• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2024 Spring/Summer Mountain Thread

32 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Went up to Graveyard fields today and it was nice but the leaf colors were crap and if this is any indication of this Fall then it's not going to be good.20240922_160314.jpg20240922_160319.jpg20240922_161316.jpg20240922_161331.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Beautiful pics!  I took a ton on a couple hikes Friday off the BRP at Beacon Heights and Flat Rock.  

And, thanks for your info over on the tropics @Met1985.  I found you here!

• Like 1

Just now, Met1985 said:

Thank you! It was a beautiful weekend.  A little too warm but we will cool down this coming week. 

Indeed.  Where exactly do you live?  I'm not nervous about the storm, but I do want to be prepared.  5k feet elevation is up there for something like this, so I was curious what you and others have gone through in these storms 

Also @gopack42 the reason in my opinion that this past weeks tropical system wasn't that bad is because it didn't get a lot of time to develop along the coast.  It just kind of started to develop then came onshore.  What makes Hurricanes so dangerous for us with them coming from the Gulf is the intensity and the ability to develop into something major and big. 

Just now, Met1985 said:

Also @gopack42 the reason in my opinion that this past weeks tropical system wasn't that bad is because it didn't get a lot of time to develop along the coast.  It just kind of started to develop then came onshore.  What makes Hurricanes so dangerous for us with them coming from the Gulf is the intensity and the ability to develop into something major and big. 

Agree totally, and I was thinking the same.  Last weeks storm wasn't bad except for a small stretch of coast for the intense rainfall.  I actually just moved from Emerald Isle to Beech, so I was at the coast for 4 years.  I've been through many hurricanes in NC and FL over the years, so I'm not afraid of anything.  I'm more interested in the geographic influence on storms here in the mountains. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gopack42 said:

Indeed.  Where exactly do you live?  I'm not nervous about the storm, but I do want to be prepared.  5k feet elevation is up there for something like this, so I was curious what you and others have gone through in these storms 

I live on Crabtree mountain in Haywood county. There are several of us that live in pretty good elevation. 

Just now, gopack42 said:

Agree totally, and I was thinking the same.  Last weeks storm wasn't bad except for a small stretch of coast for the intense rainfall.  I actually just moved from Emerald Isle to Beech, so I was at the coast for 4 years.  I've been through many hurricanes in NC and FL over the years, so I'm not afraid of anything.  I'm more interested in the geographic influence on storms here in the mountains. 

Well floods and heavy rainfall are very different here in the mountains than the coast.  It doesn't happen a lot but when it does it gets nasty. 

1 minute ago, Met1985 said:

Well floods and heavy rainfall are very different here in the mountains than the coast.  It doesn't happen a lot but when it does it gets nasty. 

So, I imagine you want to be more concerned with landslides if you live in a valley or on the side of a mountain?  

Just now, Met1985 said:

No we aren't.  Haywood is beautiful just like several other counties.  A lot of tourism up on Beech also.

It is, but it hasn't been too bad so far.  I'm sure traffic will pick up as peak color comes in and then when ski season starts.  I've been coming here my entire life from the age of 2-3 years old and used to make it here 5-6 times a year.  Finally, I told myself that it's time to make my life dream to live here come true, so I bought a place here.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Landslides and straight line winds are the main thing if you live on the side of the mountain.  In the valley you have to worry about flash flooding. 

Understood.  I can imagine flash flooding can be very intense given the right conditions. 

• Like 1

It is, but it hasn't been too bad so far.  I'm sure traffic will pick up as peak color comes in and then when ski season starts.  I've been coming here my entire life from the age of 2-3 years old and used to make it here 5-6 times a year.  Finally, I told myself that it's time to make my life dream to live here come true, so I bought a place here.  

Nice! So you basically already know the area.  Good for you.

3 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Nice! So you basically already know the area.  Good for you.

I do!  Boone/Blowing Rock/Banner Elk are what I personally call "the mountains" (not to offend other areas of course).  I got married in Banner Elk, broke my leg severely here in Beech, about died with my Grandmother driving a younger me and my brother on 321, thought I was going to get killed by cowboys at Tweetsie as a child.....

Lots of great memories here!

• Like 1

Understood.  I can imagine flash flooding can be very intense given the right conditions. 

Yes just loot at what happened in Canton some 3 years ago. We basically had a torrential microburst at the headwaters in Haywood. In 1 hour I saw the river go from in it's banks to completely flooding all of town and it's businesses. Killed I believe 6 people also. 

4 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yes just loot at what happened in Canton some 3 years ago. We basically had a torrential microburst at the headwaters in Haywood. In 1 hour I saw the river go from in it's banks to completely flooding all of town and it's businesses. Killed I believe 6 people also. 

Oh wow.  That's horrible and very sad.  I wish there was a better way of getting people out of harms way, but those things are so quick to happen and are somewhat hard to predict as far as the impact of the flooding that could occur.  Very tragic.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gopack42 said:

Oh wow.  That's horrible and very sad.  I wish there was a better way of getting people out of harms way, but those things are so quick to happen and are somewhat hard to predict as far as the impact of the flooding that could occur.  Very tragic.  

Yeah that's the danger with very heavy rainfall in a short amount of time anywhere in the mountains really.

12 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Went up to Graveyard fields today and it was nice but the leaf colors were crap and if this is any indication of this Fall then it's not going to be good.20240922_160314.jpg20240922_160319.jpg20240922_161316.jpg20240922_161331.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I just got one question Met: Why are we posting foliage pics in the Spring/Summer thread?! Somebody has to fire up the Fall/Winter thread and if there is any hope for a decent winter in WNC, it can't be me. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 100% 1

12 hours ago, gopack42 said:

I do!  Boone/Blowing Rock/Banner Elk are what I personally call "the mountains" (not to offend other areas of course).  I got married in Banner Elk, broke my leg severely here in Beech, about died with my Grandmother driving a younger me and my brother on 321, thought I was going to get killed by cowboys at Tweetsie as a child.....

Lots of great memories here!

You're missing out on the best part of the "mountains"

• Like 4

4 hours ago, franklin NCwx said:

You're missing out on the best part of the "mountains"

I didn't mean to downplay other areas by any means.  This area is where I came growing up, so it's more familiar and I know the area better.  All mountains are amazing.  

57 minutes ago, gopack42 said:

I didn't mean to downplay other areas by any means.  This area is where I came growing up, so it's more familiar and I know the area better.  All mountains are amazing.  

No offense taken, I get that's your relationship to the mountains of NC but what's funny to me is the High Country feels less mountainous than the areas you don't associate with the mountains. Yes, you're higher elevation but there's more waterfalls, rocky terrain and overall mountainous features in the Southern Mountains of the Pisgah/Nantahala and Smoky Mountain regions. :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gopack42 said:

Yeah you should definitely check out shinning rock, Graveyard fields, dupont park, highlands, Cashiers,  and a lot of other places scattered around.  Beech and up that way is beautiful but in general WNC as a whole has a lot to offer.

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah you should definitely check out shinning rock, Graveyard fields, dupont park, highlands, Cashiers,  and a lot of other places scattered around.  Beech and up that way is beautiful but in general WNC as a whole has a lot to offer.

Of course.  I've been to Silva, Dupont, Cashiers, Burnsville, Cherokee, Nantahala, Spruce Pine, etc etc etc.  It's beautiful no matter where you are here in WNC.  I moved here by myself (I'm 47) so I am trying to meet folks who want to hike, camp, explore, etc.  I love it all.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

No offense taken, I get that's your relationship to the mountains of NC but what's funny to me is the High Country feels less mountainous than the areas you don't associate with the mountains. Yes, you're higher elevation but there's more waterfalls, rocky terrain and overall mountainous features in the Southern Mountains of the Pisgah/Nantahala and Smoky Mountain regions. :lol:

That's the great thing about WNC.  There's something for everyone.  I didn't mean to indicate that I limit myself to one area.  I'll pick up and go all over the mountains, and have spent lots of time at places like you mentioned.  I used to do lots of work at WCU and I'd go out on an off weekend and go camp all over Nantahala, Franklin area, DuPont, etc.  It's all amazing, not just one spot.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckethead said:

Lol I was going to ask you to make it this year.  Hopefully you bring some good mojo.

4 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Wiseman’s View is a favorite of mine. Great look down the Linville Gorge.

• Like 1