Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
New England 2024 Warm Season Banter

HoarfrostHubb

Who heats with wood pellets up in here?  
I was doing some repairs (the motherboard nuked itself last Spring - I mean a real asteroid strike in circuit board land) on my stove and started thinking about how many tons of pellets have put through that thing since I got it in 2011 - averaging over 5 per year, looking at 70 + tons probably.  Feels like a lot - but probably the wood burners here have that tonnage beat easily.  It is my main heat source, and I also have oil and mini splits for heat as needed.  Hardly use the oil - only when the pellet stove breaks or pellets become scarce.    

Its pellet hoarding season now - one of the winter leading activities I enjoy - sore back notwithstanding.  

15 hours ago, cleetussnow said:

Who heats with wood pellets up in here?  
I was doing some repairs (the motherboard nuked itself last Spring - I mean a real asteroid strike in circuit board land) on my stove and started thinking about how many tons of pellets have put through that thing since I got it in 2011 - averaging over 5 per year, looking at 70 + tons probably.  Feels like a lot - but probably the wood burners here have that tonnage beat easily.  It is my main heat source, and I also have oil and mini splits for heat as needed.  Hardly use the oil - only when the pellet stove breaks or pellets become scarce.    

Its pellet hoarding season now - one of the winter leading activities I enjoy - sore back notwithstanding.  

Guessing ~400-450 tons in our 47 years (77-78 thru 23-24) as we averaged 5+ cords/year and using 3,500 lb/cord for (mostly) air dried wood.  We moved to the back settlement of Fort Kent in Sept 1981 and shoved 9 cords of mostly green wood thru an inefficient stove during a very cold winter.  Better stove/system/firewood lowered that to 6 cd/yr the following 3 winters before we moved south.

• Like 1