet. If it’s significant impacts from a nearby TC or TC remnants that’s another story. 

No significant impacts in Maryland from a nearby TC or TC remnants.

• Weenie 2

I’d bet the opposite. I’m thinking there’s at least 1 EC threat and a fair amount of remnant activity. I guess we’ll see.

Beryl continues to be in rarified territory becoming the first major hurricane of the 2024 season. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’d bet the opposite. I’m thinking there’s at least 1 EC threat and a fair amount of remnant activity. I guess we’ll see.

Beryl continues to be in rarified territory becoming the first major hurricane of the 2024 season. 

I agree on the remnants in particular. I think we get 1-2 big rainers at some point this year from remnants. Whether we get a still active TC in the area at any point is obviously a rarer occurrence.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, frd said:

Looks like a Cat 5 right now.  

Even without functioning SFMR I think there’s enough evidence to upgrade to a 5, which is just unreal for that area of the basin on July 1.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

When your basin looks like this, it’s definitely September. 

1s0lWiO.jpeg

Yep--Atlantic calendar definitely broken. What's September gonna look like...all red? Lol Oh boy...who knows what having a Cat 5 this early and a basin looking like that this early could mean for the season. There any precedent?

56 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yep--Atlantic calendar definitely broken. What's September gonna look like...all red? Lol Oh boy...who knows what having a Cat 5 this early and a basin looking like that this early could mean for the season. There any precedent?

There’s probably going to be a limit to warming and depth because of TC activity and intraseasonal pattern changes (think trade winds) that slow or stop even more runaway warmth, but we’re in uncharted territory.

It’s almost certainly going to be historically warm and combining that with the other major factors it’s going to be historically active IMO. 

Activity comps—2020, 2005, 1933

SST comp—2023 

5 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

There’s probably going to be a limit to warming and depth because of TC activity and intraseasonal pattern changes (think trade winds) that slow or stop even more runaway warmth, but we’re in uncharted territory.

It’s almost certainly going to be historically warm and combining that with the other major factors it’s going to be historically active IMO. 

Activity comps—2020, 2005, 1933

SST comp—2023 

When did all those underwater volcanoes erupt?? :oldman:

• Haha 3

Regardless of the peak, Beryl is on borrowed time as a category five hurricane. There’s unanimous agreement that it begins to run into a ribbon of shear later today that will start to erode its vertical alignment and open it to intrusions of dry air. 

HLOFox3.jpeg

l8VDQtd.jpeg

Mqd2CEn.png

The question is the degree of weakening, which is critical for Jamaica in particular, which may receive a direct hit. Here are the four most reliable intensity models tomorrow at 15z as Beryl approaches.

JTbHdMw.png

WHaf8Bm.png

Letx8PZ.png

uR0Lv8m.png

After Jamaica, there is substantial uncertainty that only grows over time over the fate of Beryl. The models all continue to weaken Beryl as it enters the western Caribbean. The track has trended north, and into the Yucatán late week. 

ZdO0sZG.png

0Qddmyr.png

From there, it gets really tricky. Is Beryl weak enough to die over this region? Is it stronger than anticipated after Jamaica, leading to a reduced bend westward? How does the troughing in the Midwest influence a weakness that would trigger a more northwestward bend in the Gulf? What does the environment for reorganization and intensification look like in the Gulf?

All unanswered questions at this time. 

As it heads into the Gulf, there’s tremendous spread. Be wary of the specific model means, as the western/southern solutions kind of lead to an unrepresentative mean in the later stages of the runs. However, there has been a clear trend north imo in the last 24 hours which means folks in Texas need to watch closely as well. 

2viUhoq.png

Note how the Euro has two camps: one that follows the 00z operational and keeps Beryl weak and south, and another the more closely follows the hurricane models above. 

86vYVzE.png

The “super ensemble” is still favored south into Mexico, but it’s north compared to yesterday.

I8gir44.png

Basically—there’s still a lot of spread here both in intensity and track. Folks in the Yucatán and western Gulf need to keep watching this one.

xdff5eK.png

Finally, this is made very clear by these two runs of the Euro! 00z and new 06z sees substantial flip flopping continue over the intensity of Beryl as it approaches the Yucatán. 

hoi25pn.png

m1iHTBY.png

Long way to go with this one.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2024 at 9:11 AM, Kmlwx said:

That's an exceedingly safe bet EVERY year. 

Us getting hit by a named storm is a once, maybe twice a decade occurrence.

Since 2010 we got Irene in 2011, Sandy in 2012 as it transitioned into an extratropical, and Isaias in 2020 turned into a nor’easter when it was directly over us.

2 hours ago, Interstate said:

Looking at the satellite image. There is no way the winds are still 150 mph.

It looked like it briefly but recovered fast. The microwave images I posted in the other thread were incredible.