Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
New England 2024 Warm Season Banter

HoarfrostHubb

On 6/27/2024 at 1:08 PM, UnitedWx said:

Apparently hoarding isn't just for cats anymore...

I appraised a house in Agawam years ago for an elderly couple that had over 50 cats. They both were old and in poor health and were both in the hospital for over a month. They had no one to take care of the cats so the cats were alone in the house for at least a month. Finally, the ASPCA or some other group found out about it and took the cats that were still alive to a shelter, there was a lot of cats that didn't make it. This house had a stink like you can't imagine, the cat pee bubbled up the Formica countertop and paint on the walls, the wood trim, baseboards, everything. A contractor bought the house for practically nothing and had to gut it and had to redo the whole interior. After he was done the smell was gone and it looked good.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I appraised a house in Agawam years ago for an elderly couple that had over 50 cats. They both were old and in poor health and were both in the hospital for over a month. They had no one to take care of the cats so the cats were alone in the house for at least a month. Finally, the ASPCA or some other group found out about it and took the cats that were still alive to a shelter, there was a lot of cats that didn't make it. This house had a stink like you can't imagine, the cat pee bubbled up the Formica countertop and paint on the walls, the wood trim, baseboards, everything. A contractor bought the house for practically nothing and had to gut it and had to redo the whole interior. After he was done the smell was gone and it looked good.

Contractor may have wondered whether to leave only the foundation and mailbox, then work from there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Contractor may have wondered whether to leave only the foundation and mailbox, then work from there.

He got it so cheap that he basically just kept the foundation and the frame and still made money. He didn't know I did the house for the old couple when it was a piss house and I asked him what the house was like when he bought it, he just said it needed updating, he didn't want anyone to know there was gallons of cat pee soaked into everything, smell was gone though for the time being anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Barn update! Not as far along as I was hoping (for early July), but rafters are starting to go in place. 20ft 2x12s take a bit of muscling to get in place. 6 down, like uh, 42 to go.

20240701_175107compressed.jpg

20240704_144927compressed.jpg

20240704_144902compressed.jpg

20240704_145031compressed.jpg

You should have a barn raising like the Amish and get family and friends to finish it in one day, then throw them a barbecue.

• Like 3

Did a huge tour of NNE this weekend helping my friends move to Presque Isle, ME. Picked up the U-Haul in St. J Friday morning, loaded it up that day and took off at 7:30 Saturday morning. Ran into absolutly horrendous rain between Littleton and Gorham, NH. Flash flood warnings for southern Coos and northern Grafton counties came over the radio. Don’t know how much they got but I felt bad for the few bicyclists and hikers we saw. Got out of the rain and made our way over to 95 in Augusta. The loaded 20’ U-Haul wa somewhat impressive, I was able t keep it between 75 & 80 north of Bangor. At some point we got back into low clouds and misery mist, enough so that I didn’t bother taking my wife up to the scenic overlook of Katahdin. Got Presque Isle around 4:00 and got the truck unloaded.  Then went to Elks club in town and got drunk. 

This morning we got up around 9:00, grabbed some Tim Horton’s and hit the road south. My wife had followed with one of our friend’s 12 year old Labs and so I had a way back. I had to drop her off on Old Orchard Beach for a week with 3 of her girlfriends. Got there around 2:30 and then I headed back home around 3:30 through Sanford, ME and Rochester, NH. Finally got home around 7:00. I’m beat and man’s did I see a lot of NNE yesterday and today. 

• Like 10

12 hours ago, mreaves said:

Did a huge tour of NNE this weekend helping my friends move to Presque Isle, ME. Picked up the U-Haul in St. J Friday morning, loaded it up that day and took off at 7:30 Saturday morning. Ran into absolutly horrendous rain between Littleton and Gorham, NH. Flash flood warnings for southern Coos and northern Grafton counties came over the radio. Don’t know how much they got but I felt bad for the few bicyclists and hikers we saw. Got out of the rain and made our way over to 95 in Augusta. The loaded 20’ U-Haul wa somewhat impressive, I was able t keep it between 75 & 80 north of Bangor. At some point we got back into low clouds and misery mist, enough so that I didn’t bother taking my wife up to the scenic overlook of Katahdin. Got Presque Isle around 4:00 and got the truck unloaded.  Then went to Elks club in town and got drunk. 

This morning we got up around 9:00, grabbed some Tim Horton’s and hit the road south. My wife had followed with one of our friend’s 12 year old Labs and so I had a way back. I had to drop her off on Old Orchard Beach for a week with 3 of her girlfriends. Got there around 2:30 and then I headed back home around 3:30 through Sanford, ME and Rochester, NH. Finally got home around 7:00. I’m beat and man’s did I see a lot of NNE yesterday and today. 

Speed limit north of Old Town is 75.  I'd guess 90% of traffic went flying by you.
You could've driven like the Public Lands' staff biologist.  In 1990, driving is state pickup (full size, 6-cyl automatic, underpowered), he left Augusta at 4 PM for a 7 PM meeting at PQI, 239 miles away, the final 43 miles on 2-lane Rt 1 thru 5 small towns.  He was not late!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a bike ride on the Island Line rec path last night. This trail is on an old railroad causeway in Lake Champlain. Really cool to be riding in the middle of the lake. The headwinds on the way back were brutal. 

IMG_4572.jpeg

IMG_4573.jpeg

IMG_4571.jpeg

IMG_4568.jpeg

IMG_4569.jpeg

• Like 9

7 hours ago, mreaves said:

Went for a bike ride on the Island Line rec path last night. This trail is on an old railroad causeway in Lake Champlain. Really cool to be riding in the middle of the lake. The headwinds on the way back were brutal. 

IMG_4572.jpeg

IMG_4573.jpeg

IMG_4571.jpeg

IMG_4568.jpeg

IMG_4569.jpeg

Oh, wow! Blow boater really shouldn't be heeled so nicely through that cut, but makes for an awesome pic!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

How do you know which ones are edible? I know a Morel when I see one but other than that I'm never sure.

Lots of reading and YouTube videos.  Plus, I only pick mushrooms that are super easy to identify - as in they have no serious lookalikes.  Oyster Mushrooms are the white ones and Chanterelles are the orange in these pics.  There are some mushrooms that look kinda similar but the details are really easy to distinguish.

• Like 1

The boletes are pretty distinctive.  I've yet to find Boletus edulis, the best of that genus, but used to pick birch boletes when we lived up north.  Haven't seen any on our woodlot.
The one who told me about the boletes had a thick book on mushrooms, edible species, poisonous, non-poisonous (probably not tasty but non-toxic).  His mushroom test (tongue firmly in cheek) was to take a bite, wait 20 minutes and if one feels dizzy, don't eat any more.  He then noted that some of the most toxic ones don't produce symptoms for several hours, and the effects are irreversible.

• Like 1